Page 1 of 2
Dear UG,

I bought an epiphone les pual ultra a year ago as my first not-starter guitar. thing plays and sounds great but it dosent sustain at all. it is the one with the chambered body but come on. i was thinking that many a better not and bridge would help but i dont know if it would for sure. any imput would be helpfull.

and your forums f*cking rock.
well les pauls are supposed to sustain quite well...do vibratos, add some reverb, a new bridge might do something, not sure, you could put some really hot pickup in or do a dimarzio pickup finder and it'll find you one. or save all that trouble, and buy a sustain pedal.
i suggest an EHX soul preacher
If it doesn't sustain AT ALL there's a serious problem!

I got a set of graphtech bridge saddles for my LP, which improved the sustain a fair bit.

And cut down on string breakage/decay!

You can also get a graphtech nut, which improves things at both ends.

It's not very expensive, much cheaper than replacing the bridge, so give that a go. Otherwise, you could try switching to heavier strings.
i have a gibson dirty fingers in the bridge and a burstbucker pro in the neck. i recently lowered the action for bette rplayability but iv alwayse had this problem. all i want is to be able to sustain a note and let it ring without massive amounts of gain. thanks again for all the help
i lowered the action myself but i did not intonate it because i didnt know how. the strings are a few weeks old and now that i think about it that could be contributing to my problem but i alwayse remember having trouble with the sustain. i love the guitar to death and would be willing to shell out for a new bridge/saddles or a nut. i dont want to have to turn to a compressor pedal as i feel a les paul should be able to sustain a note well without it. my stratocopy that i baught for 200 dollers with a 5 watt amp can sustain a note for longer than my les somtimes. and again thanks for all the help.
Could be the strings, but you should take it to a shop and ask them, it could be a setup problem.
Try getting the guitar set up before you shell out any serious cash on a new bridge and what not.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Put a piece of tape on the headstock and write "Gibson" on it.

If done properly, this should quadruple your sustain.
Quote by Don't Stop

wow that is way to true to be funny. on a side note only 1 out of the 5 gibbsons i have played actualy performed better than my epi, odd isnt it? i have a line 6 spider 3 75 watt(best amp ever) and i just got a b-52 at100 half stack(so so but not as awsome as the line 6) i will try to take it to my local music store ot get a setup as i hate guitar center. strings do need replacing and il ask about new hardware. as the first question i have asked you guys im realy happy with what you guys have suggested. thanks and happy playing.
Quote by Themilkmaker
wow that is way to true to be funny. on a side note only 1 out of the 5 gibbsons i have played actualy performed better than my epi, odd isnt it? i have a line 6 spider 3 75 watt(best amp ever) and i just got a b-52 at100 half stack(so so but not as awsome as the line 6) i will try to take it to my local music store ot get a setup as i hate guitar center. strings do need replacing and il ask about new hardware. as the first question i have asked you guys im realy happy with what you guys have suggested. thanks and happy playing.

Lawlz
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
This forum and its amp stigmas... ugh. If you know how to set your knobs right and you have good tone in your playing, you can make any amp sound decent. Hell, I had to move home for Thanksgiving break a couple weeks ago and didn't take my amp, just my guitar, and I was able to make my old Fender Frontman 15G sound decent
Raise the action a lil and back the pickups off a bit

That always helps the sustain and lets the guitar breathe more
- Raise the action and use an appropriate string gauge for your tuning. Standard string gauge for a 24.75" scale guitar in E Standard tuning is starting at .10.
- Lower your pickups.
- Work on your technique.

That's it. The Epi LP Ultra should naturally sustain better than most LPs because of the body cavities, and it's got a locking stopbar which is about as good for sustain as you can get.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
make sure you aint going through any kind of noise gate - some modding amps like the AD30vt seem to have a noise gate switched on by default

If you use a cloth to wipe down your strings, make sure no bits have come loose and are dampening the strings

make sure you have 10s on there and that it is set up properly.

Set the pickup height by fretting at the last fret - the pole pieces should each be 3/64" below the bottom of the corresponding string. Start there and dial in to taste.

