Im in the market for a new amp, my budget is £420, im interested in achieving a quality metal tone, I play thrash and melodic death metal.

Ive been looking into the Bugera amps, i was thinking about getting a 6260 combo as I heard they sound similar to Peavey 5150's, is this true? On the other hand ive been looking into the new Peavey Vypyr modelling amps, im a bit wary about going modelling however because of the thin, buzzy, fakeness that usually comes bundled along with other modellers (spider III anyone?) is this the case with the Vypyrs or has Peavey finally designed a modeller that sounds good?

When it comes down to it I need a good amp that has a nice tone, tone is really important to me even though im only a bedroom jammer atm, if my rig sounds like **** it really demotivated me and I dont spend as long playing, wheras if im playing through a rig with god-like tone I can sit there for hours riffing away. Should I go with a Bugera or a Vypyr? Or something else maybe? Please help me out.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
and your peavey triple XXX isn't what you are looking for?...

A peavey vypyr is a huge ass downgrade from a 40watt tube amp i thought?... unless i'm mistaken
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by DaddyBarbs
and your peavey triple XXX isn't what you are looking for?...

A peavey vypyr is a huge ass downgrade from a 40watt tube amp i thought?... unless i'm mistaken

No kidding.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
Out of the 2, I say a Bugera
If you can find a used 6505+ that would be perfect
ohai little sig.
dude.... you want a new amp.... and you have a triple x? why would you ever want a solid state haha. definitely go with the bugera
Quote by Demonikk
Out of the 2, I say a Bugera
If you can find a used 6505+ that would be perfect

yeah i played a 6505+ at gc the other day... i coulda walked out with a new head for $800 bucks but tbh i'm broke.

(they are usually $1,160 new for the head.. .thats almost 400 bucks of savings :O
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Yeah I just dont like the Triple XXX, I seriously cant find a nice tone out out it. Ive been trying for months to find a good tone but imo its the general voicing of the amp I dont like. Its quite a looses sounding amp, ive owned several Randall's before it (Warhead, RG100ES, RH50T, RG200SC) and I guess im used to the tightness these amps provided. I wanted a tube amp because of the organic, saturated tone ive heard from the likes of Machine Head, In Flames, Killswitch Engage, etc, but the Peavey is too damn loose sounding for me, and I dont like the voicing of the mid range.

From what ive heard on youtube the Bugera's sound like good amps, Id just like to know how the 6260 would compare to a real 5150 or my Triple XXX. The Vypyr would be an option only if it where able to emulate a realistic tube tone, not like the crap line 6 makes, a guy did a video on youtube comparing the Vypyr 15 to a Spider III 15 watt amd the Vypyr shat all over it, the spider was thin, fizzy and buzzy compared to the Vypyr which sounded much thicker and fuller, but it was hard to tell from a cam clip how good the amp actually was, which is why I need feedback on both the Vypyr and the Bugera
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Well Machine Head and In Flames both use 5150's so theres your answer....
Save up mate.
The Bugera totally slays in my opinion! I rekon it sounded great and is almost on par with 6505's. Beware of the reliability issues that some Bugera users have faced. Be expected to dish out for a re tube quite close to the date of purchase. If you score a good Bugera like most of the users on UG have, and get some nive JJ's in there then you'll be in metalcore heaven!
Out of the those 2 EASILY the bugera, get the 6260 and hopefully with the saved cash you can afford a retube and bias.
Good luck bro .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Bugera's are very different beasts to 5150's.
The raw balls to the wall agression the 5150 has isn't quite there in the bugera, it's a little sterile, a little tame.
They're voiced more differently than you'd think aswell.
It's definately worth saving another hundred quid or so then getting a used 5150.

Get the mk1 though. The upgraded clean channel you get in the mkII isn't worth the loss you suffer to the sound of the lead channel. The lead channel on the mkII is already monolithic, but the mkI has this obscene low mid growl that the mkII doesn't really seem to quite have.
Personally, if I was going with the Bugera I'd opt for the versatility of the 333XL. But I'm surprised you don't get on with the Peavey XXX. Just goes to show the worth of being able to try it out beforehand (I'm not saying you didn't, but it does illustrate that sometimes the tone your thinking of may not be achievable by what you would consider to be your dream amp).

I also agree with the comments posted about "downgrading" to the Vypyr, and to go for the Mk I 5150. The clean channell on the Mk II is not worth it, but again that personal opinion.
I always considered the XXX to be a pretty tight amp. If I had an XXX I would not be trading down to a Bugera or a Vypyr. Trading sideways to a 5150 or 6505 - maybe.

I'll just throw this out there since no one else did. Is it possible you should be looking at new pups, or an Overdrive pedal or a Compression pedal? Just askin.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'll just throw this out there since no one else did. Is it possible you should be looking at new pups, or an Overdrive pedal or a Compression pedal? Just askin.

This^. A speaker change can also make a big difference in your tone. As far as the Vypyrs go they are good amps and I really like mine but that is a downgrade from a XXX. I'd try some of the suggestions in this post (pedals, pups or speakers) and see if they help. A Vypyr 30 is only $200 so maybe buy one and keep your XXX too. Several players have good tube amps and a practice amp for bedroom playing.
As the users above me have suggested, maybe look into replacing to a speaker voiced more towards your needs. I'm surprised you're not satisfied with a Peavey XXX.

If you really want a new amp, I'd save up for a Peavey 6505+.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Personally, if I was going with the Bugera I'd opt for the versatility of the 333XL.

The 62s are still incredibaly versitile. I've just tried one at a shop and the clean channel sounds great, it's a hell of alota amp for the price. Never tried a 5150 though.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
ESP EX-400
Roland Cube-15
Bugera 6260 head
Home made 2x12 loaded with celestion G12t-100s

OPETH FTW