I have thus far been self taught for the most part. I took a few lessons here and there but my instructors were more interested in A.) answering their cell phone during lessons, and B.) not teaching me the basics and diving right into “what songs do you want to play?”. I tried to communicate in English and explain that I feel that I am lacking a grasp on note construction, ear tuning, various scales and modes and so forth. It seems instructors are more interested in breezing through things rather than spending the necessary time to make sure I understood one thing before moving to the next. So, my question for you fine folks is two fold; how do I properly interview a potential instructor and does anyone know of a good instructor in Michigan (northern Oakland county to be specific)?
Quote by binfordtools
I have thus far been self taught for the most part. I took a few lessons here and there but my instructors were more interested in A.) answering their cell phone during lessons, and B.) not teaching me the basics and diving right into “what songs do you want to play?”. I tried to communicate in English and explain that I feel that I am lacking a grasp on note construction, ear tuning, various scales and modes and so forth. It seems instructors are more interested in breezing through things rather than spending the necessary time to make sure I understood one thing before moving to the next. So, my question for you fine folks is two fold; how do I properly interview a potential instructor and does anyone know of a good instructor in Michigan (northern Oakland county to be specific)?

Well you have to remember that guitar teachers probably have a handful of students that don't _really_ want to play guitar. They played guitar hero at their friend's house, so now they think they can play real music. But seriously, I'm sure there's a good number of people that don't actually listen to the advice of their teacher, maybe that's why yours had gone so lax.