Page 1 of 3
To preface, this might be a stupid question, but I'm not sure. I never really cared for death metal as much because of the lack of melody unti I heard Necrophagist. Muhammed is a very talented guitarist. The thing is I really don't like the lyrics as much. So all the lyrics are either satanic or about gore and whatnot (at least from the first death metal bands and the ones I've read about). Are there any that are not like this? Or am I being stupid because that is part of "death" metal?
Quote by zero716
Or am I being stupid because that is part of "death" metal?

Yes. But I guess you can check out later Death for more philosophical lyrics. Even though it's not quite death metal.
Opeth.

Some of my favourite lyrics ever. Check out the "Still Life" concept album's lyrics.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Common topics of death metal -

Old School Death -
Gore, Horror, Torture

Technical Death -
Perspection, Symbolic Speech, (Rest same as Oldschool)

Melodic Death -
Love, fear, gore, symbolic speech

Brutal death metal -
same as oldschool but with huge emphasis on gore

Blackened death metal -
Satanism, Ancient cultures, sex, gore

Progressive Death Metal -
Heavily varied

Doom/Death -
Love, Loss, Death, Symbolic Speech

Deathgrind -
Gore, Death, Torture, Fear

Some of these genres are simplified a bit and I use symbolic speech as a loose term. This is also based on the more prominent bands, as if I picked every friggin' band then I'd have to make a two or three post...post on all the topics bands use.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by zero716
To preface, this might be a stupid question, but I'm not sure. I never really cared for death metal as much because of the lack of melody unti I heard Necrophagist. Muhammed is a very talented guitarist. The thing is I really don't like the lyrics as much. So all the lyrics are either satanic or about gore and whatnot (at least from the first death metal bands and the ones I've read about). Are there any that are not like this? Or am I being stupid because that is part of "death" metal?

Other than brutal death and grind (CC, Dying Fetus, Pig Destroyer etc.) not many bands are about gore. And very few are satanic unlike black metal.

There are some great bands with great melody and lyrics like Arch Enemy, personally my favorite band. Awesome guitar playing and tone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
If you get into melodic death metal there is a lot of great lyrics ex. OLD in flames, scar symmetry
If you really care about lyrics, then death metal isn't the best place to be looking as most bands consider the lyrics secondary to the music. However, there are plenty of bands which don't describe gore (or satan). You're best off just looking for the more melodic/technical side of death metal. Ie. Dark Tranquillity, Edge of Sanity, Amon Amarth ("viking metal", whatever), Quo Vadis, Psycroptic.

But just for an example off the top of my head, look at Nile. Death metal about Egypt. There you go. None So Vile era Cryptopsy also had nice lyrics, although gory.
I've found Jesus
Quote by zero716
So all the lyrics are either satanic or about gore

not really satanic mate, that's black metal's thingy.

but sure, you have satanic death metal bands, you allso have satanic trash/power/metalcore band, it's not really linked to death metal.

the lyrics might be gore but still, I love the genre, a nice piece of aborted/in-quest/yyrkoon can really kickstart my day
Try Cynic's Focus (youtube it first), Nevermore's This Godless Endeavor (barely DM vocals, definitely DM guitar), Death's later stuff (like Symbolic, Human, etc.), Opeth's whole discography (proggy but still DM)...

Do you listen to melodic death metal? like In Flames' first few albums, Arch Enemy, Insomnium, Scar Symmetry, Amon Amarth? If not, try 'em out.

But generally no, classic DM bands like Possessed, Morbid Angel, and Unleashed very much enjoyed them some satanic imagery.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Opeth.

Some of my favourite lyrics ever. Check out the "Still Life" concept album's lyrics.

Not death metal.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Not death metal.

Ok, "Progressive" Death Metal.

If that isn't Death Metal, then melodeath isn't either.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Is there some sort of noob filter that enables people like TS to only listen to Necrophagist when they ask for tech death?
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I don't even think Necrophagist are that great... I don't get why every last week metalhead worships them.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
As far as tech death goes, Origin is another absolutely amazing band. Not sure about their lyrics though.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by nebiru

I always saw them as a "death" rather than "extreme". I was led to believe the "extreme metal" tag was used when it was a combination of death and black metal...

And just because that website says so, doesn't make it true, but I shall accept your point.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Opeth's own Myspace even classifies them as "Progressive/Metal"
Quote by BobMarleysGhost

And just because that website says so, doesn't make it true, but I shall accept your point.

