20 29%
Yes, becasue SOMETIMES it is uselful
26 38%
No, because i have 1 and never use it
7 10%
No, because i don't have one but find them pointless
15 22%
Voters: 68.
Is it better to have a whammy bar (a floyd rose) or to not have one...

Don't use a searchbar joke because I wanted to know if it is better to have one or not for styles like: Guns n' Roses, KISS, Motörhead, and maybe a bit of Black Sabbath.

I know they are all totally different but they are the general idea, closer to KISS than anything else.
(guitar in question = schecter omen-6)
Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
Is it better to have a whammy bar (a floyd rose) or to not have one...

don't use searchbar joke because i wanted to know if it is better to have one or not for styles like: GnR Kiss Motorhead, maybe a bit of black sabbath

i know they are all totally different but they are the general idea, closer to KISS than anything else.
(guitar in question = schecter omen-6)

well ... only kiss use tremelos, slash uses a tremelo in like one song
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
*resists urge to link that video with the kid explaining "how to whammy without a whammy!"*
I prefer floyd rose trems but they are a ball ache to maintain and changing strings can seem like more effort than it's worth.
I would Get one any way... btw start writing your own music, or jamming more... that's the only way your gonna improve
Gear:
Squire Hot Rails Stratocaster
Dean MXL (for Sale)
Marshall DFX 100 Amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Vox Wah
Korg AX3G

Soloist Build!!
you can use it in any genre. i use mine to add flavor to my playing, i dont do dive bombs much but what i use mine for is to bend up and down to notes, vibrato, flutters, and the dive once in a while.
Why would you need a whammy? You know, I could show you how to whammy without a whammy. You don't see Slash or...Buckethead, yeah, that guy with the bucket on his head and the Chuckie mask, using whammies, do you?

*ahem*

All jokes aside, tremalos are great to have, but can be a pain if you change tunings a lot. I personally don't have one, but the next guitar I get will have an OFR. They can add a little bit of "cool" to your playing if you use it right.

EDIT:
Quote by seljer
*resists urge to link that video with the kid explaining "how to whammy without a whammy!"*

AW MAN! NOT COOL!!!

...beat me to it.
Quote by G-Dog_666
I prefer floyd rose trems but they are a ball ache to maintain and changing strings can seem like more effort than it's worth.

you are kidding right? i dont see whats so hard about it.
Quote by seljer

This

For what you're looking to play then I'd guess not, but I always prefer having a trem on my guitars

EDIT:

Quote by G-Dog_666

They're really not, I did a complete restring (10-46 to 11-54) and tuning change (Drop D to Drop B) including all the adjustments in half an hour the other day
ohai little sig.
Quote by Multiplayerjon
I would Get one any way... btw start writing your own music, or jamming more... that's the only way your gonna improve

I do, I just play 'in the style of' above bands

Quote by seljer

Please? Me wanna see
EDIT: seen it

EDIT:
look at the comments on youtube, they dis UG

Last edited by CrimsonBizzare at Dec 8, 2008,
The Rose is the best by far in my opinion. I use it a lot but am trying to cut back....anyways I have to have it there if I want it.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
you are kidding right? i dont see whats so hard about it.

I can't find original parts anywhere for my particular bridge. The supplier I got them from stopped selling them. And as far as changing strings is concerned it isn't that I find it hard to change the strings, it just takes more effort than my Strat i.e. Cutting of ends off strings, stretching the strings and balancing the bridge so all the strings stay in tune.

EDIT: They're really not, I did a complete restring (10-46 to 11-54) and tuning change (Drop D to Drop B) including all the adjustments in half an hour the other day

Demonikk, I can do all that in less than half an hour if I want but I can do my Strat in less than 10 minutes. Knocking a good 20 minutes off if we go by your time. So extra effort is required.
Last edited by G-Dog_666 at Dec 8, 2008,
If you're used to having a fixed bridge, it takes a little while to adjust to a floating/knife edge bridge. But once you get the hang of it, the tremolo system opens a new ground of musical possibilities....

