I'm either buying a dell desktop or laptop with windows xp pro 2 this week off ebay. Haven't made up my mind yet. Which options work better with which, and what is better overall? Thanks.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Interface, definatly.
the traditional hardware mixer is virtually redundant in the computer based studio now. forget the "computer soundcard" thing too, get an interface with as many inputs as you'll need and you're sorted.
Get the dell station not laptop, they're usually better, get pro tools LE and an Mbox of some sorts and your away!
Quote by TheDriller
Interface, definatly.
the traditional hardware mixer is virtually redundant in the computer based studio now. forget the "computer soundcard" thing too, get an interface with as many inputs as you'll need and you're sorted.

Yeah. Do this unless you plan on recording your live stuff, in which a Firewire mixer like a Presonus Studio Live/Mackie Onyx with the Firewire card/M Audio NRV10 would be an equally good idea.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
get an interface, if you want a MIDI control mixing board get it later (it is a tad redundant but some people, myself included, prefer to have a bank of sliders and knobs in front of them for mixing instead of using the mouse)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
get an interface, if you want a MIDI control mixing board get it later (it is a tad redundant but some people, myself included, prefer to have a bank of sliders and knobs in front of them for mixing instead of using the mouse)

Now in fairness a MIDI Control Desk and a Mixer are two very different things regardless of how similar they look visually

when someone says "Mixer" they are generally refering to a proper, oldschool mixer, the 16-ins-stereo-out kind of thing.
Quote by TheDriller
Now in fairness a MIDI Control Desk and a Mixer are two very different things regardless of how similar they look visually

when someone says "Mixer" they are generally refering to a proper, oldschool mixer, the 16-ins-stereo-out kind of thing.

true. although for some applications you might actually need a 16 channel mixer for computer recording, especially if you record drums, or use a lot of ambient micing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
true. although for some applications you might actually need a 16 channel mixer for computer recording, especially if you record drums, or use a lot of ambient micing.

no, if you want 16 channels of mics get a 16 channel interface, (or 2 eight-channel interfaces). a mixer just doesn't measure up to that. whats the point of micing up something if its going to be reduced to a stereo output?