Currently i use 10 gauges on my guitar and I was thinking about going to 9s again. Its been quite a while though

I'm starting to get more into Jimi Hendrix and RHCP were they bend more. What gauges do they use?

I do like the 10s though. They feel like their easier to strum. Is it alot easier to bend with 9s?

What do u guys use?
I use 10s on my Strat and have no complaints with my bends. I've got 11s on my Gretsch and I wish they'd bend a little more, but 10s didn't sound right.

If I were you I'd try the 9s. Might not be a huge difference, but you never know. It might be groundbreaking for you.
I use 11s in E standard and I can bend 3 steps. Just train your fingers to take the bends your tone will improve
Gingers Unite
ill probably stay with 10s. When I play my friends with 9s i usually hate it. I feel like im palying a toy. I can bend pretty well with my 10s, probably wouldnt help with 9s. Just thinking about it. I bend with 12s on my drop C guitar 2.
9's are easier to bend. I have 11's on my Strat, and I like the sound, but it's easier for me to bend on 9's.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
I have 13's on one guitar but 11's on others. Heavy strings build up dexterity and finger strength and even if you don't like them you can switch to lighter ones and you'll play better

I know hendrix used real light strings, and he even used a second high E in place of the B string
Last edited by captain Trips at Dec 8, 2008,
I prefer light guage strings myself. I used to play 8s but went up to 9s because they just don't sell 8s in bulk and I have to buy my strings in bulk. I got used to the 9s pretty quick.

John
I use 8s and sometimes 9s.I like the 8s for being able to do 2 and three note chord bends and a easy 3 and 4 fret bends.

I've had no trouble getting discount packs in the UK of D'Addrio and Rotos

http://tinyurl.com/55efyf

USA,

Fender Bullets
http://tinyurl.com/6mb6zo

and most vendors will discount more for larger orders.

HTH
Be a man. Train your fingers more. Are you bending with only one finger? If so, then bend with 3 fingers.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
you dont use the guage that your fav bands use, you use whats comfortable to you.
they have different hands then you.
if you go get 13s like SRV, and you have smaller and weaker hands then him, your probably gonna get carpeltunnnel
anything below tens are for the limp wristed or little girls.

heavier gauge means better tone and you don't push them out of tune when fretting.

Be a man, stick with the 10s

Having said that, you wont know what's best for you until you try it so try 'em I suppose

EDIT: I don't think they had anything below 10's in Jimis day (Jimi tuned down half a step as well)
- wasn't clapton the first to use a banjo string on the high e meaning that he could move the others across one losing a wound g string????
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Last edited by cuthbertg at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by melton100
I think it was Iommi who first used really light strings.

Possibly - I dunno,

I 'm sure clapton got rid of the wound g string, and it wouldn't suprise me if Iommi got down to like 8's or something. Just like a brummie to take the path of least resistance!

I'm gonna look it up now, cos I've always wondered about it
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I read clapton and it said he used (he might still, dont know that) 10s. He would also often times snap his high e doing bends, and would have to replace it in the middle of a gig. While he was restringing, people would start a slow clap, and thats how he got the name Slowhand. I think thats what it said.

I think i may have read somewhere that hendrix used .09s during the expirience, and he used either .10s or .11s during gypsy sun and rainbows. Not sure, though.

and excuse my spelling, I'm on a computer that doesnt have firefox, so i don't have spellcheck.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by cuthbertg
Possibly - I dunno,

I 'm sure clapton got rid of the wound g string, and it wouldn't suprise me if Iommi got down to like 8's or something. Just like a brummie to take the path of least resistance!

I'm gonna look it up now, cos I've always wondered about it

Maybe losing a couple of finger tips didn't help but then again.......
We may not have had the,"Sabbath" some of us love

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi
Quote by clayonfire
I read clapton and it said he used (he might still, dont know that) 10s. He would also often times snap his high e doing bends, and would have to replace it in the middle of a gig. While he was restringing, people would start a slow clap, and thats how he got the name Slowhand. I think thats what it said.

I think i may have read somewhere that hendrix used .09s during the expirience, and he used either .10s or .11s during gypsy sun and rainbows. Not sure, though.

and excuse my spelling, I'm on a computer that doesnt have firefox, so i don't have spellcheck.

i thought he got the name slowhand by umm well watch him play he can make one string do about anything he don't move much on the frets but makes amazing sounds...
Quote by Sheppola
Maybe losing a couple of finger tips didn't help but then again.......
We may not have had the,"Sabbath" some of us love

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Iommi

I completely forgot he lost the tips of his fingers! What a MAN!

I'm having trounble finding out much about the history of guitar string gauges. But back in the 60s, I'm sure 10s were referred to as extra light, 11's Light, 13s meduim and 14s heavy and all had a wound g string.
Men play tens.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
do men also have a purple marshall MG? :P i'm just kidding you man, i use 10s too, but i wouldnt' put down someone who uses 9s
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Actually, if you went to better control your bends, go up to 11's for a month. It will be tough at first, but when you go back down 10's playing and bends will be a breeze. 9's will just feel like dental floss...
Quote by cuthbertg
anything below tens are for the limp wristed or little girls.

heavier gauge means better tone and you don't push them out of tune when fretting.

Be a man, stick with the 10s

Having said that, you wont know what's best for you until you try it so try 'em I suppose

EDIT: I don't think they had anything below 10's in Jimis day (Jimi tuned down half a step as well)
- wasn't clapton the first to use a banjo string on the high e meaning that he could move the others across one losing a wound g string????

I dunno about it meaning better tone, I liked the sound of 9's better on my jagmaster.
Quote by Swap-Meet
I dunno about it meaning better tone, I liked the sound of 9's better on my jagmaster.

Yeah ya FREAK!!

I've replied in your thread about liking the tone of 9's but preferring the feel of tens....

Kudos for not being a tone sheep!
i play 10s, then switched to 9s, then 11s, switched backed to 10s.

in my experience, bigger gauges gives better sustains, i liked the sustain of 11s, but it hurts my fingers alot, so i switched back to 10s, i can bend more, a little of sustain and im comfortable with it.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
if you're used to 9s, then, yeah, 9s will be quite a bit easier to bend etc. with. depends on the scale length and tuning, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?