hey just wondering if there is an 'effect' that can give you say the sound of like the seventh and eighth strings on an eight string guitar?
or is just stupid?
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

myspace.com/dinosaur_sandwich
well generally an eight string guitar adds a higher and lower one, and a seven string adds a lower one, so i'm not sure what you're asking. Maybe an octave pedal is what you're looking for? Electroharmonix makes the Micro Pog which can go up one octave and down one or two octaves.

Also, I know that variax guitars can do some crazy-weird tuning stuff onboard, so maybe that'd help you.
oh i see
i thought an 8 string was like two lower notes
its just i wanna play some meshuggah and that sorta stuff.
and they play an 8 string with 6 lower strings normal, then the usual seventh string then ontop a bass string.
This next band asked me to read this 'Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Molly Hatchet all had sex and now please welcome their two-headed baby 'Tenacious D '

basically im looking for a really heavy bassy sound for my 6 string
haha

If you want that low F# Meshuggah style sound on a 6 string the closest you'll get is with a pitch shifter, the Digitech whammy will knock it down an octave which is too sludgy though. Most multi-effects come loaded with a pedal bend, the Boss GT-8 has that effect with an adjustable range so you can get a low B, A or F#, but there are mixed opinions about the quality of the sound. I personally like it, but some people think its too synthetic and sludgy, but that's pretty much the only way you'll get it.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
An octave pedal is probably what your looking for though it does add some modulation. you might try tuning your guitar down to ultra violet and see if thats more what your looking for.

EDIT: ^ Meshuggah tune down to F... because F# isn't heavy enough.
Sig What?
Last edited by darth awsome at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
well generally an eight string guitar adds a higher and lower one, and a seven string adds a lower one, so i'm not sure what you're asking. Maybe an octave pedal is what you're looking for? Electroharmonix makes the Micro Pog which can go up one octave and down one or two octaves.

Also, I know that variax guitars can do some crazy-weird tuning stuff onboard, so maybe that'd help you.

Which 8 string add a lower AND higher?

I know the ESP and the Ibanez 8 adds 2 lower...
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by darth awsome
^custom made ones.

Check out Rusty Cooley of Outworld. He's 1 up 1 down

That's what I figured.

Pretty cool ****
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by darth awsome
^custom made ones.

Check out Rusty Cooley of Outworld. He's 1 up 1 down

That's exactly what I was thinking. Anyway, Check out some harmonizers/pitch shifters. Maybe the Digitech Whammy would do you well; you could set it do one octave down but hold off a step and a half early?

edit:
after reading the stuff above me, try tuning your guitar up to F standard and using the whammy. I've never messed around with stuff like that but it should be an adventure :-P
Tuning down with a whammy makes it sound crap. I sometimes tune down to C with it but it sounds **** compared to actually drop tuning the guitar.
get a bass and a distortion pedal
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
well thansk for all the replies and that il lok into it =]

8 strings are typically tuned to standard with 2 extra low notes (F# and B); however, the standard tuning is what you make of it. Having an extra low and high note is very possible with any 8 string.

I would recommend waiting for the agile intrepid 8 string to become readily available. There is no real substitute for an 8 string. You can downtune a 7 string; however, unless it's 27'' scale. Still then you're missing out on the high strings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by darth awsome
An octave pedal is probably what your looking for though it does add some modulation. you might try tuning your guitar down to ultra violet and see if thats more what your looking for.

EDIT: ^ Meshuggah tune down to F... because F# isn't heavy enough.

I'm pretty sure they're tuned down to E in a couple of songs here and there too haha.
Yeah they are down to E on a couple of songs.

But as MesaExplorer says there is no real substitute for an 8 string sound, you need to actually reach those low notes rather than replicate them to get the desired effect.
Quote by Meatball200
Do you really need to play that low anyway? Using a pedal will sound bad.

A guitar with an extended range will sound good. Using a pedal will sound bad.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
omg what if there was a baritone eight string guitar

that's metal
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7

that's metal

most eight string guitars are baritones, mate. It's all about the scale length
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Exo M7

that's metal

The only one's I know of that aren't 27" (baritone) length are the ESP F408 or something like that.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
A guitar with an extended range will sound good. .

But he had no intention of extending his range as it was gonna be on his 6 string. That was the point . I agree though anyway.