Page 1 of 2
Personally I find it greasy and dont like doing it. However, for xmas im asking for a recorder thats $390. Moneys tight and its expensive so i offered to pitch in $100 (the most I can). The only thing is I forgot to factor in the tax and that extra could be the difference in getting it or not. So what can I say to the guys at the music store? its a family owned shop, not a chain and the people there intimidate the hell out of me lol. So is it unreasonable to say I just got $390 can we cut out the tax? what haggeling experiences have you guys had and howd you get them to lower the price?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I got a year free warranty for free from GC.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
You can take whatever your getting to the counter (used stuff that is..) and find little dents and scratches and ask them to take some money off. IT ACTUALLY WORKS! at least at Sam Ash it did.... anyway, i saves $75 on this Ibanez RG cause of some dents
If it's not a big chain then haggling should be no problem. Especially waving taxes.

Just walk in, look around for a bit, land on what you want and ask what they're asking for it.

Look like you're thinking it over for a bit and go, 'Hey man, I'll take it right now if you forget the tax'

If it's a product they don't sell very often, they'll do it quick.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I haggeled on my Tele and I got a huge cut (like two hundred dollars). This is how buisness is supposed to be practices, one person offers a price (the store) and you counteroffer. You shouldnt feel bad for wanting something that is legitimately marked up a large percentage. Just remember if you haggle that you might not get what you want.

p.s. remember to bring it in cash. Stores will give you stuff much cheaper for cash in hand than for a check because they know that its guarenteed, likewise they dont have to pay any credit card transaction costs or mess around with any other company should something go bad.
i enjoy head
Quote by Soul Eater
I got a year free warranty for free from GC.

I'd hate to think they would've made you pay for a free warranty.

[slaps forehead real hard]
Quote by KG6_Steven

hahahaha.
My brother got an amp half price a few years back, he switched the price tags on 2 amps, took the amp to the counter, paid and left. It must've been the guys first day not to notice such a pricing mistake, but I wouldn't chance my arm like that.
Try to haggle as much as you can but remember that you won't get much off it, they are trying to turn a profit. If you can't afford it ask them to order in a cheaper model for you.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
No need to feel greasy about doing it. Would you walk into a car dealership and offer to pay full asking price? Oh, and because the salesman is so nice and friendly, you offer to throw in an extra $2500. I don't think so. Fact of the matter is, there's A LOT of mark-up in guitars and music instruments. This is how stores and companies make profit. I've never paid full retail for a guitar - ever! You walk in the store, pick out the instrument you want and find the nearest salesman. With the guitar in hand, ask the salesman what's the best price on this guitar. Chances are, he'll go to the counter and look it up. He may wrinkle his face a little, but then he'll give you a lower price. If it's acceptable, take the offer and pay. If not, haggle some more. Keep in mind that I've heard Guitar Center no longer haggles. If so, you may be stuck paying full price. If so, see if they'll toss in some freebies, such as strings and picks.
So should I tell them my story and say its a gift and the extra for the tax might mean not getting it? I tryed my first haggleing attemt at long& mcquade (a chain) the other day on a amp, i asked them what they could do price wise and he said nothing they were firm lol then i tryed to get em to throw in a cable and he said they were firms on prices lol i felt dumb.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
So should I tell them my story and say its a gift and the extra for the tax might mean not getting it? I tryed my first haggleing attemt at long& mcquade (a chain) the other day on a amp, i asked them what they could do price wise and he said nothing they were firm lol then i tryed to get em to throw in a cable and he said they were firms on prices lol i felt dumb.

lol that happened to me too at l&m, I find it that stores, especially chain stores are getting harder and harder to haggle.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99

I've seen that one pulled many times and it doesn't work unless you have tits.

So either, grow a pair or haggle the way everybody else does.

Frankly, the ideology that you should have in your head when haggling is, 'I'm going to try to get this for the lowest possible price and if I'm not happy with that price, other stores will have it'

You don't need to buy stuff from their store, but they need you to make money.

Quote by mrxtreme_4
lol that happened to me too at l&m, I find it that stores, especially chain stores are getting harder and harder to haggle.

That's because chain stores have a no haggle policy.

