I'm hoping to get a new amp soon and people have been directing me towards JCM 800s. I'd be getting a JCM 800 50 watt combo, probably not head and cab (but if you know anything about them I'm still interested in what's good).
Does anyone here have any idea which versions of these amps are good and which I should avoid?

Edit: Oh yeah, I play 70's/80's metal. Just think of Van Halen/Randy Rhoads/Angus Young.
I can get about £500, but of course I can add more to that if I have to. Would the different versions really cost different amounts though?
with that much, you should probably be able to afford a 50w combo, they made 1x12 and 2x12 versions of that, the 4010 is the 1x12, and the 4104 is the 2x12.
these are just the combo versions of the 2204 head, which is really awesome.
look for the combo versions from the late 70s through 1983 are the best, but slightly more expensive. later 80s models are almost as good, and are cheaper. check out ebay or something for used stuff.
Quote by rock.meet Slash
with that much, you should probably be able to afford a 50w combo, they made 1x12 and 2x12 versions of that, the 4010 is the 1x12, and the 4104 is the 2x12.
these are just the combo versions of the 2204 head, which is really awesome.
look for the combo versions from the late 70s through 1983 are the best, but slightly more expensive. later 80s models are almost as good, and are cheaper. check out ebay or something for used stuff.

Are those late 70's - '83 ones the ones with the vertical inputs? I keep seeing people saying that those ones are better than the ones with the two inputs horizontal to each other. And how about the ones with only one imput, are they later ones as well?
yeah the 70s-83s have the vertical inputs, they were the years before Marshall cheaped out on key components to minimize costs.
and the horizontal and single inputs are the later ones, yes.
A JCM800 would definitely work well for you. Another good alternative is a used Laney AOR or a used Sovtek Mig or used Peavey VTM. Any will do the JCM800 Rock tone very well. Good luck finding one
im pretty sure they are the same as the head versions of the amps, EL34s.

EDIT: the preamps are ECC83s
Last edited by rock.meet Slash at Dec 8, 2008,
That's great, thank you very much. And I'll have a look and listen to those amps you mentioned Highwaytohell. I can see that you're into my kinda music as well so you probably know what I'll like the sound of.