Page 1 of 5
i did a search and it came up with nothing. so ill just post it anyway

what are your personal 5 favorite or must-have punk albums of all time?
In no order (exept the first one)

London Calling-The Clash
Walk Among Us-The Misfits
Rocket To Russia-The Ramones
Zen Arcade-Husker Dü
Kerplunk-Green Day
Albums usually don't really matter much to me when it comes to punk because it's not really album-oriented music. But some important punk-related albums for me have been

Ramones - s/t
Television - Marquee Moon
The Clash - Sandinista
Operation Ivy - the CD comp with most of their music
Richard Hell - Blank Generation
Quote by lavazza
I just thought not to write in this theread anymore, but.......

Werty? Sandinista as important "must-have" punk forum? that´s a bit bizarre

I guess it proved that the Clash could do anything.

I'm just gonna cop out and go with werty's answer.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by lavazza
Werty? Sandinista as important "must-have" punk forum? that´s a bit bizarre

I was thinking that, the only thing it comes top in is having the most filler!

Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I guess it proved that the Clash could do anything except for doing a second album that wasn't chock full o' crap.

Fixed.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I was thinking that, the only thing it comes top in is having the most filler!

Fixed.

I think a good chunk of it is great. Granted, some of the dub stuff is boring.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I think a good chunk of it is great. Granted, some of the dub stuff is boring.

As with London Calling, if they'd have had a bit of self-restraint when decided what tracks would make the record, they'd have had a fantastically brilliant single album.

As it stands, it's basically a turd with a few pieces of sweetcorn in.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
As with London Calling, if they'd have had a bit of self-restraint when decided what tracks would make the record, they'd have had a fantastically brilliant single album.

Good point. Another trick Rancid picked up from them.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
It's a shame that Rancid couldn't pick up the good aspect of the Clash!

One of the few things I like about the Clash was that they were (in theory) one of the few bands throughout history that could really advance and move forward in their music without sucking doing it. There are very few groups that have been able to do that.

And even the Clash weren't perfect in their execution - if only they'd executed Bernie Rhodes and not MJ!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
One of the few things I like about the Clash was that they were (in theory) one of the few bands throughout history that could really advance and move forward in their music without sucking doing it. There are very few groups that have been able to do that.

Yeah, they did advance and mature (not in a Frank Zappa way where any artistic maturing was completely intentional) in their eight years of existence. I'll admit a lot of stuff reeks of filler, but I still think they could pull off almost any style.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Damaged - Black Flag
Does This Look Infected - Sum 41
Take Off Your Pants and Jacket - Blink 182
Blink 182 - Blink 182
Civil Disobedients - Capdown
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
^Leave.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Yeah, they did advance and mature (not in a Frank Zappa way where any artistic maturing was completely intentional) in their eight years of existence. I'll admit a lot of stuff reeks of filler, but I still think they could pull off almost any style.

Maybe not ANY style, but they were extremely versatile.
In no particular order:

Op Ivy - Energy
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
The Clash - London Calling
The Misfits - Walk Among Us
Black Flag - Damaged
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by lavazza
you might be surprised, but we had some of these threads, sometiems with 10 and sometimes with 3 albums........so it might be a good idea if jordan puts a certain eye on this (on more ibanez owner with his gear in his sig)

Eat my ass and balls.

Top 5
5. Crass - Christ The Album
- Crass were never that great at tunesmithing imo, but on this album there were moments that seemed almost catchy and fun. The lyrics (which always amount to political rants over music) are also great, kind of a time capsule that still is pertinent today.
4. Minor Threat - Complete Discography
- Fun, rocking hardcore punk. Although the lyrics aren't that great.
3. Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters
- Even if it weren't that great an album, this one gets the spot because it's the first punk record I ever bought. I still have it, but the case and liner notes are torn to crap.
2. D.O.A. - Something Better Change
- This is one of those rare records that doesn't have a dud on it. It's a furious, fun, political ass-kicker of a record. And Canadian!
1. The Clash - The Clash
- This is pretty much the only Clash record I regularly come back to. I think it captures the zeitgeist of late 70s British punk rock.
no
Quote by RizzoWashburn
^Leave.

Ouch man.. i just prefer pop punk.. excluding black flag of course
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by xander307
Ouch man.. i just prefer pop punk.. excluding black flag of course

And so you're posting in the punk forum?
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
The stooges - the stooges
The Clash - London calling
The Ramones - anything
MC5 - Kick out the Jams
The Sex pistols - Never mind The Bollocks
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by BrianApocalypse

As it stands, it's basically a turd with a few pieces of sweetcorn in.

I know what you mean, but I'm the type of person who likes to have every song I can find by bands I really like. There's only one Clash song I've ever heard that I don't like (it's called Midnight to Stevens, I believe, and it's awful). So I don't necessarily think of slightly less catchy or slightly less inventive songs as filler. And since they intended to sell their multi-disc albums for the price of a single-disc, I think it's acceptable for them to include some "filler."
I'm the type of person that finds grevious fault with bands that aren't consistently brilliant. It doesn't matter if it's essentially free, because it's tarnishing the group's name.

