I've got a Fender Squier Strat Affinity series and want to upgrade the pups with EMG DG20's. Anyone done this combination before?

Forgive my ignorance, but is a squier pretty much the same as a real stratocaster, just with much cheaper, beginners pickups etc?

The body is Alder, neck Maple with Rosewood fingerboard. I've just bought some GHS Boomer Dave Gilmour strings. I'm a pink floyd fan, so would the combination here be pretty close to Gilmours guitar, or am I fundamentally flawed with the cheaper guitar.

Thanks

Ben
i suppose the neck and body are solid on a squire, i dont think so much about the neck though.

most people would suggest saving up for a nicer used guitar (used guitars are the way to go in my opinion). but if you are dead set on that guitar i say go for it
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
It's probably not worth it. If you like the neck enough, then go for it. I wouldn't though..I mean, the DG20s are $310. I'd want them on a guitar with a decent bridge, tuners, and neck.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Your amp affects your tone more than your pickups do. Invest that money in a really nice amp instead.
Quote by bellerophon
Your amp affects your tone more than your pickups do. Invest that money in a really nice amp instead.

+1

YES!

Very good idea. Of course, the downside of getting a new amp is that it will reveal the shrill tone of the Squier's pickups. But it's a much better investment, and you can worry about the pickups once you have a good enough amp for them to matter.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was under the impresson that pickups, body and strings were the core factors with the guitar itself (if we forget about amp for now), so how does bridge, tuners, and neck come into it?
the amp is round 60% fingers 25% then the rest is the guitar etc
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by benfidge
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was under the impresson that pickups, body and strings were the core factors with the guitar itself (if we forget about amp for now), so how does bridge, tuners, and neck come into it?

The hardware can affect sustain, tuning stability, etc. but doesn't change your tone a whole lot. The neck has a lot to do with how the guitar "plays." Essentially, if you like playing the guitar unplugged but don't like the sound plugged in, you need to change something about your amp, pickup, equalizer etc. With electrics, if you like the way a guitar plays, you can always mess with how it sounds (to a certain degree), which is why aftermarket pickups are so popular!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer