I've been stuck in the blues phase of improvising (not that that's a bad thing) and I would like to know...how do you improvise nice metal/thrash/black metal stuff? I'm still really into the blues, but I don't know how I would begin improvising metal stuff, so.. anyone got advice? Thanks in advance.
use the same scales your already using. probably harmonic minor and natural minor scales too.

its part the scale your using, part the chords your playing over, and part shredding (forget the last part.)
Quote by Dayman
I've been stuck in the blues phase of improvising (not that that's a bad thing) and I would like to know...how do you improvise nice metal/thrash/black metal stuff? I'm still really into the blues, but I don't know how I would begin improvising metal stuff, so.. anyone got advice? Thanks in advance.

start by learning "some metal stuff". Learn it, enjoy it, get inspired by it. then if you have a background for it study it and learn what they did. ( even if you can't study it from a theoretical perspective you can still make some sense of what they did and can utilize that knowledge in your own playing).

in short:

1) learn / emulate 1st
2) utilize what you learned in your own playing
shred is gaudy music
In a lot of metal solos you'll find a minor lick played repeatedly and fast. Its always good t throw in to your solos. Try some harmonic minor and also chromatic.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by Dayman

Use more metal phrasing and dynamics - use legato runs, palm muted notes, bend and vibrato more aggressively, attack the strings more etc
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Dayman
Turn up your distortion.

As far as solo's go, metal and blues are two very similar genres, the only difference should be a tone difference. Unless you're talking about *core metal? What kind of metal do you listen to?
Quote by demonofthenight
Turn up your distortion.

As far as solo's go, metal and blues are two very similar genres, the only difference should be a tone difference. Unless you're talking about *core metal? What kind of metal do you listen to?

Well, I listen to some thrash, black metal, metalcore.. and I can improvise over the more bluesy metal stuff like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple and the more bluesy Metallica.. I'd like to learn to be able to solo/improvise over stuff like Slayer.. but a lot slower lol.