Actually, metal archives is basically the #1 source on metal on the web.

And, extreme metal means a combination or use of stylistic riffs or whatever relating to all or most of extreme metal (i.e. doom, death, black, folk, and melodeath riffs are common in Opeth's music).

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I do listen to In Flames and just found Scar Symmetry. I need to listen to Injsomnium but I really like their song Mortal Share and a couple others. I guess there are a lot of blurred lines with death metal because I wouldn't have considered Insomnium or Scar Symmetry melo-death bands. I like Opeth also. I will listen to these bands and let you guys know what I think. Oh, and I like Nile's guitar work but the way their singer sings annoys me. Not because it's "too hardcore" or something dumb, haha, but just because it is annoying to me.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
I always saw them as a "death" rather than "extreme". I was led to believe the "extreme metal" tag was used when it was a combination of death and black metal...

First of all, it's metal archives. They win.

Secondly, if you look at the roots of their music, early on you could probably say melodic death metal/black metal, but now, their sound leans heavily towards 70's prog music.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Actually, metal archives is basically the #1 source on metal on the web.

And, extreme metal means a combination or use of stylistic riffs or whatever relating to all or most of extreme metal (i.e. doom, death, black, folk, and melodeath riffs are common in Opeth's music).

Well, the vocals are (half the time) death metal.

How come metal archives is so knowledgeable? Isn't the info submitted in a similar manner to wikipedia?
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost

Vocals don't entirely make up the music.

You know...the rest of the instruments kind of do as well

And unfortunately for you, Opeth don't really have blast beats/tremolo/wank solos.
I've found Jesus
Quote by BobMarleysGhost

How come metal archives is so knowledgeable? Isn't the info submitted in a similar manner to wikipedia?

Firstly, it's based ENTIRELY around metal, the users there are mostly huge fans and the people that made it are "true" metalheads.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by BobMarleysGhost

Yes, but it's also heavily moderated.
Quote by \m/Gaz
I miss the days when Necrophagist were okay to like

You know what, so do I.

I loved them in the beginning, and then all of a sudden, BAM!!! The entire metal community knows about them and every 2nd person is talking about Muhammed like he was god. Don't get me wrong, he's a really good guitar player and live musician, and the material is fun to play (or try to play). But he's not god. Necrophagist didn't revolutionize metal.

But the fact that people are always jizzing all over them somehow interferes with my liking of them. It's a stupid mentallity, but it's what somehow happens.
I've found Jesus
Quote by metal Lover
Not to mention the fact that you have to have 500 points (veteran), to edit the articles.

I signed up right when it opened and never even bothered to use my account.
Quote by Contraband

And unfortunately for you, Opeth don't really have blast beats/tremolo/wank solos.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm learning

Why is it unfortunate for me that Opeth don't have "blast beats/tremolo/wank solos"? I don't want to change Opeth so that I can mash them into a specific genre stereotype, I like them regardless of the fact that they are not "Progressive Death Metal".
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
I'm not arguing with you, I'm learning

Why is it unfortunate for me that Opeth don't have "blast beats/tremolo/wank solos"? I don't want to change Opeth so that I can mash them into a specific genre stereotype, I like regardless of the fact that they are not "Progressive Death Metal".

It would have been unfortunate had you been a stubborn little noob. Now that you know the troof, be off and spread this knowledge to your brethren. Begone!!!
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
It would have been unfortunate had you been a stubborn little noob. Now that you know the troof, be off and spread this knowledge to your brethren. Begone!!!

Testify!
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Contraband

Blast beats aren't even an integral part of DM really. Nor are solos.
Quote by mortiis999

Maybe not, but they are fairly commonly used in old school death/modern dm. So as far as genres go, they're death metal creations/conventions. Perhaps as far as guitar is concerned, for dm, it'd just be tremolo, power chord riffs ala thrash metal (but faster) and wanking. For drumming it'd be *generic thrash beat sped up*/double bass. And bass isn't important olol.
I've found Jesus
Quote by mortiis999

But his point remains valid, Opeth are less "death metal" than I believed.

Quote by Contraband
And bass isn't important

This made me laugh.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Last edited by BobMarleysGhost at Dec 8, 2008,
cough....Pestilence....cough
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Page 1 of 3