Prices firm means prices firm.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Salesmen don't want to hear a story. They're at the store to make commission and get paid. The more customers they help and sell to, the fatter their paycheck. Simply walk up to the counter with the guitar and ask what their best price is on the guitar in your hand. If the guitar has a blemish or a small scratch, be sure to point it out - AFTER he's already shot you a lower price. In other words, he relents and gives you a lower price, so you start looking the guitar over and find something. A scratch is worth at least another $50 to $100 off the price, depending on how bad it is. If it's too bad, then I'd be looking for a whole lot more than $100 off, especially if they won't budge on the price.

Some places refuse to haggle. Some manufacturers prohibit the stores from haggling on their retail prices - Mesa is one example. The price you pay for a Mesa amp in Guitar Center is the same price you'll pay at Richmond Music Center, for example.
Quote by McMetal
You can take whatever your getting to the counter (used stuff that is..) and find little dents and scratches and ask them to take some money off. IT ACTUALLY WORKS! at least at Sam Ash it did.... anyway, i saves $75 on this Ibanez RG cause of some dents

Hey C'mon! But u got dents on your guitar
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I've seen that one pulled many times and it doesn't work unless you have tits.

So either, grow a pair or haggle the way everybody else does.

Frankly, the ideology that you should have in your head when haggling is, 'I'm going to try to get this for the lowest possible price and if I'm not happy with that price, other stores will have it'

You don't need to buy stuff from their store, but they need you to make money.

That's because chain stores have a no haggle policy.

Prices firm means prices firm.

BINGO!!!!
Quote by KG6_Steven

Actually it was a one year extended warranty that cost $20, but i got it for free.
It started when the free GC one ended.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
Actually it was a one year extended warranty that cost $20, but i got it for free.
It started when the free GC one ended.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to razz you about it.
Just go up and say, hey man, I've only got 390 for this, is that ok? I don't think you can pull off saying it's scratched for something like a recorder, since it would be in a box.
Quote by pak1351
Just go up and say, hey man, I've only got 390 for this, is that ok? I don't think you can pull off saying it's scratched for something like a recorder, since it would be in a box.

Step 1: ask to 'try" the recorder.
Step 2: when no one is looking pull out a knife and scratch it.
Step 3: get for lower price.

I've ALWAYS gotten free tuff when I've bought amps/guitars/pedals.

I got a free case with my electric
I got a free cable with one of my amps
Got 2 cables with my classic 30 because it took 4 months to get.
free patch cords with my wah
Got 50 bucks off my strat because it was a 2005 model (bought in 2006)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
This applies to me...i would like to know the art of "haggeling" ,what I assume is the acct of talking down the price.

I recall one of my friend's got like $200 off a B 52 AT-200 by doing so.

I would like to learn this in a way that would not make me sound like an ass when i want a lower price.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
I was so lucky with my guitar. I went with my guitar teacher who is friends with the guys there so i figured theyd be extra nice lol. I was ready to buy the guitar and the salesman said hold on i think that price just went up, he checked the computer, lowered the price (ended up being the same as the original sticker price - the tax) .Then i asked if it came with a hard case and he said no a gig bag but he'd see what he could do. So i didnt pay tax and got a free hardcase with no haggleing at all just questions. But this is a different store and the owners a old mean guy so i dont like goin in there. Only problem is i dont know if the good store sells boss products, i emailed em today and havent heard back yet..
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by danyellenik
Step 1: ask to 'try" the recorder.
Step 2: when no one is looking pull out a knife and scratch it.
Step 3: get for lower price.

I've ALWAYS gotten free tuff when I've bought amps/guitars/pedals.

I got a free case with my electric
I got a free cable with one of my amps
Got 2 cables with my classic 30 because it took 4 months to get.
free patch cords with my wah
Got 50 bucks off my strat because it was a 2005 model (bought in 2006)

I got a idea, you wanna come with me?? haha you sound like a expert haggler, southern Ontario by any chance?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
I got a idea, you wanna come with me?? haha you sound like a expert haggler, southern Ontario by any chance?

I'll be down in the south this weekend
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
A little piece of advice, threatening the salespeople does NOT help.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
haha, k be ready for the call. I might need a back up plan lol.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I never pay full price for anything. That's for suckers. I always try to go about half off and then they counter like 10% off, and I offer something around 60% of the normal item and usually they take it. If not, I walk out. 9 out 10 times they will come get me and make they sale work.

