Hey all - got a quick question for you - I am shredder from the 80's - what I'd really like is to learn the blues... without going and taking lessons if possible... anyone know of any good online sites with free lessons - or maybe a good blues guitar book you bought that was worth the money...

I know this thread is boring - but I have scoured the web and not found much... I really am dying to learn the blues -

thanks in advance for the help and for dealing with such a stupid thread!
learn red house by hendrix
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Youtube.

Look into Blues Scales, and other scales that have been used toplay blues.

Done.

That's what I did anyway... I'd search for endless amounts of bluesy songs, then analyze them.
Shredder from the 80's, what did you do, time travel?
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
use pentatonic minor scale withh an added flat 5th ^^
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Shredder from the 80's, what did you do, time travel?

No, he's me.
This is the Blues scale in the key of A, at the 5th position. It's helped me alot when i was learning the blues. You can also mix the Blues scale and Dorian together for a more unique sound blues riff. Just depends on what u wanna do.

*starting at 5th fret
|--O--|------|------|--O--|
|--O--|------|--O--|--O--|
|--O--|------|--O--|------|
|--O--|--O--|--O--|------|

I suggest a book called Guitar Grimoire (about $23) to help u with scales. It has both the Major blues scale, and the blues pentatonic scale. but they're pretty much the same. You can also use all-guitar-chords.com. It has alot of scales, chords, chord progressions, etc.

or if u like goin by ear, buy the jimi hendrix album called :Blues. it's got alot alot of blues songs like catfish blues, bleeding heart, hear my train a comin', red house, and all that.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
you sir, are the master of UG because of your ability to post while at the same time riding a unicycle and drinking beer.
Quote by Metadyjital
thank you all for the serious replies - I really appreciate it!

In all seriousness, go check out the Musician Talk forum, there's actually a "how to play blues" section in the FAQ sticky.
Godsmack IV - I hate to sound like a bigger moron than I apparently already sound like but is that on this site?

Thanks for the help

by the way for clarity - I started playing in the 80's: Malmsteen, Demartini and all those guys - so I can shred, but I don't have allot basic guitar foundation - that was my point
this could be a troll...
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Quote by Metadyjital
Godsmack IV - I hate to sound like a bigger moron than I apparently already sound like but is that on this site?

Thanks for the help

by the way for clarity - I started playing in the 80's: Malmsteen, Demartini and all those guys - so I can shred, but I don't have allot basic guitar foundation - that was my point

Discover all the different forums on this site and what they're for:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/

Then go to Music Talk: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
Someone call the Ninja turtles!
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
The blues lessons on this site are pretty good. Look into them.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt