hey, i am looking at getting a noise suppressor and gate pedal, I know boss do these as two separate pedals - is there one which combines both?

thanks
Why do you need a suppressor/gate?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
A noise supressor and noise gate are the same thing, you don't need two, unless you have a really noisy chain of pedals. I have an MXR Noisegate and my rig is plenty quiet.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
A noise supressor and noise gate are the same thing, you don't need two, unless you have a really noisy chain of pedals. I have an MXR Noisegate and my rig is plenty quiet.

wrong, they are not the same thing.

I've personally tried the ISP decimator, Boss NS-2 and the MXR smart gate. Boss NS-2 added noise, MXR sucked tone, ISP did the job perfectly.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Tackleberry
Not sure how people played guitar before noise gates and suppressors!

Quite simple, they didn't use boat loads of effects. They did it the hardcore way and plugged a guitar straight into an amp.
A noise gate clamps off the signal after it drops below a certain threshold and doesn't let any guitar signal go to the amp. This can kill your sustain but it does work.

A noise suppressor actually reduces noise produced, which is why the amp itself sounds less hissy and staticy when it's engaged. These can kill your sustain but more importantly they thin out your tone when you're holding out notes for a while.

You're going to want to disengage either of them when you're playing clean or lead work. Honestly, you're better off being able to tolerate some noise, control your feedback, and really learn how to use your gear before buying a noise reducer. Mine is off the majority of the time. I'm playing with much less gain than I used to but sure, it's still helpful.

There is a slight problem with either one. You're going to have guitar noise, and amp noise. Running one noise reducer in front of the amp will not silence the amp's preamp noise. Running one in the effects loop will not reduce any guitar/effect noise. Honestly, they don't do you any good unless you have 2 of them.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
A noise gate clamps off the signal after it drops below a certain threshold and doesn't let any guitar signal go to the amp. This can kill your sustain but it does work.

A noise suppressor actually reduces noise produced, which is why the amp itself sounds less hissy and staticy when it's engaged. These can kill your sustain but more importantly they thin out your tone when you're holding out notes for a while.

You're going to want to disengage either of them when you're playing clean or lead work. Honestly, you're better off being able to tolerate some noise, control your feedback, and really learn how to use your gear before buying a noise reducer. Mine is off the majority of the time. I'm playing with much less gain than I used to but sure, it's still helpful.

There is a slight problem with either one. You're going to have guitar noise, and amp noise. Running one noise reducer in front of the amp will not silence the amp's preamp noise. Running one in the effects loop will not reduce any guitar/effect noise. Honestly, they don't do you any good unless you have 2 of them.

ISP G-sharp or ISP rackmount have 2 seperate processors, so you can use it in 2 spots at once.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
wrong, they are not the same thing.

I've personally tried the ISP decimator, Boss NS-2 and the MXR smart gate. Boss NS-2 added noise, MXR sucked tone, ISP did the job perfectly.

sorry I didn't know the difference, so many people use the terms interchangeably.

I've never noticed a loss in tone with my MXR except a little loss in sustain, but with a high end amp like yours it could rob some tone.

Personally my amp would be unplayable wihtout it, VK's feed back like crazy. Plus It's really useful for those quick starts and stops in breakdowns where you want it to be dead silent.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
No worries:p When I played a VK it wasn't all that noisy though, what are you playing through it?

I've never used a noise gate/supressor with my Blackmore, this amp is pretty quiet and my EMGs aren't exactly noisy either. I tried out a bunch of gates/pedals back when I had a B-52 AT 112 which I boosted with an OD. ISP won hands down, MXR was ok and the boss was horrid
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by Mark G
ISP G-sharp or ISP rackmount have 2 seperate processors, so you can use it in 2 spots at once.

The Rackmount is like $400

the G-string is a pedal. It however only allows you to adjust 2 different loops with one knob.

2 seperate decimators ftw.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Mark G
No worries:p When I played VK is wasn't all that noisy though, what are you playing through it?

I've never used a nosie gate/supressor with my Blackmore, this amp is pretty quiet and my EMGs aren't exactly noisy either.

I've got a hellraiser with EMG's going into a Ibanez Weeping Demon>OD>Smartgate>VK gain around 7.5 or 8. Plus i'm sitting pretty close to it and lots of electronics (PC, TV, 360 etc)

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Also to add... I have my ISP set to the ragged edge so basically my hands almost have to be on the strings at all times to kill the sound. Theres a sweet spot that will allow you to keep sustain, fullness and still kill anything you can throw at it. You just have to set it up correctly and know your gear. And when im not playing I turn the volume off on my guitar so no sound comes through till im playing and then im either playing or have one hand on the strings so it works out for me.