....and by new ground I, of course, mean Dive Bombs.
Quote by Tempoe
The Rose is the best by far in my opinion. I use it a lot but am trying to cut back....anyways I have to have it there if I want it.

there are much worse addictions

but there's always the Leo Fender Whammy Rehab Clinic if you need to get clean
if you have a crappy one you will never use it because you know it will go out of tune...so if you are going to have one, get the best. (OFR)
Quote by G-Dog_666

Demonikk, I can do all that in less than half an hour if I want but I can do my Strat in less than 10 minutes. Knocking a good 20 minutes off if we go by your time. So extra effort is required.

That's fair enough, just personally I don't find < half an hour more effort than having an FR is worth and it's not really a ball ache for me either
ohai little sig.
Abusing a whammy bar is an easy way to acheive great stage prescence
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Tempoe
if you have a crappy one you will never use it because you know it will go out of tune...so if you are going to have one, get the best. (OFR)

i have a licensed jackson model. from what i have read they wear out after a year. i have had mine for going on 5 years now, and i have never had a problem with it. i guess mine is one of them "golden child" trems kinda like kerry kings marshall.
if you have a fixed bridge right now I'd get one with the whammy...I like having a guitar thats fixed and one thats not...
I can't find original parts anywhere for my particular bridge. The supplier I got them from stopped selling them. And as far as changing strings is concerned it isn't that I find it hard to change the strings, it just takes more effort than my Strat i.e. Cutting of ends off strings, stretching the strings and balancing the bridge so all the strings stay in tune.

EDIT: They're really not, I did a complete restring (10-46 to 11-54) and tuning change (Drop D to Drop B) including all the adjustments in half an hour the other day

if your looking for parts try through floyd rose first, but there are others like stew mac and a few others.

a few tips for string changes that i have found to be time saveing.
if the strings you use ends at the windings (Ernie ball) dont cut the ball ends off. just string them backwards.

if your changeing guage or tuneing. make a block for under the fine tuners that will position the trem were you normaly have it sit (mostly level) once you do that take all the strings off (dont worry its not as bad as people make it sound.) then string it up, tune up. then make the adjustments to were its slightly raised above the block you made, streatch the strings till they are broke in. take the block out, and adjust the spring tenstion till its back were you had it (small turns)
Fender style vibrato bridges are nice to have. That's it though. Floyd Rose, Stetsbars, Bigsby tailpieces... they can all go jump.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Fender style vibrato bridges are nice to have. That's it though. Floyd Rose, Stetsbars, Bigsby tailpieces... they can all go jump.

and your reason being? or are you just a fender fanboy?
I have no problems with setting them up...can be a pain in the butt when you just want to get down to playing though.

If you reckon you'll use it, go for it. If you don't think you will...don't.

Simple as that.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
and your reason being? or are you just a fender fanboy?
You may notice in my sig I own a Gibson Custom Shop, an Epi LP, another LP copy, and no mention of Fender guitars.

Okay so there is the Fender amp I want but that's it.

The reason is comfort, ease, and use.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
it doesnt really matter but i always say its better to have it and not use it, then need it and not have it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OONnAVIQ3I

and for your styles you dont really need one, but its all up to you.
Instead of a floyd you could get a synchronized trem or a bigsby or something.
not the same as floyds, obviously.
If you already have a trem, than not to whammy.
If you dont have one and your sure your going to use it, then to whammy.
floyd rose=think kerry king solos
hard tail=think dave mustaine solos.
i think guitars sound better hardtail though
I love to have a floyd rose on my guitars if they come with one because they are really nice to use when doing a solo or just showing off, but for what you play you don't exactly NEED one.....it's more a matter of personal perference in a way because some people I know won't even play a guitar that doesn't have either a Floyd Rose or a Whammy bar on it.....
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by xander307
Abusing a whammy bar is an easy way to acheive great stage prescence

Edit: sigged
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...