Is it possible to switch a floyd rose to a fixed bridge - and if so how much would it cost. I have also heard about a floyd rose speed loader fixed bridge - would that be possible to use to convert a floyd rose into a fixed bridge. By the way i know you can block the bridge but the problem is that i want a guitar that i can change the tunings on easily

>>update<<

I went to my local guitar shop and talked to a guy there that knows me about the tremlo-no device - he recommended that i should buy a new guitar as he said it wouldn't be a good idea to be putting it on my other electric guitar (which is a 6 string john petrucci music man) and constantly changing the tuning of my guitar with thicker strings

Please note i will tune right down to b standard from drop d

Any thoughts?

Also if you have any other suggestions for a different guitar you can check out my other thread
Last edited by Mitch Master T at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by ortrigger
doubt it. It'd definitely be easier to just get a new guitar with a fixed bridge.

The problem is alot of the guitars that i like have floyd roses but i need to be able to switch between various tunings easily
Quote by postmortem2006
^ The only way to do that is to buy another guitar. Sorry buddy.

Ok thanks bro - guess it's off to the old guitar shop for me lol
Well I have seen a guitar that used to have a floating tremolo that has been changed into a fixed bridge. It's actually one of the Ibanez PGMs Paul Gilbert uses. In order to that, you must remove the bridge and fill all the cavities with wood glue it inside but it requires extreme accuracy and it's not really worth it. If you block your tremolo you can easily change tunings and the Floyd will not get in your way. If you want you can also block the tremolo for divebombs only, and still you would have the same tuning stability if you decide to tune lower. About the Speedloader, you'd have to change the nut because the speedloader strings require a specific nut to fit them. I say just block it, or get another get with a fixed bridge.
Quote by Amer91
Well I have seen a guitar that used to have a floating tremolo that has been changed into a fixed bridge. It's actually one of the Ibanez PGMs Paul Gilbert uses. In order to that, you must remove the bridge and fill all the cavities with wood glue it inside but it requires extreme accuracy and it's not really worth it. If you block your tremolo you can easily change tunings and the Floyd will not get in your way. If you want you can also block the tremolo for divebombs only, and still you would have the same tuning stability if you decide to tune lower. About the Speedloader, you'd have to change the nut because the speedloader strings require a specific nut to fit them. I say just block it, or get another get with a fixed bridge.

Thanks alot - would i remove the lock on the neck of the guitar if i blocked the bridge - also would it be the same as tuning a guitar with a fixed bridge from d standard to b standard for example?
it could be done, but you'd have to be able to fabricate a few parts yourself.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Mitch Master T
Wow thanks alot - would it be just as easy to change tunings as if it had a fixed bridge?

according to the FAQs and videos, if your in fixed bridge mode or dive only mode then yes!

im considering getting one of these for my jacksons now...
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Just... use the tremol-no. It looks like a great device.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
You don't really need to change it. Put a Tremol-no on, and take off your locking nut so that it's a normal guitar at the headstock end. Then you'll be fine
^You dont even need to take off the locking nut, the fine tuners are still there and it would stay in tune better with the locking nut.
I went to my local guitar shop and talked to a guy there that knows me about the tremlo-no device - he recommended that i should buy a new guitar as he said it wouldn't be a good idea to be putting it on my other electric guitar and constantly changing the tuning of my guitar with thicker strings
Hey anyone here with a tremol-no? :

Does the bridge still flutter with the tremol-no in floating mode?
i honestly dont think it would be that hard to take a broken floyd or similar bridge and fabricate a few parts yourself so the bridge would sit on the original floyd pins.

i want to try it now.

seewutididthar?

i have the equipment to do something like that, but i dont know how i could make the block hold on to the quitar body, it would still be removable.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by Mitch Master T
Wow thanks alot - would it be just as easy to change tunings as if it had a fixed bridge?

Yep, that's what it's designed for. I believe you can also use the D-tuna with the Tremel-no as well. That way you can flip into standard and drop tunings quickly.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by ortrigger
doubt it. It'd definitely be easier to just get a new guitar with a fixed bridge.

+1
Quote by conor1148

seewutididthar?

i have the equipment to do something like that, but i dont know how i could make the block hold on to the quitar body, it would still be removable.

No screws needed. Tight Bond my friend, the magic glue is all yall need

EDIT; Now i understand. Very difficult to do what you trying to do. Really im sorry, I havent slept
Last edited by divinorum69 at Dec 9, 2008,
Block the trem.

seriously, you guys make this out to be one of the hardest things ever.

Some guy made a thread last week about how he was so proud that he fixed his tuning problems because he stuck a shim under his bridge and stopped it from moving. This is no different.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/blocktremolo.htm

That's all you need. If you still want to use the trem, get your tremol-no. If not, block it, and it may as well be a hardtail with fine tuners.
------

Shwiggity.
I can vouch for the tremol-no. Very easy install, I have it on my Ibanez RG and my squier strat beater. Awesome freaking product.
As for what divinorum69 is suggesting, I did exactly that a few months back, to my Ibanez RG. I used a mahogany block to fill the tremolo cavity, and I then installed a string-through hardtail bridge to the guitar. You can't even tell it used to have a tremolo. Here's a link to a video of the process

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt17IEZutBg
Last edited by Matt420740 at Dec 9, 2008,