I have been playing guitar for just over a year, and I know very little theory. I know the chromatic scale, how to construct major and minor chords using major and minor thirds, the circle of fourths, and intervals (Unison, perfect 4th, Octave). I want to do GCSE music next year, but I'm worried I'm gonna fail if I don't know enough theory. What am I going to need to know to do well?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Learn how the Major and Minor scales work and learn the harmony within it. You'll get an A* easily.

I know quite a lot of theory, and I'm doing GCSE music; so far, for the exams, that's all I've needed to know. For my composition, I used some modulation as well as what's stated and got an A.
Try buying some classical theory books (graded). You don't have to do the exams but it should give you a decent head start. In grade 1 and 2 you;ll be learning about intervals and sight reading, scales and then in higher grades you learn about cadences and inversions. It will improve your musician ship heaps. Also, there is a great lesson on UG called Music theory-the beggining to help you out. Good luck!
Quote by _-Joey-_
even after a year i still dont even know that much & i took GCSE... im boned aren't i?!

me too lol
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Cool. Thats quite a relief. I already know major and minor pentatonics. Is that what you meant? Or natural minor scale? By the harmony do you mean Aminor goes with a C major chord type of thing?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
I have been playing guitar for just over a year, and I know very little theory. I know the chromatic scale, how to construct major and minor chords using major and minor thirds, the circle of fourths, and intervals (Unison, perfect 4th, Octave). I want to do GCSE music next year, but I'm worried I'm gonna fail if I don't know enough theory. What am I going to need to know to do well?

GCSE is piss, you don't need to know anything to pass it no matter what subject it is. Just jump through the hoops. Only utter retards fail GCSE. And, if you know that theory already there's no chance of failing whatsoever.
harpsichord is a sign of baroque music, and gamelan is an indonesian orchestra - thats all i learnt at gcse music and i got an A
I know balls about theory, and i got a high B in my mocks, and both my performance pieces are A*s. Go for it!
"Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea
for the Devil sends the beast with wrath
because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding
reckon the number of the beast
for it is a human number
its number is six hundred and sixty six."
You do not need to know theory. Any theory required is very very basic and is taught to you very clearly during the course.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
You do not need to know theory. Any theory required is very very basic and is taught to you very clearly during the course.

...unless you have a **** teacher like mine