I've been playing for a few months with an acoustic, but i've played my cousin's electric guitars, and it is amazing to play them. Right now i'm leaning toward a Fender Stratocaster Standard, but i'm no guitar expert. Opinions?
Plus, I have no clue at all about amps. I'm a beginner, but I don't want a crap amp.
Something i'll still like in the next few years. Help?
get a crappy guitar. spend the extra money on a good amp. ul like the sound better cause most of ur tone comes from the amp, and if u learn to play well on a crappy guitar, imagine how well ul be able to play on a guitar with some real playability to it. ul build up finger strength and dexterity more playing a guitar with higher action
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
id say get a squire strat or even a mexican strat then something cool like a little epiphone valve junior or something
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by wicket_nirvana
get a crappy guitar. spend the extra money on a good amp. ul like the sound better cause most of ur tone comes from the amp, and if u learn to play well on a crappy guitar, imagine how well ul be able to play on a guitar with some real playability to it. ul build up finger strength and dexterity more playing a guitar with higher action

this guy speaks all sorts of truth. i owned a crappy ass slammer: hamer electric for like 5 years. when i finally bought i new guitar i was like woah this new guitar feels so much easier to play etc etc..
fender strats would be good for anything except for metal, and for an amp, id say either a peavey valveking. its durable, versatile and sounds great.

here are links for things i suggest (assuming that they fit in your budget)

guitars---v (getting more and more "metal"
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=513102

amps---v

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-20X-Amp-With-COSM?sku=487031

these are suggestions, go to a shop and play anything withing ur price range to see what you like.
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by seizetheday1103 at Dec 8, 2008,
epiphone les paul would be a good first guitar and maybe a vox ad15? you get lots of cool effects and lots of different preset tones with it
Ibanez RG120 (200 bucks, great first guitar)
Line 6 amp, but get the full size spider III 10w not the micro that I have. Not that the micro is bad, but its better to get the bigger amp for less money.
If you're a little down on budget you might want to look into some marshall practice amps. i beleive there's one for $80. I havent played it though so Im not sure how good it is.
Needs a new sig

Scandanavian Metal > American Thrash/Groove> Everything Else

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
Don't get a Marshall MG (Any model), or a Spider Line 6 (any model).

I definitely recommend a Strat, if you can afford it. You won't need another guitar for a long time.

For an amp, check the VOX Valvetronix series, or maybe the Roland Cube series.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Don't get a Marshall MG (Any model), or a Spider Line 6 (any model).

I definitely recommend a Strat, if you can afford it. You won't need another guitar for a long time.

For an amp, check the VOX Valvetronix series, or maybe the Roland Cube series.

I keep hearing people turn the line 6 spider down. Can anyone actually explain what's so bad about it? I know this isn't the best way to determine how good the sound is, but I've seen people play on Spider 3's and have a pretty decent sound on youtube.
Last edited by Frosted Flakes at Dec 8, 2008,
every1 starts with line6 spider
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
lol the only difference between mexican and american strats are that mexican strats are made by mexicans in mexico, and american strats are made by mexicans in america...
Get a good guitar that fits your needs I like Fender Stratocasters with the humbucker in the bridge because you get a good range of tones that way.

As for the amp........get something in the roland cube series a cube 20X or 30X and please....DO NOT GET A LINE 6 SPIDER THEY ARE THE EPITOMY OF SUCK!!!!!!!!! YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE PLAYING THROUGH A TIN CAN AND SOME STRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROLAND CUBES ARE AWESOME EASY TO USE MODELING AMPS WITH AWESOME TONE.
UG's Prodigal Son
Stop just posting random shit. Wait until he gives a budget and playing style and you can recommend something that might actually sound good for his playing style.
Quote by DespisedIcon
What is your budget?
What styles do you want to play?

I mostly play whatever I hear and like. Green Day, Jack Johnson, Modest Mouse, etc. The song i'm working on right now is Where Is My Mind by the Pixies, which is just awesome. Definitely not any metal at the moment, and I don't want an Ibanez.
My price range is at most $1000 for a guitar, same for an amp.
That is some budget. Your pretty damn lucky. If you want a guitar with a tremolo, consider this guitar:

Ibanez S470DXQM
Mahagony Body
Ibanez Infinity Pickups
ZR tremolo
22 Frets
Ebony Fingerboard

This guitar is very versatile, great especially on cleans, and has a ZR tremolo, which is great because if you rock back and forth between string gauges, you don't have to screw around with the tension springs. Just turn the wheel on the back, and it will adjust itself. AVOID THE ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE AND NO-NAME LICENSED FLOYDS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE until you are a little bit more experience. If you're a beginner, they can really get in the way of playability, and I know that from personal experience. This guitar is $650.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAS470DXQM

As for the amp, consider this:

Bugera 333XL-212
120 Watts
4 x 6L6 valves (convertible to EL34s)
2 x 12" Bugera Speakers
3 Independant footswitchable channels (Clean, Crunch, Lead)
Includes 4-way footswitch

The specs speak for themselves. This amp is $700.

See how more money doesn't equal better guitar, amp, etc.?
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Jesus christ, the man says he doesn't want an ibanez, and he didn't list any metal in what he played, so of course you recommend an ibanez and a metal amp.

A strat is a pretty versatile guitar, I think that would be a good choice for a starter. If you don't mind spending your entire budget, an American standard strat costs about a grand. You could also get a made in mexico for about half that. A HSS strat would be even more versatile.

As far as amps go, for a thousand dollars, you can get a very nice amp on craigslist or ebay, if you don't mind used gear.

For that kind of money, they're going to be loud. If you want versatility in the amp as well, a line 6 flextone or a used vetta are some of the best modeling amps out there.

Some other amps to consider (they're not modeling but they're pretty versatile):
peavey classic 30
fender blues junior
vox ac15
voox ac30
peavey delta blues

Your best bet is to take few days and go to guitar center or sam ash and try out a bunch of different guitars and amps in your price range, because all these amps sound very different