Still no joy? Take it to a tech
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by Themilkmaker

if your line 6 is the "best amp ever" then the best way to get some good sustain out of your ultra is burn it, or give it to someone who knows something about tone, and if only 1/5 gibsons outperformed your EPI, what are you bitchin' about?
Last edited by MRAAJR at Dec 9, 2008,
Quote by MRAAJR
if your line 6 is the "best amp ever" then the best way to get some good sustain out of your ultra is burn it, or give it to someone who knows something about tone, and if only 1/5 gibsons outperformed your EPI, what are you bitchin' about?

Now there's a warm welcome to the forum and a contribution that is as much use as a one legged man in an arse-kicking contest

Thread starter - ignore the dick who's being swept along by the consensus - if you like your amp then that is all that matters.

*reported for making all UG'ers look like tone sheep*
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg

*reported for making all UG'ers look like tone sheep*

so i post in one thread about a not so tone-worthy amp and i am "making all UG'ers look like tone sheep"?
If your pickups are too close to the strings, this will affect the strings' vibration to a surprising extent.

Otherwise, try replacing the nut/saddles/bridge/tuners in that order.
Active pickup use weaker magnets and have less impact on string vibration.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
this i may have over looked, i forgot that the magnets in the pickups pull the strings. in a non fraction measurement how much distance from the string at fret 22 should the pole pieces be? and mraajr, if you took that line 6 comment seriusly you must be a lawyer or a polotitican. thanks to everyone else who has somthing usefull to say.
I know this is something quite stupid to say but just to make sure

Is ur volume knob on ur guiar all the way to its max or near it?

(......i know its stupid but just tryin to help, and it probably has nothing to do wit it but w.e)
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
yea i keep it all the way up most of the time so thats probobly not it. il lower the pickups a little especaily the dirty fingers.
Ok, well then go to a pro guitar tech cause theres obviously something wrong (obviously).
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
A Setup can help with sustain problem.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
there is a small chance that im being to harsh and im thinking that i should be getting more sustain than i should be getting. on average what is a good time for a sustained note when held at the 12th fret, no vabrato. maby a test is in order?3 to 4 seconds for me before it starts dying out.
A lot depends on your amp and technique, but for an LP like an Epi Ultra with a proper set-up, sustaining a basic fretted note for 5-6 seconds before the volume really dropped off is what I'd consider reasonable.

People talk about LPs as if they can sustain for four times the length of other guitars, but in reality the average LP will sustain a note for only really an extra second or so than a typical Strat. Never expect more than a handful of seconds. I've played Custom Shops where sustain died after about 8 seconds or so.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
than my current sustain wont do. as my first real guitar it has served me well and adore the way it feels and plays so if i can just sort this out i will be a happy man. iv been playing for almost a year and a half and now im gravitating form a more agressive distorted sound to a more "mature" slightly dark creamy overdrivem jazz tone if that makes any sense. with a mout full of distortion you dont have to worry about sustain os now its bothering me in a sence.
Then you probably want to be looking at getting a hollow body - solid electric guitars RELY on distortion for significant amounts sustain, that's the whole reason people started using it. Without it you get shorter, more staccato notes - that's just the physical nature of the instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I so even tho the lp's body is chambered i would still be better off with a hollow body? i was looking in to one of these maby.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar?sku=516284

and with strings that are like one month old, is there HUGE diference in sustain? because il change em every week and a ahlf if i have to.
How much sustain are you looking for? All my Epis get between 12 and 16 seconds on the clean setting before the sustain starts to decay to the point it's useless on the metal setting it seems like it never wants to end. Even my cheap Lyon Scott Ian gets 13 seconds with a bolt on neck and I think it's plywood. Never really took it apart to check.

John
12 to 16 seconds?? is that even possible? if i got 7 or 8 i would be more than happy. no i have five on a note thats frettet at the 12th.
Quote by Don't Stop

This sucker is so sigged!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I mesure the time between attack and decay maybe there is something I am missing here?

John
i hate this bandwagon with spider IIIs, there actually GOOD AMPS FOR THE MONEY.
yeah i said it.
I LIKE THEM.
just tried a 75 watt out a few days ago.
sounded fine, had it on the master of pups settings, a decent guitarist could easily pull off the MOP sound with that setting.
Page 1 of 2