So after 2 days of attempting all day to fix my edge 3 on my RG (which I accidentally messed up btw.) I finally caved and dropped it off for a full setup at the local guitar store today. It will be done in 10 days but in the meantime I have a few questions that I forgot to ask at the store.

Once it is in tune how long on average does it take for it to go out of tune?

Once it goes out of tune can I retune it only using the fine tuners or do I need to use the tuning machines?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
How did you mess it up?

10 days for a set-up? That's outrageous, my local does it in about an hour, tops!

Oh well. When you get it back, if they've put new strings on, ask if they've stretched them out. If they haven't, do it yourself, (try not to break them :p), and tune up using the machineheads. Might do this a couple of times. When it's in tune and locked down, in theory, it should stay for aaaaages, but since the strings are new, expect a fair few retunings before they settle, depends how much you play it. When they do settle, should last for a long time.

When you change your strings again, just rememeber...one at a time.
I know thats what I didnt know at first

Basically how I messed it up is that I took all the strings off at once therefore my springs popped out of my trem and I couldnt get it back to the right tension so I finally gave up today and took it in.

Yeah the reason why is because its the only store here so everyone gets their setups done there and he has alot of them to do right now.

But should I be able to retune with fine tuners once the strings are stretched?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
So after 2 days of attempting all day to fix my edge 3 on my RG (which I accidentally messed up btw.) I finally caved and dropped it off for a full setup at the local guitar store today. It will be done in 10 days but in the meantime I have a few questions that I forgot to ask at the store.

Once it is in tune how long on average does it take for it to go out of tune?

Once it goes out of tune can I retune it only using the fine tuners or do I need to use the tuning machines?

wow 10 days!!!! that shouldent take that long.

for your questions.

depends on how you abuse it. and how you have it set up. i only tune mine once a week and i abuse the hell out of it. and when i go to re tune it its only slightly out of tune.

you could use the fine tuners depending on how much range the fine tuners have left.
The fine tuners only have so much range that they can move within, so if your guitar drops out of tune beyond a certain point, you will have to use the main tuners. Generally speaking, however, your fine tuners should be all you need to re-tune under most circumstances.
no
You'll run out of tuning screw 'space' if you don't tune up with the machineheads first. You should tune with those first, then finetune once it's all locked down to get it perfect.

I know the irritation of the no tension thing though...my new guitar came with the bridge popped out, so i had to take everything off and re-adjust it. It's worth learning to do yourself though, saves money.
Quote by Mazzakazza
You'll run out of tuning screw 'space' if you don't tune up with the machineheads first. You should tune with those first, then finetune once it's all locked down to get it perfect.

I know the irritation of the no tension thing though...my new guitar came with the bridge popped out, so i had to take everything off and re-adjust it. It's worth learning to do yourself though, saves money.

I agree with that and I tryed but it frustrated me so much that I wanted to quit guitar for a minute lol. It will be in tune when I get it back but I was just wondering if I had to use the machineheads once it goes out of tune.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Depends how far it is out of tune, is all. Sorry if that wasn't clear

If it's very out of tune, you won't be able to get it to pitch using the fine-tuners, and will have to adjust the machineheads.
Ah Ic the edge scares me now ever since I messed it up lol.

EDIT: Yes it takes 10 days because im currently like 20th in line for a setup, and he only works mon-thurs
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Dec 8, 2008,