Been playing for 15 months and didnt play for 5 of em, just started to take guitar classes for the goodies (scales,arpeggios etc.) Just a few minutes ago i was playing scarified (racerx) and ive been trying to do what my teacher told me to do. Keep my thumb in the middle of my neck when im doing technical stuff meaning stuff like solos. Everything whent fine untill i got to the sweeping and the left side of my wrist hurt like crazy andy i cant keep my fingertips straight, they keep on laying flat. Im wondering if this is just something that happens when im new to this, that i dont do it this high up in the neck or something else. Please help.

P.S. I made an exact post about this earlier but since its no longer a new post no one will say anything on it, All i got was compliments which was good but i could really use some help on this thx.
Quote by Fatkevin334
Been playing for 15 months and didnt play for 5 of em, just started to take guitar classes for the goodies (scales,arpeggios etc.) Just a few minutes ago i was playing scarified

Ha ! lol..this make me laugh.
Quote by SuperJoop
Ha ! lol..this make me laugh.

But you didn't help him. You make me laugh. Ha.

TS, uh, let me think here...

I don't really know your hands as well as I know mine, but when I play fast, I tend to loosen my thumb off the back of the neck a little. I don't wrap my thumb around at all. I'm sure with practice, it will come along fine.
Quote by Fatkevin334
Been playing for 15 months and didnt play for 5 of em, just started to take guitar classes for the goodies (scales,arpeggios etc.) Just a few minutes ago i was playing scarified (racerx) and ive been trying to do what my teacher told me to do. Keep my thumb in the middle of my neck when im doing technical stuff meaning stuff like solos. Everything whent fine untill i got to the sweeping and the left side of my wrist hurt like crazy andy i cant keep my fingertips straight, they keep on laying flat. Im wondering if this is just something that happens when im new to this, that i dont do it this high up in the neck or something else. Please help.

P.S. I made an exact post about this earlier but since its no longer a new post no one will say anything on it, All i got was compliments which was good but i could really use some help on this thx.

Watch Paul Gilbert play it. Your thumb always changes to what you find comfortable for the most part. For stretch licks, you should be having it in the middle/close to the other end of the neck, in order to increase reach.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
My thumb is extremely long so it is constantly wrapped around the neck, resting on top. I know it is considered bad technique, but honestly, it is very difficult and uncomfortable for me to play with it on the back of the neck.
There are many things that can cause a wrist to hurt whilst being high up the neck.
In list of most common to least...
1. Strap to low (that is if your not sitting)
2. Guitar is resting on the right leg, id recommend trying the left leg. (that is if you are sitting)
3. Stiffer hands, try getting them more flexible via excersizes.
4. Small hands... Not very curable but very flexible can remedy this problem.
5. A bear is mauling your mother and your too preoccupied by the gore to properly roll your wrist.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Dec 8, 2008,
k, thanks for the bit of help. Maybe there isnt much to this problem except for the practicing part but i am still wondering if theres anything more to it. (to the second guy who posted)
thx alot for the sudgestions, they did help me and my hand size really isnt a proble. Im gonna try to get used to the thumn behind the neck thing and im going to ask my teacher about this this saturday and see what happens then.

5. A bear is mauling your mother and your too preoccupied by the gore to properly roll your wrist.

Made me lol
Quote by Fatkevin334
thx alot for the sudgestions, they did help me and my hand size really isnt a proble. Im gonna try to get used to the thumn behind the neck thing and im going to ask my teacher about this this saturday and see what happens then.

Made me lol

Although twas a pun, inside the pun might be the awnser to your problems.