View poll results: scary?
yeah, hella scary
48 29%
naw, they're cute
32 19%
ride the walrus
85 52%
Voters: 165.
lets assume they were peaceful. it doesnt mean we would be able to understand what there purpose here was, but would it scare you to know that unknown species with superior technology could come to earth whenever they want?
How's the mexican restaurant going?

Probably not... There's already lots of things we can't understand within our world (paranormal)
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Dec 8, 2008,
What's ride the walrus?

And if they were peaceful... then... I dunno, it'd be funny to see how the religious nutjobs respond to it though.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
If they were peaceful I wouldn't be scared. Why would we care if we don't understand their purpose here when we don't know our own purpose here?
I don't think I'd be scared, assuming they're friendly.

If we visited an alien planet and found life, would WE want to wipe it all out completely?
It's all cool. If they were peaceful, then we would have no reason to be afraid. Except when one of the leading dumbasses of the world gets ancy and gets us all killed.

First contact(if it hasn't happened yet) could welcome a major leap in technology and hopefully, world politics.
Would be interesting I guess, but, to vaguely quote Stephen Hawking, on our own planet we don't have a great history or tolerance and co-habitation with species or people of 'lesser' intelligence. For example, the mistreatment of the Native Americans and Aboriginals, so if they did turn up, if they were anything like us, they'd probably exploit us or just annihilate us straight away. But peaceful aliens, that's another matter entirely! You'd hope that aliens of higher intelligence had managed to evolve beyond our culture or exploitation.

I'm taking it too seriously, aren't I? Damn it.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
it's very unlikely
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by imdeth
Ride the walrus!

If they look anything like the chicks in Species I won't be scared

Like this?

They can sex me to death anytime.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
ride the walrus! also, what BLToast said
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Well seen as though we have'nt come into contact with them publicly, i don't think they would after a few more years!
Unless ridiculous precautions are taken, chances are the environment repercussion from such an event would be huge. A lot of **** would die. There'd be good reason to be scared, even if both sides had only the best of intentions.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
I'm a huge Trekkie so I don't think I'd be too scared. The Vulcans were pretty chill, right?
We're only strays.
Quote by Craigo
They have the technological ability to visit us. They could annihilate us very easily.

So yeah, I would.

Just say for instance, the 'aliens' live on the moon*, and are located in a completely different colour sprectrum. Therefore, we humans could not see them, but they may be able to see us. They would be just as scared about us on their planet as we think we would be if they were visible on Earth.

*Replace moon with any planet we can access.

Kinda irrelevant to the thread, but it's something to think about I guess.
How could you expect serious answers with an option in the poll named: "Ride the Walrus"?

Quote by NielsWho
How could you expect serious answers with an option in the poll named: "Ride the Walrus"?

Wow

D:
Depends if there here to Kill me.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Hm aliens living here, alien rights, mega overpopulation.

Quote by KwikKopy

If we visited an alien planet and found life, would WE want to wipe it all out completely?

If we were desperate for some kind of resources, or if the aliens were some huge destructive primitive flesh eating lama's , then maybe we'd consider wiping some out.
Quote by imdeth
Ride the walrus!

If they look anything like the chicks in Species I won't be scared

'Yeh thats good.... hey get that tentacle out of there!'
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Lord Matt
Hm aliens living here, alien rights, mega overpopulation.

District 9?
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
WARNING: SERIOUS POST AHEAD!

1) Are aliens intelligent?
-Well, they've got a spaceship, don't they?. So yes, they are.

2)Is their intelligence comparable to ours?
There are different forms of intelligence. For example, there is logic, which helps analysing and interpreting nature among other things, there is also something called social intelligence, which helps us interact and live with others. Those aren't the only forms of intelligence, but they are the most important for what I'll try to explain a bit later.

The key to understanding human intelligence is understanding it's heritage, which means understanding that it is the result of millions of years of evolution, which means that it is nothing but a 'tool' that helped our species survive. Mammals like humans best live in groups that can protect the individual from it's enemies, be that predators or starvation. That's where our social intelligence stems from: Without it, humanity would have died out; we need the help of each other, because we are small, week, slow and therefore totally f*cked when we're on our own.
All our ethics that we just 'feel' are right come from that. We feel obliged to do what is best for the clan. We're genetically predispositioned to be social beings.

But how about aliens?
If we assume there are unbelievably many possible ways how their species might have evolved because of different living conditions, how big are the chances that they have developed the same morals? Let me say this again: Ethics are a direct result of evolution!
Some animals eat their own kind, maybe they do so, too? Maybe they don't think the life of an individual has some value. They might live like bees, where every 'person' just serves a purpose and is killed if he doesn't do what he's supposed to. Or maybe they just won't view us as equal to them and won't even care about us. Or eat us for dinner because of that.
There is a chance that we share SOME views with them, but nobody can tell how many.
So even if they come with peaceful intentions, chances are we just won't get along.

Another thing is the level of intelligence.
How are the chances that the aliens are EXACTLY as smart as we are? Not so very high, as there are different forms of intelligence, all developed to a different standard in each species. If they are only a little less intelligent, we will probably get bored with them and won't be able to see them as equal beings. They on the other hand, won't be able to comprehend our actions and will have to assume that they are chaotic and senseless.
It's even worse if it's the other way around, if we are the dumb ones: We won't know how to deal with our new super intelligent 'friends' and will never be able to tell if they're doing us any good or if they are screwing us over. They might even come to the conclusion that we are mere dumb animals and don't deserve to be treated like an intelligent species. Well, why not? From they're point of view, they have every right to assume this.
And because I still don't have a clue about their ethics, I can only imagine the sh*t they might put us through.

tl;dr: You better be scared.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 8, 2008,
Yes.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I'd show them the kama sutra.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
you sir, are the master of UG because of your ability to post while at the same time riding a unicycle and drinking beer.
Quote by Craigo
They have the technological ability to visit us. They could annihilate us very easily.

So yeah, I would.

Not if their civilisation isn't based around war.
What I just said is a lie.
Ride the Walrus!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Bring them a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a bottle of Jack Daniel's, my guitars and show them a good time!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals