Ok, my friend gave me an epi special and the only problem is that it has dead notes, or frets or whatever, so any way to fix this?
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Can you describe further?
I have an Epi Special, and the 21st fret is always raised up, so fret 20 never works, and always sounds like fret 21. Don't know if thats what your talking about. If it is, just try to hammer it in gently with a rubber hammer or the likes.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
well the 18th fret on the high E the 16the on the B and the eighth on the A don't play the correct note.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I had the same problem on an acoustic. Take it to a luthier, he'll do a fret dressing. I had that done at the same time as some other repairs (glue injected where top was coming apart from bracing, and new bone saddle.) and it ran me $180 US, about a year ago.
i got an epi/gib strat, and my 12th has the same probelm

i've phoned up some guitar shops by where i live and you can get new frets put in, it's just a bit costly.

so it is possible to fix, but different guitars/shops may cost more than others, just shop around
Quote by Dempsey68
i got an epi/gib strat, and my 12th has the same probelm

i've phoned up some guitar shops by where i live and you can get new frets put in, it's just a bit costly.

so it is possible to fix, but different guitars/shops may cost more than others, just shop around

He's trying to con you. You don't need new frets, a fret dressing (where the frets are ground and polished level) is all you need.
You can dress them tourself but you have to be sure thats the problem. Also check your strings aren't dented as this can also cause the problem.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 8, 2008,
thanks guys.

Quote by denizenz

I had a similar problem when I bought some ernie ball heavy bottom strings, and my action was too low, so I had to raise the bridge a bit and that fixed it
"For whiter teeth......try a F*CKING toothbrush!"
aswe all know, strats have horrible fret jobs (hangs over the edges) so apparently the gutiar fell and a fret got caught and came out...got it re-fretted for like, 70 bucks...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!