So my friend wants an electric guitar for christmas and hes looking for one 150 bucks max. Hes gonna be playing through just a little practice amp so tones not gonna be a huge deal and hes pretty new so he doesnt need extra features and stuff. So whats a good solid guitar for someone whos just starting to play? Please dont bring up names like squier and first act.
well squires arent that bad to star off with. but if u really dont wat squire, look at Epiphone or Ibanez
Quote by gpowsang
well squires arent that bad to star off with. but if u really dont wat squire, look at Epiphone or Ibanez

Squiers are terrible.
Ibanez are where im leaning him towards even though im not a huge fan of them but im looking for specific models more.
I played a Yamaha Pacifica 112V at guitar store the other day, the one with humbucker in the bridge, stratocaster shape and it had a bit better quality pups than the regular 112 or something like that. Very nice guitar, only cost about $300cad at this shop. I played it through a Peavey 20W tube and the guitar was very versatile and seemed of very good quality for the price. I currently play a mexican Strat and I was pretty impressed by this Yamaha, so I would look into one of those.

EDIT: a Yamaha 012 is $150 right in your budget. I'd still inspect the guitar before buying it, just laying it out there that I was impressed by the quality of the Yamaha 112 for the price.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Last edited by MustangSVT at Dec 8, 2008,
fenders were my bridge to finer guitars....he'll learn about what really makes a guitar and how to evaluate neck bow, intonation, bridge height etc..etc..etc...

a squire would be fine to start one. since he's knew - he's not going to be overly concerted with tone attributed to different wood types etc..

musiciansfriend.com has some great starter pack deals:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

Something like this is a little more but you get some decent equipment to start with.
you can't go wrong with a Yamaha Pacifica

the best starting guitars out there.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by .:st.anger:.
fenders were my bridge to finer guitars....he'll learn about what really makes a guitar and how to evaluate neck bow, intonation, bridge height etc..etc..etc...

a squire would be fine to start one. since he's knew - he's not going to be overly concerted with tone attributed to different wood types etc..

musiciansfriend.com has some great starter pack deals:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Stop-Dreaming-SE-Special-Pack-With-Squier-SP10-Amp?sku=513287

Something like this is a little more but you get some decent equipment to start with.

I love fender and have my one strat (american of course) but i hate their low end guitars.
Im just looking to get my friend the best deal i can.
dude i have a squier HSS strat, and its a good guitar, as long as you change the strings and set it up once in a while. just cause squiers are cheap doesnt mean their the worst guitars. yamaha pacificas are also not that bad, but i dont like the <$200 epiphones
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Reported for move to electric guitar forum.

But, honestly some Squiers aren't bad. You just have to try them out. Maybe check out Agile? I'm not sure what they have in that price range.
i think to really repot a thread you muat pu the reported between * so, *reported* so this thread goes to electric guitar forum.

and by the way, i have a Yamaha EG-112, and me and all my friends think it is a good value guitar. it might be $200 dollars i guess. maybe you could get the price lower if payed in cash....

I think that is pretty much the better guitar for the price, but in this site they say there's a Dean for 170$ that is good too, but i dunno remember which one it was...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2