Lately, things have been hitting the fan for me, and I just can't bring myself to practice anymore. I can play my guitar freely, and learn songs, but when it comes to practicing, I just can't. I want to get better, but when it comes to turning on the metronome, I just can't really do it anymore.

Does anyone know how to over-come this rut? I don't want to plateau out.
Metronome... I havent used on of those in all 3 of my years of playing ><. When i get bored of guitar i just try playing a new genre.
Just kidding man

Look into different styles of music, I think you'll dig it.
If you play mostly electric, get into some acoustic riffs, and vice versa

If you play both, the just play something you normally would not

Or, what I did when I stopped learning songs: Start writing them.
Play songs that you like.

If they are more difficult than your current level, just learn them slowly.
ಠ_ಠ
Stop playing and take a break. You'll definitely quit if you force yourself playing. Listen to a new genre, appreciate and pick up your guitar again.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
seriously stop for maybe a week or two or more if needed then get back to it and it will be amazing
guitar is like a cheap *****
to much and it gets worn out and boring.
let it go for a while and youll want it more than anything.

oh and tell your mom ill be coming over tonight, its been a while
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Lately, things have been hitting the fan for me, and I just can't bring myself to practice anymore. I can play my guitar freely, and learn songs, but when it comes to practicing, I just can't. I want to get better, but when it comes to turning on the metronome, I just can't really do it anymore.

Then don't practice anymore.
If you are passionate about the guitar, one day you'll be inspired to play it, you'll pick it up, and you'll wanna practice more than ever.
screw practice. Just enjoy the guitar for a while, lay back, play some tunes, listen to some more music, enjoy where your at. Guitar is not, and will never be a job(in and of itself) no matter what. You ever seen BB King play? Guy's never heard of sixtenth notes and he is euphoric. So take it easy and relax, and in time it will come again.
i enjoy head
take a break or try something totally different. maybe even a different instrument. playing guitar should be fun, not a chore.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by Freepower
Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df0sFG7FqSQ (and my video response)

Loads of stuff in the AT sticky on motivation, see section 8 onwards.

Thank you very, very much.
You should take lyrics from your favorite song and play the melody from the lyrics on your guitar. ****, I'm having the time of my life playing along with Queen!
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by Freepower
Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df0sFG7FqSQ (and my video response)

Loads of stuff in the AT sticky on motivation, see section 8 onwards.

whoa, thanks for posting that. made me realize I have nothing that really interests me besides music... now I feel like I need to find something else to do for fun and really get into, I just don't know what

dude forget about the metronome i did that for a while and noticed my speed wasnt going nowhere and sometimes is just really hard to progress because you are at a high level

so what i tried doing is changing what i do instead of getting bored with exercises i decided to learn scales and improvise is fun is easy and you are able to come up with some nice licks that you enjoy and that you can incorporate into other songs

just keep learning songs and the technique will eventually come

if not work in other areas there is so many areas where you can improve
hammer ons
pull offs
tapping
sweeping
alternate picking
8 finger tapping
vibrato
bending
whammy bar tricks

if you dont like any of those ideas try to compose songs or learn music theory

if none of the above just go do something else man i dont know play soccer or go out to watch a movie or spend time with some friends
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by stefan1988
dude forget about the metronome i did that for a while and noticed my speed wasnt going nowhere and sometimes is just really hard to progress because you are at a high level

Sorry, but I had to resist a strong urge to facepalm that one...

My last blog entry might help motivation-wise. Or maybe not...