Hey guys - I am a shredder from the 80's - now I am dying to learn the blues - I hate to go to the local music store and try and hunt down a teacher and all that - I wondered are there are cool links on the web that have free lessons? If you all know of any please let me know - or maybe you found a good book I could go and buy - whatever the case - I sure would appreciate if someone would lead me in a good direction

thanks alot!!!
sorry I double posted from another forum... didnt realize there was a jazz/blues section!

question still stands though - trying to dive into the blues and really become proficient at it

thanks all
www.justinguitar.com has great lessons.
basic rythm and lead blues to pretty intermediate jazz stuff.
All explained really well (This man is said to be the best guitar teacher on the web) and watching his stuff (everything is free) will make you a better player no matter what.
/end commercial
This guy on youtube has really good lessons, not so much specific songs, as the overall ohw to play blues guitar. He has these lessons on the Blue Boxes, that is a really good place to stat, this is the link if you want to check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/gr8bluesgtr
Best way IMO to learn blues is to listen to as much of it as humanly possible, starting from the very beginnings (Delta blues, country blues, chess records artists..) and then play what you feel needs to be played.

If you really want to play blues then IMO work on acoustic guitar playing rhythm (possibly open tunings, finger picking, slide, or just standard tuning chord progressions) and sing while you're playing. Find some songs you like, play and sing them on acoustic as much as you can bear and make them your own. Make the sound as broad as you possibly can whilst playing rhythm guitar and you'll have a great blues sound.

If you only want to play SRV wanking solos then get some backing tracks and twiddle pentatonics until your fingers bleed but that's not really blues IMO.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Best way IMO to learn blues is to listen to as much of it as humanly possible, starting from the very beginnings (Delta blues, country blues, chess records artists..) and then play what you feel needs to be played.

If you really want to play blues then IMO work on acoustic guitar playing rhythm (possibly open tunings, finger picking, slide, or just standard tuning chord progressions) and sing while you're playing. Find some songs you like, play and sing them on acoustic as much as you can bear and make them your own. Make the sound as broad as you possibly can whilst playing rhythm guitar and you'll have a great blues sound.

If you only want to play SRV wanking solos then get some backing tracks and twiddle pentatonics until your fingers bleed but that's not really blues IMO.

What he said, except i very much disagree that SRV plays "wanking" solos.
Stevie Ray Vaughan took electric blues to a whole new level
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I wasn't aware that Eric Cartman was a UGer.

He said that about me

Quote by TheDev01dOne

you are seriously going to tell us that SRV was not blues?

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
SRV is almost like shredder music to me. There's no need for 7 minute solos in blues. IMO everything else, the lyrics and singing, rhythm and groove of the song and general feeling of the song is far more important than a guitar solo. I'd go as far as to say a guitar solo isn't even a neccesity. There's far too much emphasis on the guitar solos in his music, IMO.

This seems to have carried on into a lot of peoples minds and now everyone thinks if you can play a pentatonic scale over 12 bar rhythm and make a few stupid faces you're instantly playing blues..

SRV was a great guitar player but he's not the be all and end all of blues like a lot of people seem to think. Give me Muddy or JLH anyday.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
SRV is almost like shredder music to me. There's no need for 7 minute solos in blues. IMO everything else, the lyrics and singing, rhythm and groove of the song and general feeling of the song is far more important than a guitar solo. I'd go as far as to say a guitar solo isn't even a neccesity. There's far too much emphasis on the guitar solos in his music, IMO.

This seems to have carried on into a lot of peoples minds and now everyone thinks if you can play a pentatonic scale over 12 bar rhythm and make a few stupid faces you're instantly playing blues..

SRV was a great guitar player but he's not the be all and end all of blues like a lot of people seem to think. Give me Muddy or JLH anyday.

Although I agree to some extent, playing pentatonics over a 12 bar rythm can result in a very successful blues sound. What else do I have to do to be able to play blues? Do I have to be black? American? Poor? Ill? Homeless?

SRV obviously played a type of blues that doesn't interest you. That doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't blues.
Last edited by j_hunter_hkr at Dec 9, 2008,
you guys have really helped me alot- great links and advice - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it - I have favorite'd the links and looking at the books suggested - one more quicky - anyone want to post the pentatonic scales for me- if not they may be on the justin site as well

thanks again you guys are awesome
Quote by Metadyjital
you guys have really helped me alot- great links and advice - I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it - I have favorite'd the links and looking at the books suggested - one more quicky - anyone want to post the pentatonic scales for me- if not they may be on the justin site as well

thanks again you guys are awesome

Another couple for you to bookmark:

http://www.steviesnacks.com/
http://uk.youtube.com/user/deltabluestips

The pentatonic scale can be easily found on Google.

Enjoy!
As Tim has said, listen to as much blues as possible. He said what I would've said. Take Peter Green for example - his phrasing was superb, and very different to someone like SRV (who's was a rip off of Albert King), phrasing is the thing to master in blues. It's the way of speaking, rather than playing mindlessly (like SRV did a lot IMO).
wow. I have never heard so much SRV bashing. seriously wth. have you watched him live? he poured everything he had into every song. came on stage dry, left soaking in sweat. you cant tell me that somehow his kind of blues was mindless. it had all kinds of soul. do want him to do low fi blues instead? It was the 1980s, music is always changing, blues changed. its still blues nonetheless.

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
^

Do you think I'd be a regular in here or Tim would if we hadn't watched SRV live?

Tim said SRV solos aren't blues (which I agree with) to him, which is fair enough. To me blues is Blind Willie Johnson and Charley Patton but it is also Freddie King. Blues means different things to different people. Lets accept this and move on guys.