blackheart handsome devil 15 watt tube head:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH15H-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-Tube-Amp-Head-483096-i1400399.gc
palmino v23 30 watt head:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V32H-30W-Amp-Head-480988-i1172964.gc
which is better for a hard rock power tube saturated tone?
headroom for the palomino might be a problem (we're looking low here, not high)
suggestions? comments?
thanks
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I could have sworn that thing was discontinued.

If it's anything like my V33, it's good for hard rock.
i haven't played a blackheart, but i have played several palomino's and they were good, but not great tube amps. the palomino will probably have less headroom than you might think though. definitely head to guitar center or your local shop to try them out if you can.

how much are you willing to spend? you can get a great tube head used, too.

good luck in your search!
98 Epiphone Flying V Korina (Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus)

BD-2

Sovtek Mig-50
1979 Marshall 1960A (original Greenbacks)
I thought the Palomino was discontinued as well... It's a great amp in my opinion. It's got a reasonable price to match it great sound. I'd suggest it over the Blackheart, although since they are a relatively new company I haven't heard much of their sound.

80th best UGer
i highly recommend the V32. great amp, and like goolz said, it's good for hard rock
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by Zaxl_Rose
i haven't played a blackheart, but i have played several palomino's and they were good, but not great tube amps. the palomino will probably have less headroom than you might think though. definitely head to guitar center or your local shop to try them out if you can.

how much are you willing to spend? you can get a great tube head used, too.

good luck in your search!

budget is about 300, we could go to 350 max
(my drummer is buying this, but i'm going to use it too )
hmm good to know, thanks
suggestions for that budget?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by mustangrobert13
I thought the Palomino was discontinued as well... It's a great amp in my opinion. It's got a reasonable price to match it great sound. I'd suggest it over the Blackheart, although since they are a relatively new company I haven't heard much of their sound.

Funny thing is that Palomino and Blackheart are both properties of Crate.
Look for a used Fender Hot Rod on Craigslist with your budget, they usually run $350-450. If you can find a good deal, I recommend getting that.

80th best UGer
Quote by mustangrobert13
Look for a used Fender Hot Rod on Craigslist with your budget, they usually run $350-450. If you can find a good deal, I recommend getting that.

Not if he want's a british hard rock sound.
Quote by imgooley
Not if he want's a british hard rock sound.

He just said hard rock, not British.

80th best UGer
Quote by mustangrobert13
He just said hard rock, not British.

Excuse me.

goolz is right, hard rock british sound, thats what we're going for
sorry for not being specific enough
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
goolz is right, hard rock british sound, thats what we're going for
sorry for not being specific enough

I kinda guessed since you have a Marshall and you're looking at two british voiced amps.
bump?
anymore ideas?
my friend and i will go try the palomino sometime, when he goes to buy, i guess if we like it we'll get it, if not look more into the blackheart
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I really like my Handsome Devil, it's a great amp for the price, that's for sure.

You can definitely get British sounding drive out of it, think of Deep Purple and AC/DC in a mix, it's a very comfortable medium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6yP2CSEGk
The microphone compresses the tone a bit, but you can still hear it loud and clear.
Note: that is not in any way video of mine, haha. I have a 2x12, but it's vertical.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
OK, I've been playing my Blackheart HD for 3 day's now. It has a ton of headroom but the more aggressive you play the more the tubes break up. I'm playing through the BH112 cab. I will do classic rock (british)very well. It takes pedals pretty good, hell it even likes my Marshall Jackhammer OD.

It can pull anything from Cream to Metallica(with pedals). Really a nice amp. Do a youtube search for "the tone king". He actually as a shootout with a crate, fender and HD.

I haven't played the Palomino to give you a comparison
If that Palomino is anything like my v33, (4 EL84's), then there is a ton of headroom...you'd probably have to get an EQ or do what I did and put an OD pedal on the overdrive channel to get more distortion and breakup. It does take pedals extremely well though, so that's something to keep in mind.

I'd personally take the Blackheart, though I've never been able to find what kind of tubes it uses...anyone else?
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
2 12AX7's in the preamp, 2 EL84's in the power amp.

Metallica is easily achieved with pedals, I can do it with just my overdrive.

@SDS: Or just a BH thread in general, I've tried everything except the Hot Head.
Last edited by Mr.Camo at Dec 9, 2008,
Yeah, with 2 12AX7's in the preamp, it will achieve a better breakup with less volume required. You'll want pedals (an OD or something) if you want to push it harder, but you'll get less unwanted headroom with a fewer number of 12AX7's.

