uhhh..... i believe its in drop b and he plays the root with his thumb and finger picks the rest.
john mayer uses a slapping technique for alot of his songs where you slap the top string and finger pick the rest of the chord.
Quote by kai29
what, music theory-wise is he doing in this song?

look at post #5

Why didn't you just edit your post into your original one?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
im pretty sure its in some form of C minor.
like C harmonic, melodic, natural, or a minor mode.
im not sure though.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I actually broke it down a while ago and looked at every note he played in order..

i don't really remember but i think in the verses he used stacked 5th but played them in a different order.
i think it was like instead if 1 5 9 it was something like 9 1 5.
no thirds.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
If you explain to us exactly what you want to know, maybe we can help you. If you're too lazy to find out yourself or don't know any theory than an internet forum telling you is not going to help you understand it.
Quote by Myung-trucci
If you explain to us exactly what you want to know, maybe we can help you. If you're too lazy to find out yourself or don't know any theory than an internet forum telling you is not going to help you understand it.

I did ask music theory-wise in my first post. I didn't get any answers that had music theory in them. All the replies said he slap picks. I did figure it out. I was trying to find out before my guitar lessons yesterday. I didn't have sheet music so i could see the key signature. I went to the music store across the street yesterday before guitar lessons and found out it was some sort of C minor.

master plan- i shouldn't have had to edit my first post.

victoryaloy and musicTHEORYnerd - thank you both