It's all about walking away from a deal if it isn't what you want. Be confident as well, by not dickhead confident.

I have a couple of times just asked them what kind of deal they can give me. Sometimes that works out pretty well.

YEt again I know have a good relationship with a few of the salespeople and they know that I will buy something and will be looking to wheel and deal.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Id really feel like a dick asking for 50% off lol. After that, asking to wave the tax seems like nothing.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
One time my old band went gear shopping at a local chain outlet store...and they had this really nice ESP bass that was marked well over half price because of missing knobs. So he asked a different worker to try one of the new basses to compare them...took the knobs off that one and put it back in the box...bought the marked down one, put the knobs on it in the truck on the way home. Taking the tax off is an easy way to haggle...the worst they can do is say no and you'll have to pay it anyway...the price isn't going to go up so what do you have to loose?
true but its a gift so a extra $50 could mean getting the recorder or having to get a Boss DD-7 instead (which I still want but id prefer the recorder)
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
-yeah the dude at the counter in guitar center gave me a 2 year warranty cus he didn't like the pedal i bought

-i'm gunna try to haggle a case into a 12 string im gunna buy for my dad if it doesn't come with one.

yeah dude just get some coupons for guitar center, i have like 3 ones for like 10% a single item.
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Quote by gpowsang
any tips at all?

1) Relax, take it slow - remember to breathe
2) You dont need to spin any BS IMO - you'll look a dick
3) Inspect it thoroughly find any imperfections or whatever you can
4) Sus out which of them makes the decisions and approach them
5) tell them what you can afford/what you have on you - but actually say you have a bit less, so you can come up a bit in price and make them think they have won a little too - and ask if that is their best price
6) If you havent already done the deal, start mentioning the imperfections and the tax
7) If that hasn't worked, use any of that cash reserve to come up a bit
8) if that doesn't work - walk because they obviously have a money tree out back.

It's part and parcel of trading and everyday business. I hate doing it - I'm no salesman, but it is normal and it becomes easier the more you do it.

Good Luck!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
^thanks...im probably not the best person to do this since ill think that they are thinking im automatically an ass for asking for a lower price, but as you said, it comes with practice
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
do your research on the product first. see if its an older model (maybe a year? 2 years?) you can sometimes bring up the fact that the company is likely going to roll out a new one and sometimes you can get a good deal on old equipment.

also do some research on the store, go in like everyday and see what is selling and what isn't. if there's a used recorder or anything that has just been sitting there for ages.. its likely they want you to buy and will damn near pay YOU to take it.

haggling still works at Long and Mcquade, but rarely on new stuff. just try to keep track and what is moving and what isn't, and if its obviously been used, they'll always take off about 10% for you.

IF you try to haggle on something thats new, keep in mind they are trained to have about... 4 or 5 rebuttals before they even go to get the manager. in which case you then have to haggle with them.. and its likely.. you might only get about 5 or 10 percent off. so you just need to figure out if its really worth it or not.

it never hurts to ask, they get asked it ALL the time anyway (sometimes rudely).. and if you're nice about it, they will likely appreciate the courtesy.

and yes! i did work at Long and Mcquade for a short time.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Dec 9, 2008,
^thanks for the response.

im planning on trying this on my SD Blackouts (new $170) that ill be getting for xmas, any thoughts on how to approach this one? Like can i get a discount on installation?

thanks again
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
Quote by ravioli123
My brother got an amp half price a few years back, he switched the price tags on 2 amps, took the amp to the counter, paid and left.

That could work!
UG's AC/DC Lover
^^

until the product is scanned in and the mesa roadster comes up as a line 6 spider II.

:S
Quote by Kivarenn82
^^

until the product is scanned in and the mesa roadster comes up as a line 6 spider II.

:S

assuming that it's a chain store, where haggling doesn't work at all. when i went to a local music store they had priced a VOX AD100VT as an AD50VT so I almost got it for $200 off. I ended up saving up for the mesa...
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
assuming that it's a chain store, where haggling doesn't work at all. when i went to a local music store they had priced a VOX AD100VT as an AD50VT so I almost got it for $200 off. I ended up saving up for the mesa...

aww but you don't wanna rip your local music shops.. mom and pops need to make a living too!

i worked at a mom and pop music shop too. i enjoyed it FAR more than L&M
Page 1 of 2