And please, look me in the eye and tell me that 'Straight to Hell' is a good song. To me, it's completely unworthy to even belong to the band that did all those fantastic songs in the seventies.

As much as I hate Led Zeppelin, for instance, I acknowledge that at least they didn't sully their reputation by putting out nothing, rather than putting out crap.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I'm the type of person that finds grevious fault with bands that aren't consistently brilliant. It doesn't matter if it's essentially free, because it's tarnishing the group's name.

Coming from a Jethro Tull fan.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Oh! Oh! I wanna play!
Does it have to be "punk" punk? Cause I think I'm gonna make mine a bit more encompassing...but still pretty essential to the punk movement.

1) Aladdin Sane ~ David Bowie (maybe not his most influential, but definitely the most 'proto-punk' in sound)

2) Blank Generation ~ Richard Hell and the Voidoids (This album pretty much defines punk for me. Mixes experimentation, poetry, and rock 'n' roll)

3) The Velvet Underground and Nico ~ The Velvet Underground (best product of the 60s, in my humble opinion)

4) Lust for Life ~ Iggy Pop (I feel like Iggy definitely reached into a lot of emotion here, while retaining punk energy)

5) Self-Titled ~ New York Dolls (The swagger here was so undeniably bad-ass, plus Thunders' guitar playing really shaped how so many early punk bands played)
DOWN&OUT
1) Lucky - Fifteen
2) Extra Medium Kickball Star (17) - Fifteen
3) Buzz - Fifteen
4) Swain's First Bike Ride - Fifteen
5) Choice of a New Generation - Fifteen

Noticing a trend?
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Coming from a Jethro Tull fan.

JT didn't do anything THAT crap. Sure, there was a lull after A Passion Play, but the 'lull' records like Minstrel, Too Old to Rock and Roll do stand up as good f*cking records.

Songs from the Wood do make them look proper sh*t though!

Even Catfish Rising, which I hold as the weakest Tull studio album, I can listen to without skipping tracks.

That said, I can't comprehend how awesome Tull would've been if they hadn't been Anderson's Autocracy.

In fact, name me a band better than the Tull that only had one songwriter - bet you can't!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
JT didn't do anything THAT crap. Sure, there was a lull after A Passion Play, but the 'lull' records like Minstrel, Too Old to Rock and Roll do stand up as good f*cking records.

Songs from the Wood do make them look proper sh*t though!

Even Catfish Rising, which I hold as the weakest Tull studio album, I can listen to without skipping tracks.

That said, I can't comprehend how awesome Tull would've been if they hadn't been Anderson's Autocracy.

In fact, name me a band better than the Tull that only had one songwriter - bet you can't!

The Fall

I don't know if they're better, but they've managed to overstay their welcome without getting that bad.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
The fall aren't a bad group. I wouldn't call them that good. They have some decent songs, but IMHO I wouldn't bother getting every album.

Also, Mark E Smith's wife, Elena Poulou is f*cking hot.

There must be a better group than JT with one songwriter. Think, man!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
The fall aren't a bad group. I wouldn't call them that good. They have some decent songs, but IMHO I wouldn't bother getting every album.

Er, Tom Waits count?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
Er, Tom Waits count?

Ooh, he's ALMOST as good as Jethro Tull.

Thing is, because he's a solo artist, it's normal for him to assert that much control. So no, Tom Waits does not count. But he is damn talented.

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Ooh, he's ALMOST as good as Jethro Tull.

Thing is, because he's a solo artist, it's normal for him to assert that much control. So no, Tom Waits does not count. But he is damn talented.

His arrangements are amazing.

I GOT IT! The band Impailed (sic) Northern Moonforest. Bassist/Vocalist/Primary songwriter Sean Copley is a sexy beast.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Last edited by HiImKindaNewAnd at Dec 8, 2008,
That's a really hard question, and this list will probably change by next week......

Feeding of the 5000 - Crass
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables - The Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains - Bad Brains
Meat Puppets II - The Meat Puppets
Dorkrockcorkrod - The Ergs!

I'm excluding folk punk from that list because it's pretty much a totally different genre.

Jack my swag
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Can we say Bowie? Cause the Spiders From Mars were a legitimate band...even though he is a solo artist, he has a habit of picking the same people to work with for long periods of time...

Hell, I just like talking about Bowie. he'ssopretttyyy
DOWN&OUT
Quote by BrianApocalypse
They are actually really good, in a f*cked up way!

Probably a cue that I've done too many drugs.

The arrangements? They're great, really creative.

As for INF, don't let those thirty-second clips of sound Copley comes up with twenty seconds prior to recording intimidate you. He don't even remember how to play them after he sobers up.

EDIT: That name exists? DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Check the edited post!

Ditto

I really wish that it wasn't taken.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Page 1 of 5