Last edited by Mr. Crowley8 at Dec 8, 2008,
the links lead nowhere, so.... yeah sure
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
You have bad links.. but i think i get the jist of what you're saying.. yes you can put a pick gaurd on a les paul shaped guitar, all you need is a small drill. or if you want to take the lazy more expensive route, take it to a pro. but it really isnt that hard to put a pick gaurd on a LP, and IMO it makes the guitar look worse, but that just depends on the color.
Ive never put one, but if your guitar already has the holes for it, then no problem. if you are going to screw new holes into the guitar, you might ruin the finish...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
That probably won't work. The Special-II is a flat top, if I'm not mistaken. Those types of LP pickguards used by Gibson are for carved tops.

I believe there have been some companies that have made LP-styled pickguards for flat top LPs, but good luck finding 'em.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i never asked what guitar to get. i'm just starting guitar. i asked if i can put that pickguard and bracket on it.
Quote by Mr. Crowley8
i never asked what guitar to get. i'm just starting guitar. i asked if i can put that pickguard and bracket on it.

i understand, but i dont care.
you'll be much better off with an agile that already has a pickguard and plays much nicer.
and as said before, it can be done, but if there arent predrilled holes you'll have to do it yourself...which could ruin the finish.
and, you'll need to find the flat top lp styled pickguard....
Quote by Mr. Crowley8
maybe you'd care about posting on topic Mr. Digressive.

all im saying is to look at agiles.
If you have a better guitar, you'll want to play it more, and if you stick with it, and have that epi lp special II, your going to buy a new one in 3 months.
but the agile could last you much longer.
trust me, just go to rondo music and check out the agiles.
maybe even a used agile on ebay, make sure it says you can return it and get your money back if theres a problem with it though.
Agile guitars are made in the very same factory as Epiphone guitars, so don't expect much of a quality difference.

And for the record my Epiphone LP Special II is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played, and I've played several Gibsons. My friend's Parker might equal it but I haven't spent enough time with it to determine that.

In terms of sound however you might prefer the Agile - I have many gripes about my Epi's stock pickups and lack of grounding.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
On the guitar subject, the Epi LP Special-II is the worst, cheapest guitar Epi make. Don't be surprised when it sounds crap, has tuning issues, and may quite literally fall to pieces in your hands (I've seen that one happen twice).

But anyway, I've double-checked. That guitar (Epi LP Special-II) is a flat top and that means it can't take the pickguard. At best, you could just super glue the pickguard on flat to the top, but that'd be... well, rather stupid.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
On the guitar subject, the Epi LP Special-II is the worst, cheapest guitar Epi make. Don't be surprised when it sounds crap, has tuning issues, and may quite literally fall to pieces in your hands (I've seen that one happen twice).

But anyway, I've double-checked. That guitar (Epi LP Special-II) is a flat top and that means it can't take the pickguard. At best, you could just super glue the pickguard on flat to the top, but that'd be... well, rather stupid.

yay! someone who understands!
i'd kind of take care of it... just a little bit. and you guys really aren't getting the meaning of "starter" guitar are you?
Quote by Mr. Crowley8
i'd kind of take care of it... just a little bit. and you guys really aren't getting the meaning of "starter" guitar are you?

yes, actually we are.
agiles are "starter" guitars as well, and the same price.
just because its a "starter" guitar, doesnt mean it has to be a "****" guitar.
okaay. but where can i go about finding these agiles for sale. i can't say anything ti'll i check them out.
Quote by Mr. Crowley8
maybe you'd care about posting on topic Mr. Digressive.

Although he is being a dick about it, He is right.

If you want an LP with the PG, then get an Agile ASAP. They're like Gibson LPs, except they cost as much as a Special II

Believe me, you probably don't want to be stuck playing a Special II for 2 and a 1/2 years like me x_x

EDIT: http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss10.html is what you want. Scroll down a bit for the LP body Agiles. The site and whatnot looks a bit sketchy, but it is amazingly reliable.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
where can i buy Agiles, and yes. most ppl on this forum have been being dicks so far except a few including you
hey if thats what he wants then leave him alone. Any starter is going to suck so just let him be.

as for your pick plate question, if you can hunt down a flat top lp pickguard good for you. then mark the drill spots on the body and drill the depth of the screw with a small sharp bit (bout 1/16 bit). this will bite into the finish and wood without chipping it. then take another bit that is slightly smaller than the width of the screw threads and drill into the pre drilled hole.

Dont pay to have something that you could do, and it looks nice and clean for when you outgrow it and are ready to sell it.
I bet you could but why not buy a good one with a pickguard on it. Those guitars a crappy ones. Sorry to tell you.
Quote by Mr. Crowley8
...leaving him alone doesn't really help. forums are supposed to help. the guitars are probably just as good as Eps but with a different name. I'm thinking about this one now that I've seen it: http://www.rondomusic.com/shadowwt.html

Agile, not Douglas.

Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I haven't found an Agile the price of the Ep guitar yet.. I will probably just get the Epiphone.
Quote by Mr. Crowley8
okaay. but where can i go about finding these agiles for sale. i can't say anything ti'll i check them out.

www.rondomusic.com

They make VERY good starter instruments for the cost.

If you really like the Epiphone, then ultimately it's your decision. But if people have experience with that specific model, I suggest you trust them. Some people in this topic haven't been very polite, but they know their stuff.

As someone said before, you probably can't put the pickguard on by yourself because the Epi is a flat top. It'll certainly cost some to have it done.

Okay, here's a specific model for you. Just check it out and give it fair consideration:
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000whitegoldhw.html
At $200, it's the cheapest model. It comes with a pickguard; the installation of that on the Epi will probably cost more than $30. Plus it's a much better guitar. 99% of people on here will say that.

Like I said, check it out.
Last edited by tigerking615 at Dec 8, 2008,
You can't. The special II (presuming it has the same dimensions as the LP-100) has a larger gap between the pickups. It might be shorter, but all the same it doesn't fit.

I have tried it. No work.
lol i love how people legitamatly think that some epiphone special 2's are more comfortable than gibsons in general. maybe if you have the epiphone professionally set up and the gibson's bridge and action are all messed, sure. but if both are properly set up to the specifications that you like, stock, it really dumbfounds me when people say how they cant "tell the difference" between the two. 9 times out of 10 im willing to bet that the action on the gibson is a little higher than the person is comfortable with or the strings are old/dont feel right (which both can be easily fixed). im all for finding a guitar that you like and feels good reguardless of the brand name or anything like that. but to make that comparison is just kidding yourself.
thanks. i couldn't spot it when i was looking. now that I've found it, I will get that as a starter more than likely