Page 1 of 2
I know that the KcKagan signature model is the ideal bass for the Guns N Roses sound, which is what I looked for. But I also like bands like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and want that sound too. Im wondering how good the Duff bass is fingerplaying stuff like RHCP and if it can get near their sound. When I play GnR, I use a pick, so thats no problem, but I play quite a bit of fingerstyle stuff and i looked into slap. I need to know how well the Duff bass can handle it, sound-wise.

My other option is to get a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz bass and then buy a better amp with the leftover money (my current is a Roland Cube 30 Bass).

Whaddaya think?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
the classic vibe bass is awsome.

but i can't tell you if it's better value than the duff bass
second option
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
second option? Well, how is the squier good at the hard rock sound? I'd kinda like those punchy mids, so if its capable of that then i guess i'll take it.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Take a lot at the Aerodyne Jazz, Aerodyen P-bass, Deluxe P-bass. They are all cheaper, and have the P/J configuration. You might even give the standard P-bass and Jazz a go.

I don't think the TBX circuit is even that useful, definitely does not warrant the extra money.

I would get one of those, take what ever money is left over, and put that towards a better amp. Upgrading to a Squier isn't really worth it in my opinion. It won't get you a new amp, but it will be a sizeable chunk of change in your pocket.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 8, 2008,
Duff used an aerodyne J-bass and flea uses, among others, a J-bass. The aerodyne has a P-J combo so your getting a bass that can handle fingerstyle, has tons of versatility and is the same bass as duffs, which you wanted and almost flea. It's almost like having your cake and eating it.
Seeing as you're looking at the Duff, you should look at other P/J basses. They are a better value IMO since you're not paying for his name to be on it.

the Aerodyne jazz, you can find other color options with pickguards on ebay from Japan
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-4String-Jazz-Bass?sku=511988
basswood body, no pickguard, one color option

the Aeordyne P
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-Classic-Precision-Bass-Special?sku=512760
basswood body I think both of the Aeordyne's are MIJ but I'm not sure

the Deluxe P Special
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-?sku=515201
alder body, more color options, MIM

used Fender P Lyte
search ebay, they are fairly similar to the Duff, cheaper, and MIJ

I have the Deluxe P Special, sound great when using a pick or playing fingerstyle. Slapping sounds good, but different. Very different from a Flea tone.
Last edited by Miss G at Dec 9, 2008,
Well, the aerodyne looks good, but if it has the same pickups, I dont get why its a bit cheaper. As for active basses, I'm not a fan because I have one now and i dont like having to keep putting batteries in it. And I'm pretty much set on a J neck, since the bass I have now is a P-bass copy and I have small hands, and once I played a jazz neck, I knew thats what I wanted. I must admit that the J-bass body looks SLIGHTLY better than the P-bass one, but the aerodyne puts me off with the lack of dots on the fretside of the neck, as I kinda need them for fast orientation.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
I haven't changed the battery in my Deluxe P for 8 months or so. I only replaced it because I had an extra 9 volt laying around. I'm not sure about the Aerodyne P, but the Deluxe P does have a jazz neck. I enjoy the bass more now than I did when I got it a year ago. The tone really is great.

A standard Fender jazz or even the Squier you mentioned would serve you well. I played the Classic Vibe for a bit unplugged at guitar center, it had a good feel but I can't comment on the tone.
I know, I heard great things about the squier. I even heard that some squiers are better than some made in mexico basses. I really like the olympic white look of the classic vibe. I tried it out through a Marshall bass amp and It sounded good. But the store near to me has since sold that squier so I cant conduct tests anymore. The sad thing is that I cant find an aerodyne or duff bass to try out anywhere, because that would answer all my questions.

And the amp is also a big questionmark, because I have no idea how any bass will sound through it. So far the only bass I played through it was the Aria I have, and thats and active bass which cost next to nothing (but I had to change the battery twice in 4 months because it just stopped playing) and the Aria doesn't have a satisfying sound to me (its real fuzzy and sounds like something is broken, which happens usually before the battery dies.)
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
with the second option, you'll be able to get a real decent amp.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
If the Duff signature was MIJ (ironically enough like his actually was) or even MIK, I think It'd be worth the money. But since it's MIM, I really think it's super overpriced.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Wait, doesn't Duff use his signature live for old GnR songs? And how does the sound of the aerodyne jazz differ from the duff bass?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
So it sounds the same?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Pretty much, yes. It's slightly better made and much cheaper.

As with most signatures, you're paying for the name with the Duff.
Actually the Duff McKagan signature model is a reissue of his 80s MIJ Jazz Bass Special. You can get a real one, just like Duff uses, for about half the price of what his new signature model costs.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I didn't know he was actually considered to be good enough to deserve a sig?

Pete Wentz has a signature model too if its any consolation.

Its all about marketing. I hear Flea is getting one soon.
Quote by GeneralElectric
Pete Wentz has a signature model too if its any consolation.

Its all about marketing. I hear Flea is getting one soon.

Flea has one, already. It's made by modulus. A much better brand. Maybe not worth the price.

Anyways, if you are looking for someone's sound, get their bass. Sorry to be so blunt. But I can't stand the Fender garbage being tossed around this place. I'm leaving before I get sick.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
Flea has one, already. It's made by modulus. A much better brand. Maybe not worth the price.

