Alright, so i have a red/yellow burst jackson Dgx10 that i got a year or so back, its a great sounding guitar, the floyd is pretty good about keeping it in tune too.

now id like to either modify it or buy a totally new guitar, i really love this guitar (lightweight, nice thin flawless neck, good floyd, freakin beautiful in person).

now would i be wasting money by doing these mods or should i get a new guitar?

-Drill for 4 pots/ 2 push pull pots
-dead switch (on/of switch, not button, for playing live, dont like messing with knobs on stage alot)
-tremol-no system, or similar
-81/60 emgs (still not 100% set on this)
-18v mod
-if i need it for when i have the trem locked ill be getting full sized tuners too. (has minis now)

this sound good? id be looking at maybe somewhere around $300ish for all this, i can do all the installation myself.

or should i jsut get a new guitar?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
i would say worth getting if you like the guitar. even if you get a prs mods are still gonna make it 100times better for you.

i just got my S series modded..tonezone neck coil split, piezo input drilled piezo bridge installed, EMG 81 coil split bridge, killswitch, blocked bridge, earvana nut, polished frets, straplocks
Quote by A7X08
you should post a pic of the guitar

only good picture i have of it, ignore the cords on the floor, crooked picture, crappy pvc stand, the schecter in the background, and torn up paper towel on the ground (thanks dumb dog). there my most recent two purchases so i had them together for the picture
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Dec 8, 2008,
Don't get full sized tuners.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You could always find the same guitar used, THEN do the mods to IT and have a backup then, if you love the mods you've made, do them to the original once you get the cash.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
You could always find the same guitar used, THEN do the mods to IT and have a backup then, if you love the mods you've made, do them to the original once you get the cash.

if i was going to do that i might as well just do the mods to the guitar i have already..

i have plenty of backups/main guitars anyways.

beside the point but kinda funny-
for marching band i play guitar, so my goal is that i play a different guitar for each football game, i almost have enough if i pool guitars with a friend of mine (who has two). the band director finds it funny.

but thats not the only live performances i do
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

-Drill for 4 pots/ 2 push pull pots

Just get stacked concentric pots. Do you want coil splitting? Then yes to the second part.

-dead switch (on/of switch, not button, for playing live, dont like messing with knobs on stage alot)

You're better off buying a cable with a circuit-breaker switch. Planet Waves makes one.

81/60 emgs (still not 100% set on this)

I still don't get why so many guitarists are crazy about EMG pickups, but whatever floats your boat. If you like the tone they give you, go for it.

-if i need it for when i have the trem locked ill be getting full sized tuners too. (has minis now)

They won't fit next to each other. Stick with the stock tuners, they're pretty good.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
+1 to EMG's First time I tried one of those, they were awsome to my ears. Still havent got gutiar that haves them.

-1 to killswitch push pull. Hey its easier to roll down the control to cero, I have push pull for coil spliting and in no way spliting the coils is easier than turning the knob to cero.
Also IMO coil splitting is not worth on stock pickups, but if you really like single coils do it

cant argue about the rest. Dont know whichs the difference between mini and full size tuners
alright, thanks, i think im going to go with the tremel-no and the emgs first.

still deciding on if i want to drill for 2 more pots or just use two push pull, i dont really like constantly jerking on my guitars.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
alright, thanks, i think im going to go with the tremel-no and the emgs first.

still deciding on if i want to drill for 2 more pots or just use two push pull, i dont really like constantly jerking on my guitars.

Two additional pots will give you individual tone and volume controls for each pickup. Push/Pull pots will give you the option of splitting the coils of your pickups. They do completely different things. What exactly do you want to be able to do?
I Japanese Fenders
I am just curious how do you play guitar for marching band? do you use a wireless system? I have never seen this done before
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
EMGs have different value pots than regular pickups. i don't know if anybody makes push/pull pots in that value. and they come with the pots and jacks pretty much pre-wired anyway
what effect are you looking for from the push/pulls anyway? i don't think you can split or series/parallel emgs.
Quote by GravyFish
Two additional pots will give you individual tone and volume controls for each pickup. Push/Pull pots will give you the option of splitting the coils of your pickups. They do completely different things. What exactly do you want to be able to do?

two tones and two volumes, thats it.

according to sethp, it looks like i get to drill the holes
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

you can have 1 vol knob control 2 pickups and 1 tone knob control 2 pickups. but i don't know if push/pulls are made in the right value for emgs
Quote by Kolanski
I am just curious how do you play guitar for marching band? do you use a wireless system? I have never seen this done before

for a guitarist/bassist who actually marches, yes.
for 90% of guitarists/bassists they just play on the side lines usually with a chord.

they are a part of the "pit" which is the bells/marimba/gong/etc., basically anything on the sideline that is played.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
two tones and two volumes, thats it.

according to sethp, it looks like i get to drill the holes

Use concentric stacked pots. Here's a link!
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by GravyFish
Use concentric stacked pots. Here's a link!

that would work with the emgs?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by sethp
http://www.emginc.com/support.asp

under "FAQ" scroll down to:
"Do you make 25K concentric pots?"

ok, so i could get them through emg too. sweet
...now to find a emg dealer, none in the immediate area, and dont really want to pay shipping if i could get it cheaper in a store
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
ok, so i could get them through emg too. sweet
...now to find a emg dealer, none in the immediate area, and dont really want to pay shipping if i could get it cheaper in a store

I'll order some for you, if you live around Marietta, GA.
I Japanese Fenders
If your gonna go actives I would go with SD Blackouts they are like emgs on steroids if I remember correctly (never used them just heard about them)
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by GravyFish
I'll order some for you, if you live around Marietta, GA.

im incredibly close to the Marietta area. how much could you get them for?

do you own a guitar store or something?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Use concentric pots, don't drill a hole in that guitar! If you used push/pull pots, the value of, say, the volume, if you pulled it to control the tone, would automatically go to 10, and vice versa.

I'd also recommend looking at Seymour Duncan Blackouts before committing yourself to buying EMGs. I've never seen the appeal of active pickups, but I those are the pickups I'd get if I was going active.

If you're using a killswitch, make it On/Off/On, you don't want to nudge it and accidently cut your signal.

18v mod and tremol-no I have no objection to.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
alright, ill check it out.
thanks

anyone else?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.