I have a guitar coming from Music 123 via UPS ground (3 days from Kansas City to Virginia). I know humidity and heat aren't a guitar's best friend but what about really cold temps? I'm assuming the merchandise at Music 123 is kept in a relatively climate-controlled environment but once a guitar leaves their warehouse and sits on a UPS truck for 3-4 days and the temps are in the teens or 20's how does that affect the wood?

I'm not really worried or anything...just more curious than anything else. This is how guitars get shipped all over the world so if it were an issue everyone would be complaining about it.
its changes in temperature and humidity that are the worst thing. a rapid change can make the wood warp and the paint crack... great fun
Should be fine, guitars are pretty tough critters. You only get problems in prolonged cold, heat, humidity but not short periods.

Unless we are talking fire hot, sub zero cold and scubadiving.
WTLTL 2011
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll probably put it in my basement for a few hours when it first arrives. It will probably be a block of ice when it comes off the truck so warming it up slowly in the basement (coldest part of my house) will be less traumatic to the wood...and I'll just keep an eye out for tuning issues, cracks in the paint, etc...
Leave it in the case at room temperature for a few hours before you open it.
Quote by Roc8995
Leave it in the case at room temperature for a few hours before you open it.

Lol thats a hard thing to do when you get a new guitar
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Vandals572
Lol thats a hard thing to do when you get a new guitar

Haha, you beat me to it...that's exactly what I was going to say. The good thing is I'll get the guitar after work around 6:00 so I'm just going to leave it in the case and shipping box overnight and open it the next day. That should be plenty of time for it to warm to room temperature slowly.

I have to admit, though...it's going to be tough not to open it right away!!!

I'll be strong though...
Last edited by stevem326 at Dec 8, 2008,