Anyways, if you are looking for someone's sound, get their bass. Sorry to be so blunt. But I can't stand the Fender garbage being tossed around this place. I'm leaving before I get sick.

and you came in a thread specifically labelled "fender" just to say that?

anyway there are many better ways to go than buying duff's sig.

there's the aerodyne fenders, the original jazz bass special, p bass specials, and a whole host other brands, just get out there and try them all out and see what you like best
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

He's actually a pretty good bassist.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Well, in fact, his sig is really a reissue of another bass. There's nothing personal about it other than it's a model of bass that he used that is no longer in production.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Well, in fact, his sig is really a reissue of another bass. There's nothing personal about it other than it's a model of bass that he used that is no longer in production.

So its basically a MIJ P bass P/J re-issue then?
Precisely. Jass Bass Special I believe it is. I still find it funny that the original was MIJ but the reissue is MIM.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Precisely. Jass Bass Special I believe it is. I still find it funny that the original was MIJ but the reissue is MIM.

I find it funny that the RI costs more than the original.
Quote by aceofbass131

Flea doesn't have a Modulus signature model anymore. They dropped him as an artist and changed it to the F unk U nlimited. Something tells me that their parting wasn't amicable.
Quote by Captain Insano
I don't think the TBX circuit is even that useful, definitely does not warrant the extra money.

I have one, and it's damn good. Mind you, I wouldn't pay Fender a coupla hundred for the privilege (again...), when I could buy one for peanuts, and pop it into any passive bass I pleased with ten minutes work!
I'm pretty sure the black painted neck on the Duff is unique to the RI.

And what's with people complaining about his skill? I'd always thought he was pretty good. Along with the Tim Commerford hate in the BPOTM, it doesn't look like the Bass forum likes ANY rock bass players!
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
I don't think you'll hear any JPJ or Entwistle hate here.

Anyway, I saw Duff play that bass live last may and it had a black neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by fishbass
I'm pretty sure the black painted neck on the Duff is unique to the RI.

And what's with people complaining about his skill? I'd always thought he was pretty good. Along with the Tim Commerford hate in the BPOTM, it doesn't look like the Bass forum likes ANY rock bass players!

He is good in a "band role bassist" type of way. I just find it funny that a hair metal band bassist would get a sig bass, considering that its not the most rewarding role in music, them just being root note and hair spray mongers and all. You expect the big ground breaking inovation guys like Jaco,Lee,Myung ect ect to get them yes, but you ain't gonna find a Bobby Dal or Kip Winger bass anytime soon.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
He is good in a "band role bassist" type of way. I just find it funny that a hair metal band bassist would get a sig bass, considering that its not the most rewarding role in music, them just being root note and hair spray mongers and all. You expect the big ground breaking inovation guys like Jaco,Lee,Myung ect ect to get them yes, but you ain't gonna find a Bobby Dal or Kip Winger bass anytime soon.

He's not hair metal... the original GnR line-up called themselves rock n roll. As for duff, I think he's actually pretty good. Maybe he can't play as many notes per second as Jaco or the other guys, but for me personally, Jaco wasn't really all that awe-inspiring. Sure he sorta pioneered the sound and did really amazing stuff with the bass, which i really respect him for.... but none of his bass stuff really stuck out as much as, say, Duff's bass intro to sweet child o mine. I think that Duff acomplishes the role of a bassist quite well. He definately deserves the sig model.... at least way more than Pete Wentz (who i consider one of the worst in the world, yet he has a sig model.)

I dont really care about whether or not I actually use duff's gear, but I really like the tone he has, and I'll be fine with a squier as long as it gets a similar tone.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
I'll state this now, and for the record. It doesn't matter how good you are if you want a signature bass. If someone thinks slapping your name on an instrument will sell them, then they'll do it.

As for them being MIM, MIJ Fenders used to be Fender's budget line (even if they were, in many cases, better instruments) which was why the original was so cheap. It'd be cost prohibitive with the declining dollar to make them in Japan.

Personally I don't care where a bass is made so long as it sounds good.
Last edited by GeneralElectric at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by KasanDude
He's not hair metal... the original GnR line-up called themselves rock n roll. As for duff, I think he's actually pretty good. Maybe he can't play as many notes per second as Jaco or the other guys, but for me personally, Jaco wasn't really all that awe-inspiring. Sure he sorta pioneered the sound and did really amazing stuff with the bass, which i really respect him for.... but none of his bass stuff really stuck out as much as, say, Duff's bass intro to sweet child o mine. I think that Duff acomplishes the role of a bassist quite well. He definately deserves the sig model.... at least way more than Pete Wentz (who i consider one of the worst in the world, yet he has a sig model.)

I dont really care about whether or not I actually use duff's gear, but I really like the tone he has, and I'll be fine with a squier as long as it gets a similar tone.

Yes GnR is hair metal. They came straight out of the L.A. glam scene.
Quote by Pizza The Hut

Even still, they're very different than Poison or Ratt. I don't know, calling them hair metal is iffy.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
This seems t be another thread t slander fender and t slander bassists who provide a role in a bnd rather den takin lead. I wud prefer t be known 4 providing a gud solid backing. Why shud anybody get a sig. Btw im using my phone modern tecnology eh.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Pizza The Hut

the L.A. glam scene and the fact that they donned make-up and teased hair in the very beginning doesn't mean much when you actually go and listen to some of their songs. This isn't just a case of me blindly defending my favourite band. I love plenty of hair metal bands and I have no problem admitting they are hair metal. But this is not the case with GNR.
Allright, now that we've established that GnR is NOT glam metal... i've another question to ask.

Has anyone played anything other than an ARIA Stb through a Roland Cube 30 Bass? I keep wondering if the unsatisfying sound is because of the bass or because of the amp. It'll be of no use to own a fender aerodyne and have it sound like ****, in which case it might be better to buy the squier and get a marshall mb series amp (they seem pretty good for the sound im looking for).
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Page 1 of 2