ok, so first the usual stuff. Ive been playing the guitar for app.4 years, never took a lesson and i focus on inprov solos. if not improv i mostly play Guns n roses songs and i can play then pretty well.

Now to the problem. I usually sit around for half an hour at a time and improv but i don't know if the things im playing sounds good. Its pretty frustrating! I usually focus on fast blues stuff. I watch ppl improv on youtube and its great, but when i play something similar go completely confused, i have no idea if it's good or even decent. So whats wrong here, am i tonedeaf or what ?

So pit, go on and bash me or whatever you usually do but give me some fair answers inbetween.

Cheers!
Gear:

Epiphone les paul standard
Peavey Bandit 112
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Quote by _one
So pit, go on and bash me or whatever you usually do but give me some fair answers inbetween.

You're not in the pit...

Research music theory and learn real scales. Not just shapes on the fretboard, that will trap you in only 4 or 5 frets. Learn where scales come from (ex. major: wwhwwwh, minor:whwwhww) and what they sound like (ex. Harmonic minor, which is the minor scale with the major 7th, sounds middle eastern ish)
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
If you want to know if you sound good then either record yourself and listen to it at a later stage or play for someone who would be able to tell you.

And learn scales.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
If you want to know if you sound good then either record yourself and listen to it at a later stage or play for someone who would be able to tell you.

And learn scales.

+1

Record yourself is a definite.

You need to listen to it in a removed way from playing it. That will tell you if it was what you intended it to sound like.
Quote by RichieJovie
+1

Record yourself is a definite.

You need to listen to it in a removed way from playing it. That will tell you if it was what you intended it to sound like.

ah thnx guys will try ur suggestions
Gear:

Epiphone les paul standard
Peavey Bandit 112
Dunlop Cry-Baby
learn scales and theory. maybe learn a cover with an advanced solo. record yourself and listen to it or send it to youtube and hear what people say, or play for someone else.
whats most important is that you like the music (or solos) that you create and you enjoy playing them, so as long as thats in place justt work on playing with correct efficient technique and keep on trying to improve
Quote by Shukman_Jr
You're not in the pit...

Research music theory and learn real scales. Not just shapes on the fretboard, that will trap you in only 4 or 5 frets. Learn where scales come from (ex. major: wwhwwwh, minor:whwwhww) and what they sound like (ex. Harmonic minor, which is the minor scale with the major 7th, sounds middle eastern ish)

Im not trying to start a huge battle and I do advocate learning theory and the notes/intervals but learning patterns does not trap you in.

TS maybe spend more time listening to what you want to hear in your head and then playing it instead of playing and hoping its good.