When I'm plugged into my amp I get a lot of background noise only when my volume (on my guitar) is in the middle, like the extra noise is loudest when my volume would be at say 5/10, and it gets slowly quieter where it's non existant at full volume and obviously at no volume.
And my tone knob causes a lot of noise when it's turned up, but when it's turned all the way down, aka zero, there is no extra noise.
Also, is it normal that if my treble is high ( on my amp) then I also get extra noise, as opposed to no noise when it's at zero?
And my amp has independant gain, but when the gain is all the way off, no *volume* comes out of the amp...also normal?

*edit.
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
When I'm plugged into my amp I get a lot of background noise only when my volume (on my guitar) is in the middle, like the extra noise is loudest when my volume would be at say 5/10, and it gets slowly quieter where it's non existant at full volume and obviously at no volume.
And my tone knob causes a lot of noise when it's turned up, but when it's turned all the way down, aka zero, there is no extra noise.
Also, is it normal that if my treble is high ( on my amp) then I also get extra noise, as opposed to no noise when it's at zero?
And my amp has independant gain, but when the gain is all the way off, no noise comes out of the amp...also normal?

It's called Feedback. You need to learn how to play properly in order to get rid of it.

Check out google, you'll find a lesson on holding your hand properly to get rid of it.

EDIT: Just remembered. It's called String Muting. Can't believe I forgot.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
It's called Feedback. You need to learn how to play properly in order to get rid of it.

Check out google, you'll find a lesson on holding your hand properly to get rid of it.

...No.
It makes noises even when I'm not playing,
If I didn't know how to play I wouldn't be asking.
You can't really notice it when I am playing, but it's annoying when I am playing softer songs or clean and you can really hear it, and it's annoying.
Quote by bnull24
Wow, this V.U.K. guy is quite the asshole on these forums, huh?

I'd say man, and I thought I was being slightly butthurt, I guess I'm not the only one who finds him to be rude and ignorant.
It would be a lot easier to tolerate his rudeness if he actually had something useful or intelligent to say.
Quote by V.U.K

My, you're the sharp one, aren't you?

A guitar that feeds back at half the volume but not at high volume is not giving feedback, wise guy.

To the TS, it's probably due to bad wiring. Seeing as it's only at half the volume, it's most likely a broken or worn pot(entio) meter. A new one will fix it right up, same goes for your tone-pot, but that will cost you a bit at your local guitar shop.

For your latter question, this is feedback. Higher gain levels tend to make more noise, even more so on lower quality amps. What amp do you have?
Quote by Y00p
My, you're the sharp one, aren't you?

A guitar that feeds back at half the volume but not at high volume is not giving feedback, wise guy.

To the TS, it's probably due to bad wiring. Seeing as it's only at half the volume, it's most likely a broken or worn pot(entio) meter. A new one will fix it right up, same goes for your tone-pot, but that will cost you a bit at your local guitar shop.

For your latter question, this is feedback. Higher gain levels tend to make more noise, even more so on lower quality amps. What amp do you have?

Noo, it's not the gain that is causing extra noise, I know that is feedback, it's the treble that's causing extra noise, about the gain I was asking if my gain is off, should my amp also be making no noise?
Cause I'd like my gain to be zero sometimes but that would seem to be impossible.
re read my OP please, and thanks for the help : ).
I have a mesa f-30.

And yeah, i figured it was the pots but i wasn't sure.
it's a pretty old guitar and they've prob never been replaced.
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 8, 2008,
Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything here. Just bad phrasing is all. English is my third language, so I may come off with bad phrasing at times.

I was being intentionally an ass in the other thread, though.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything here. Just bad phrasing is all. English is my third language, so I may come off with bad phrasing at times.

I was being intentionally an ass in the other thread, though.

It's ok, you should probably work on that though.
Quote by tona_107
It's ok, you should probably work on that though.

Yeah, I know.

I handed in a report to my english teacher about constructive critisism on his teaching, and I came off as an ass through the way I wrote (Wasn't trying to) and I got cried to about it for like, 10 minutes.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by tona_107
Noo, it's not the gain that is causing extra noise, I know that is feedback, it's the treble that's causing extra noise, about the gain I was asking if my gain is off, should my amp also be making no noise?
Cause I'd like my gain to be zero sometimes but that would seem to be impossible.
re read my OP please, and thanks for the help : ).
I have a mesa f-30.

And yeah, i figured it was the pots but i wasn't sure.
it's a pretty old guitar and they've prob never been replaced.

Do you get what I mean?
Quote by tona_107
Do you get what I mean?

IF you set your gain at 0, you shouldn't be making any noise if you leave the guitar.

I'm not too knowledgeable about tube amps, but maybe it's an amp problem?
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Quote by tona_107
Do you get what I mean?

Yeah, I do.
I misread your last question.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. All I know is that my amp gives of no sound when the gain is turned all the way down either (Blackheart 15W, tubes). I can't answer that one, or the second one, but someone who knows more about the technical part of amps should be able to.

Quote by Y00p
Yeah, I do.
I misread your last question.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. All I know is that my amp gives of no sound when the gain is turned all the way down either (Blackheart 15W, tubes). I can't answer that one, or the second one, but someone who knows more about the technical part of amps should be able to.

Thanks for the help buddy.
I missed what guitar you have?

Anyhoo,

There's a possibility the small capacitor attached to the tone control is faulty or even a ,"Dry" solder joint or may even be the wrong value.They are pennies to buy and pretty easy to fit with a low power soldering iron.
It can also be that the Pot itself is faulty(BAD QC or wear) and again they aren't too expensive and pretty easy to fit.
Quote by Sheppola
I missed what guitar you have?

Anyhoo,

There's a possibility the small capacitor attached to the tone control is faulty or even a ,"Dry" solder joint or may even be the wrong value.They are pennies to buy and pretty easy to fit with a low power soldering iron.
It can also be that the Pot itself is faulty(BAD QC or wear) and again they aren't too expensive and pretty easy to fit.

I have a 1986 Ibanez RG, it's probably the nicest playing guitar I've ever played.
Yeah the pots are probably old is what I figured.
Do you know anything about my question about the treble on my amp's EQ?
Quote by tona_107
I have a 1986 Ibanez RG, it's probably the nicest playing guitar I've ever played.
Yeah the pots are probably old is what I figured.
Do you know anything about my question about the treble on my amp's EQ?

It's most likely normal.The more treble you use the quicker our ears perceive it unless it's introducing another type of noise like a hum?
It may also be related to the Above guitar problem.Have you tried a different guitar through the amp to see if it does it?
Does your amp make the guitar noise worse or is that from the amp its self? The eq on a tube amp can affect the gain of the amp so... adding more noise.
It does sound like a pot problem, i cant see why the tone adds noise tho. maybe there is a problem with the tracks on the volume pot.
I upgraded the electrics in my rg and made it a bit too bright, be careful what capacitor you use on the tone if you choose to ugrade it, ive found polystyrene ones to be the best on rgs for some strange reason.
Quote by djpiggy
Does your amp make the guitar noise worse or is that from the amp its self? The eq on a tube amp can affect the gain of the amp so... adding more noise.
It does sound like a pot problem, i cant see why the tone adds noise tho. maybe there is a problem with the tracks on the volume pot.
I upgraded the electrics in my rg and made it a bit too bright, be careful what capacitor you use on the tone if you choose to ugrade it, ive found polystyrene ones to be the best on rgs for some strange reason.

I wouldn't be doing it myself anyways... 10=20 for a tech to do it right? Cause it's like a five minute fix.