Right so, my brother and I listen to the same types of Music. I play guitar, he wants to learn to play guitar, but he's not too motivated. He thinks it's too hard. Any tips on how I should encourage him ? I could always teach him myself, but I forgot all about how I started to learn (never had a teacher, UG > All)... I have 4 guitars and 2 amps at home, so having someone to play with frequently would be quite nice tbh.
Cheers
Make him play bass, it's easier anyway.

.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Sounds like he doesn't really want to play guitar, get him Guitar Hero, that'll make him smile, no effort required.
Quote by Cpt.Jackass
Make him play bass, it's easier anyway.

That's what I'm doing with my brother.

Basically the same story as TS'.
Brother wanted to learn to play guitar.
Showed him a few chords (hey, that's all I got! )
Got a unmotivated cause he got a job. (I'm the younger brother.)
Now his desire is rekindled... but with a bass.
He's pretty good actually with only a few times I've actually taught him.
And I just got my new amp today so I have a spare!
Learn his favourite song, and play it to him. Tell him if he actually works at it, he could do the same.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
well how old is this "brother"?
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by metaldud536
Sing to him:

"You have be the very best,
like no one ever was...."

Come on folks help me finish this one!

You don't even know the right words to the opening lines.
You fail so hard.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
Quote by metaldud536
Sing to him:

"You have be the very best,
like no one ever was...."

Come on folks help me finish this one!

Sorry, I think you're hilarious and all, but not EVERY post has to be about pokemon.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by freedoms_stain
Sounds like he doesn't really want to play guitar, get him Guitar Hero, that'll make him smile, no effort required.

He's serious about music, and hates Guitar hero :P
He wants to learn, but what dis motivates him is the fact that it isn't easy to learn :P
Quote by andy_thomas
Sorry, I think you're hilarious and all, but not EVERY post has to be about pokemon.

Well Metaldud would be out of a job as a Pokémon trainer if he posted something off-topic from his profession wouldn't he? Honest man earning an honest dollar.
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Dec 8, 2008,
You've gotta teach him stuff that will be bring pleasure without much work. Find out what songs he likes that have easy open chords, so he'll be satisfied when he's just starting out. Then you'll have gotten past the hardest part of starting guitar, which is teaching your fingers to know where to go.
Quote by Almost-Antix
You fail so hard.

Jeez can't you see I had to change the 1st person perspective? How can you encourage someone if it's all about yourself?!
Problem is, he wants to start with hard stuff as well... He asks me to teach him Creeping Death (without the solo)... It still is NOT easy, I gave him one of my guitars 4 minutes ago, ESP V-200.
Quote by Almost-Antix
You fail so hard.

the point was to change it to fit, the real lyrics wouldnt have made sense

ask him if he wants to jam show him how to jam or rip out a face melting solo in front of him so he gets all hyped and wants to learn

my little brother wanted to play guitar before i did, he got a little first act acoustic but he never uses it i stole it cuz i cant bend on my damned classical and i love bending

so yea get him playing

EDIT: oh hes older .......well ask him to play rhythm for you to solo over then......then switch
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Dec 8, 2008,
Just start teaching him and tell him how well he is doing. Get him started on a nice simple song that he can get used to quickly. The chords version of Hotel California was what did it for me.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Darkshade666
Problem is, he wants to start with hard stuff as well... He asks me to teach him Creeping Death (without the solo)... It still is NOT easy, I gave him one of my guitars 4 minutes ago, ESP V-200.

tell him if he tries to learn that from the get get-go, he'll just get frustrated. You have to find SOMETHING he likes with easy chords. Get him to give you a list or something.