OK, before I start, i'm not on about the short annoying kid with the Russian accent from Dexter's Laboratory. I'm on about the guy from the Showtime show who kills things.

I'm doing an essay on his character, and my teacher is adamant he's a villain, solely because he's a cold-hearted serial killer. I disagree, arguing about how he is compelled to and has opted to focus only on those who 'deserve it.' That shows some evidence of empathy, and also the fact that he is compelled to generates some sympathy. I also state how he has created a life and encouraged others to believe he is normal, and how difficult that would be.

I guess on some level I admire Dexter...

What do you guys think? Villain, Anti-Hero or what else?

ps. loving Season 3, can't wait for the finale!
his sister is really annoying
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Tell your teacher morals are subjective. Then laugh as he wipes his tears from his sweatshirt with leatherpatched elbows.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by BobSlay
I prefer the cartoon guy...

Totally.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Dexter appointed himself Judge, Jury and Executioner without the consent of society at large, that makes his actions wrong.
Oh man, the latest episode was full of so many epic Vince lines. Thank God they decided to put him a little closer to the front in season 3.

But yeah, the issue is to do with morals, and the question of whether any type of cold blooded muder is morally acceptable. Keep in mind that in an essay you don't actually have to conclude that he is either good or evil, you can just present evidence for and against and conlcude that different people will judge his character differently based upon their own morals, like the characters in the show.
Quote by freedoms_stain
I'd totally do her.

+500000 and his mother is totally hot, in a milf kinda way
Anti-hero maybe? But it's your choice... It's subjective. Do you think the murder can be justified?
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
He's a kind of tragic anti-hero. He knows he's a monster and a threat to society, so he only feeds his demons with people who shouldn't be in society. However, I don't ever condone murder, so it goes both ways.

I love that show, and I wish he would kill Deborah because she is so God damn annoying.
I haven't got to season 3 yet, I'm just about to watch the last episode of season 2.

I just got into the show last week and I have to say I find him to be an anti-hero. Your teacher is a douche.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Dexter's the man, he is a future version of myself, but I can't say no more so I'll stop here before I incriminate myself any further.
The show rocks!

edit:if anyone shares his vision and lives near London, pm me! >_>
Quote by JakdOnCrack
He's a kind of tragic anti-hero. He knows he's a monster and a threat to society, so he only feeds his demons with people who shouldn't be in society. However, I don't ever condone murder, so it goes both ways.

I love that show, and I wish he would kill Deborah because she is so God damn annoying.

I agree, but with the exception that I believe that as long as the end justifies the means, i.e. Society getting slightly less crap as a result of one man taking matters into his own hands. Also, he does it slyly so that the general public have no idea he's doing it and they are happy believing that Miami is just getting better by itself, not at the hands of a meticulous killer.

Deb really is a pain in the ass, albeit a hot one
Quote by freedoms_stain
I'd totally do her.

+1

I wouldnt know whether to class him as a hero or an anti-hero. He knows he has something evil inside him, yet instead of letting it run wild, he keeps it tethered and only lets it out when he deems appropriate. He only kills those who deserve it (in his opinion, murderers all) and not before researching them in depth and ensuring he has the right target. The few times he may have killed without proper research were under extreme duress and kind of understandable...
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
I love dexter, brilliant show, picked up one of the books recently, not as good as I imagined
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Dude I really think you should read the manga Death Note if you like things like Dexter, that can and will kill people but only the ones who deserve it.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by JackWhite333
Dude I really think you should read the manga Death Note if you like things like Dexter, that can and will kill people but only the ones who deserve it.
Light Yagami killed anyone who got in his way, he became a monster in the end.
Im a firm believer of "the end justifies the means"
Hence the reason some of my favourite fictional characters are Dexter, Rorschach and V.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
Ahhhhh What?! There's a season 3? I haven't watched season 2, it's never been played in Australia!
I've watched every episode of Season 1 and it was awesome.
GOODBYE BLUE SKY
Watched and read the first two seasons. It takes forever to make its way over here so haven't seen the 3rd one yet. Might start watching it online.

As for the character... probably is a villain.

Although there is a quotation about some Discworld novels that the best form of hero might be a villain working to a set of rules.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by M.O.P
Ahhhhh What?! There's a season 3? I haven't watched season 2, it's never been played in Australia!

*link removed*

Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
First of all, Deb is awesome. I don't know how people can not like her!

And, I have a hugely biased opinion since I love the character of Dexter, and if he was real I wouldn't consider him a villain at all.

But yea, he's not a villain.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
God damn Harry and his code!
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
Best show ever. I love all the manipulation going on, although it was better in season 1 where these was one murder each episode.

I never think the death penalty is right so I wouldn't like him if he was real, but he's not a villain in the show because he's the main character and you're meant to want him to succeed.

EDIT: I thought Deb was hot until I realised she looks like a praying mantis.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by M.O.P

Season 2 is on ten midway through next year. You can get it on dvd though. I did. Is great

and Deb has the BEST ass.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Last edited by titsmcgee852 at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
+500000 and his mother is totally hot, in a milf kinda way

His mother? The one who got killed with a chainsaw when he was a kid?

Quote by M.O.P

*contemplates completely blowing the end of season 2*
Quote by archangels666
*Reads thread title*

*leaves*

Same...
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!