I posted this in the pit, but i was helped into seeing it would be better here. I'll go into greater detail.

So, I started on an acoustic (squire) migrated to an electric, (Artcore semihollow) and finally settled on to my Takamine 12 string. It is my favorite guitar, And i love the sound it gives off.

I found it easy to switch, but It took me a while to learn all the little things you need to do get the best sound out of the instrument.

I was just wondering what you guys thought about 12 strings.
It was fun at first, then I started getting annoyed by the half hour of tuning it takes everyday (I'm a maniac with tuning, everything has to be pitch perfect) ... Other then that I enjoy the sortof chorus sounds it gives, it adds alot more to being creative with it.

My favourite would still be the classical-spanish guitar for me.
Simple in design, yet a warm tone and it allaround just feels natural to me.
Last edited by Nielsyboy at Dec 8, 2008,
What 12 string did you have neilsyboy? I'm a stickler on tuning too, but i've never really had that problem. Perhaps you tune by ear? I can tune by ear but i use a tuner cause it cuts down time.
Quote by equaltocody
What 12 string did you have neilsyboy? I'm a stickler on tuning too, but i've never really had that problem. Perhaps you tune by ear? I can tune by ear but i use a tuner cause it cuts down time.

Yes, indeed I tune by ear ... I tend to trust my ear more then a tuner ... Which is kind of weird I guess, plus I don't even own a tuner. So the 12 string is a bit inconvenient for me ... Yet it still rocks, nothing beats the power of an open chord on a 12 string acoustic, i always nearly jizz all over the place when I struck the first chord on a 12 string

And I have no idea what brand it is ... Its an old one I got from my friends dad who got it from a collegue ... Suppose it has lots of history behind it.
Last edited by Nielsyboy at Dec 8, 2008,
I always used to tune by ear and still do occasionally especially doing octave drops for drop d...but seriously get a tuner it really does make life much easier!
I have an Ibanez 12 string and love it, tuning isn't a problem for me since It has a built in tuner that works surprisingly well. For the sound it's worth the extra little hassle.
i totally wish i could afford to get a 12 string
on another note, how would an acoustic guitar that is amped sound with an octave pedal? I guess it could be like an easy way out, but it might not sound too acoustic after the effect. Anyone have experience with that?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
I've got a couple of them. Just like 6 strings, there are things they do well and things thy don't do as well, but for lush shimmering chords, ir's hard to beat a 12 string.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Hey dandaman, the octave pedal is a good idea, but i suggest you try a chosus pedal (you can get these cheap). Or even cheaper a jellifish pick, they run 10 american and are supposed to simulate a 12 string even unplugged. Owning a 12 string my self i haven't tried it. let me know if it works.
I just got a yamaha 12 string 3 days ago as an early christmas gift and i absolutly love it! the sound is so rich and beautifull and it stays it tune. It's an old model and it has a crack on the bridge(parents got it secondhand for 60bucks), but i didn't notice any buzz or so while playing. Can't wait to record something with it