(I hope to God that I have that right like I think I do.)
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Really depends on how aggressive you play. I leave the volume on mine at 8.5 and the drive at 2. It stays clean till ya play hard then it just breaks up well.

I should state that I do not have any guitars with single bridge pups.
thanks for the responses, well in the first wave it seemed palomino was winning...
...but wow lots of people are suggesting the handsome devil too
i should make a poll
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
i say BH. i played the handsome devil at a guitar shop a couple weeks ago, really loved it! even better than the Little Giant, which is the perfect 5 watt tube amp for that classic rock sound, without paying out the ass for something like an orange i guess, or zvex nano.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i say BH. i played the handsome devil at a guitar shop a couple weeks ago, really loved it! even better than the Little Giant, which is the perfect 5 watt tube amp for that classic rock sound, without paying out the ass for something like an orange i guess, or zvex nano.

yeah when my drummer originally talked to me about getting an amp, and when i came across the handsome devil the first thing i thought was "i know slash rocks loves his" hahaha
yeah thats what we're going for here
so let me get this straight
out of the two it SEEMS like to me (just a guess) that the palomino might not sound has good (and have some more headroom etc.) but has more features, and the blackheart might sound better but doesn't have as much features?
maybe? haha
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
yeah when my drummer originally talked to me about getting an amp, and when i came across the handsome devil the first thing i thought was "i know slash rocks loves his" hahaha
out of the two it SEEMS like to me (just a guess) that the palomino might not sound has good (and have some more headroom etc.) but has more features, and the blackheart might sound better but doesn't have as much features?
maybe? haha

It has reverb and a boost, you could get the same effect with an overdrive pedal for the boost, and the reverb obviously with a reverb pedal.

The HD really is better then the Little giant, but it will still come down to personal preference.

Single channel amp without reverb or boost, but possibly better sounding, or a two (four if you're counting the effects) that's possibly a little worse sounding but has more wattage?
I think Mr.Camo is saying the Palimino has reverb and boost as the HD does not.

Don't want to confuse anyone
well with the extra knob for 'drive' and presence control, you have more fine tuning of your sound with the blackheart. and it's real easy to set the regular sound to clean-yet-crunchy when you hit the strings hard, then from there, OD that sucka into valve beauty. that's how i always play in the praise and worship band at church, works very well- especially when you use the volume knob on your guitar to help clean it up to preference. i wish i'd played a palomino or even a classic so i could REALLY compare...but i have not been dissapointed by my Little Giant, that's for sure, i just wish i had a 30 or 50 watt version of that sucker.

Quote by acdclandon
maybe? haha

haha that's cool, i was thought of.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
well how this looks neck in neck
i can already tell my (keep in mind still, mainly drummer so he's not he brightest....tehe) is leaning towards the palomino
i think it might single handedly come down to the headroom of the palomino, if we're able to get some nice crunchy sounds out of it, than its a winner
but just the clear fact we're having 30 watt way more features head vs. a 15 watt way less features head battle, and yet the palomino is 50 bucks cheaper new goes to show me that the blackheart might sound better in general, but who knows, sometime we'll go to guitar center and try out one of these two, or both
thanks to all those who responded, it really helped
anyone have anything else to add?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
well how this looks neck in neck
i can already tell my (keep in mind still, mainly drummer so he's not he brightest....tehe) is leaning towards the palomino
i think it might single handedly come down to the headroom of the palomino, if we're able to get some nice crunchy sounds out of it, than its a winner
but just the clear fact we're having 30 watt way more features head vs. a 15 watt way less features head battle, and yet the palomino is 50 bucks cheaper new goes to show me that the blackheart might sound better in general, but who knows, sometime we'll go to guitar center and try out one of these two, or both
thanks to all those who responded, it really helped
anyone have anything else to add?

Wat?

Since when is price an indicator of sound quality?

Also: The Palomino 2x12 combo is 600 dollars. So
yes i have something to add:

get the handsome devil.

i DO have soundclips of my LG in my profile...mind you the OD'd portions are with my bad monkey i used to own, but it's much nicer with the fulltone i use now.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by acdclandon
budget is about 300, we could go to 350 max
(my drummer is buying this, but i'm going to use it too )
hmm good to know, thanks
suggestions for that budget?

Here is what I would do. Find a used V30 V3112T. Basically the V30 non palomino amp but with a Tone Tubby speaker. It makes a huge difference in the sound and is way better than either of the amps you listed.