Title.

I've been looking at the RG550s and they look like AMAZING guitars. Only problem would be replacing some stuf on it (Mainly just rusted screws/tuners, what have you.)

So my question is, which guitar is better? The 1570, or the 550?

ATM, I'm leaning towards the 550, mainly because you could always swap out the pick gaurd to match your style (I.e if I decided to go Strat style, I could put in a pickguard routed for 3 SCs)

Also, if the 550 has a crack in it, (Not too deep, just through the finish)is there like, a luthier or tech or something I can take it to to be stripped and re-painted in order to get rid of the crack, or would the crack still be there after applying the finish? I'll post pictures of the crack if needed.

gogogo
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I know its not what you're asking but im going to suggest a 2550. Its pretty much the remake of the 550 but its got an edge zero. Ibanez has a limited run of 2550s with maple fret boards and black dots just like the classic rg550. Just something to look into.
The maple neck RG2450 is Japan only, so unless you can find a dealer who can order it, I rather just go with the RG550. Cheaper + edge which IMO is their second (lo pro being the 1st) superior bridge.
Do you know a place where I can find RG550s in good condition?

EDIT: I live in Toronto Canada, btw.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by Mwoit
eBay and Craiglist tends to be common for second hand guitars.

Does eBay usually have RG550s for sale? I'll be getting a guitar in like, february.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by tigerking615
Does the 550 have an Edge III? If it does, then forget about it.

Are you nuts?

Ibanez may make most guitars with terrible trems now, but back in the mid 90s and earlier, everything had an Edge, Lo-Pro Edge or the Rock'r or whathave you.

i.e everything had a good bridge.

Damn. I wish Ibanez still mass produced Edge Pros in guitars that cost less than $1000 :/
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

I have a 2550 if that counts, the edge 2 is good but the whammy bar socket was crap, it looks like the edge 3 has dealt with the issues, it does stay in tune forever tho. Matt belamy uses a edge 2 in some of his guitars if that counts.

I replaced the pickups in it and all the electrics and it sounds amazing.
the 550 range is ace, but.. ibanez and ibz/dimarzios pickups suck.
Quote by Paroxysm
The maple neck RG2450 is Japan only, so unless you can find a dealer who can order it, I rather just go with the RG550. Cheaper + edge which IMO is their second (lo pro being the 1st) superior bridge.

It's available in Canada too, which is where he's from. But as you said it's defiantly much more expensive than a used 550.
Do you have a budget that your limited by? cause u can try the 2550z the 2008 issue, thats what im thinkin of gettin, its got the new Edge-Zero and a pickguard that you can swap for ur taste if ud like
I was also deciding betwen the two, but i aimed to replace the RG550 with the 1570. After some careful thought i havent, and i coukdntt be more happy with the 550. So I suggest that you go for the 550.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.