well personally, I always reconmend you start on acoustic. If you can play it on an acoustic you'll be able to play it faster and better on an electric. Acoustic is better to learn the fundamentals.

But small amp, cable, guitar, strap, and picks. Some extra's that help a tuner, capo, maybe a pedal.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
1. A guitar that bloody stays in tune(ie, more than $200) if you can afford it.
2. A decent amp(I recommend Peavey; good cheap solid-state's).
3. Strap if you want to stand at all.
4. Pick(s).
5. A good tuner/metronome(I personally recommend a Boss TU-80. Expensive for a tuner? Yes, but it is a magnificent tuner).
6. Cables so you can plug stuff into stuff.
7. Strings for replacing strings that break.
8. A good gigbag/case.
9. A stand.

Some of these are personal preference, really you only "need" 1, 2, 5 and 6, but I recommend getting all 9 if you can.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I've been playing for years and I've never had a metronome. I'm sure it helps, but it's not a necessity. The bare necessities are a guitar, cable, amp, picks, and a tuner. You need a strap if your gonna play standing up. You should practice standing up if you intend on joining a band. There are a lot of guitarists who play great sitting down but can't play standing up because they didn't practice. You don't need to have extra strings on hand if you don't want to spend money on it. I've actually never broken an electric guitar sting in my life. I just change them every 2 months usually.
Quote by teknotard
well personally, I always reconmend you start on acoustic. If you can play it on an acoustic you'll be able to play it faster and better on an electric. Acoustic is better to learn the fundamentals.

But small amp, cable, guitar, strap, and picks. Some extra's that help a tuner, capo, maybe a pedal.

That makes complete and total sense, which is why I started with an acoustic. Now I want to get into the world of electric.
Quote by Brokntragedy
you need fingers.
Not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDLvlicXBV8

Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
get some chord charts or something. and yes a metronome.

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
I started off with a really ****ty starter amp and didn't realize how much it was hurting my playing until I got the chance to try a good amp... don't get a small, cheap solid state amp. Try to get a small modelling amp like a Micro Cube (of course it doesn't have to be that). Or whatever - just play around on different amps at the store and find one that suits your tastes and price range.
Guitar
Amp
Metronome - Yes, it is that important
All relevant cables
Extra strings

Addtional aids
Book of chords and scales - learn your theory, then ignore it
Guitar strap
Teacher - Get maybe a few lessons to put you on the right path, saves a ton of time when you realise your technique is wrong months down the line and you have to relearn to play.
A decent guitar that will stay in tune. Other than the obvious things, you'll need to have a tuner. One of the best things for a beginning guitarist is the internet where you have access to many learning resources such as this site.
what does a beginning electric guitar player need?

an acoustic.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
I hate it when people say that you should start out on acoustic because it builds finger strength. It's much more important to start out on something you'll like to play. It doesn't matter how strong your fingers are, if you don't enjoy it, you won't be playing for very long.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I hate it when people say that you should start out on acoustic because it builds finger strength. It's much more important to start out on something you'll like to play. It doesn't matter how strong your fingers are, if you don't enjoy it, you won't be playing for very long.

this.

plus generally you get what you pay for with acoustics. if you get a $200 one, ur gunna get a POS. a semi decent one will be about 400, and a good one about $700.

electrics on the other hand, you can get a fairly decent starter guitar for $250-300.
If you have a microphone with your computer and you're gonna be playing at home, you can just use AP Tuner... it's free and it's way better than most "higher or lower" tuners.
Quote by teknotard

possibly, but not if you give up because you really want to play electric.

Quote by gab4554
picks, a set of new strings (in case one strings breaks), strap, strap lock ( I recommend it if you use a strap), tuner, Battery (only if you have active pickups).

+1 (straplocks probably aren't a necessity, but wouldn't hurt). also a stand for the guitar wouldn't hurt either.

Quote by DuctTapeNinja

exactly. plus if you're only playing electric, you won't need the massive finger strength which having played acoustic first will give you.

i mean, if someone wants to play the trumpet, you don't tell them, "you should learn the piano first, that'll help your knowledge of where all the notes are better than trumpet will"...

actually, you could say that about guitar too, don't learn guitar at all, learn piano first!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A basic list of essentials if you're a starting guitar player:

Electric Guitar
Amplifier
Guitar cables (2 of these should be fine)
Guitar Tuner
Plectrums (you can never have enough plectrums)
Chord Dictionary

Of course having patience and a positive attitude towards learning helps too
If ur thinking of bringing ur guitar around i suggest a gig bag. I also suggest some picks and ernie ball regular slinkys. Once you get good enough then i suggest trying out the different gauges of strings.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I've been playing for years and I've never had a metronome. I'm sure it helps, but it's not a necessity. The bare necessities are a guitar, cable, amp, picks, and a tuner. You need a strap if your gonna play standing up. You should practice standing up if you intend on joining a band. There are a lot of guitarists who play great sitting down but can't play standing up because they didn't practice. You don't need to have extra strings on hand if you don't want to spend money on it. I've actually never broken an electric guitar sting in my life. I just change them every 2 months usually.

you... dont... break strings..!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!, ARE YOU ****ING KEANU REEVES OR SOMETHING!?
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by JELIFISH19

Your timing is probably worse than a man born with no ears and eyes.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
tuner (but learn to tune by ear first and metronomes usually have a built-in tuner [vice-versa])
Metronome (A must, but it can be found online)
strap
stand
Tuxguitar or guitarpro
maintenance kit (I use dunlop 65)
spare strings (ive never broken a string either)
picks
Quote by skaterkevin87
you... dont... break strings..!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!, ARE YOU ****ING KEANU REEVES OR SOMETHING!?

Is that really that uncommon? I don't wait till they break to change them. The guitar I was playing for most of the time didn't have a trem.
I've broken them trying to restring them, but never while playing

Quote by V.U.K
Your timing is probably worse than a man born with no ears and eyes.

I've been playing music all my life, so timing was nothing new to me when I started with guitar. It was hard in the beginning when my fingers couldn't keep up, but as I started getting better, the timing just fell into place
Quote by JELIFISH19
I've been playing music all my life, so timing was nothing new to me when I started with guitar. It was hard in the beginning when my fingers couldn't keep up, but as I started getting better, the timing just fell into place

yeah, same here. guitar isn't the first instrument for everyone. I don't actually have a metronome... though when i play i generally play along to cds etc., so that's more or less the same thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TehMasterSword
what does a beginning electric guitar player need?

an acoustic.

Maybe you should read all of his posts and then see that he had an coustic
Quote by necrosis1193
1. A guitar that bloody stays in tune(ie, more than $200) if you can afford it.
2. A decent amp(I recommend Peavey; good cheap solid-state's).
3. Strap if you want to stand at all.
4. Pick(s).
5. A good tuner/metronome(I personally recommend a Boss TU-80. Expensive for a tuner? Yes, but it is a magnificent tuner).
6. Cables so you can plug stuff into stuff.
7. Strings for replacing strings that break.
8. A good gigbag/case.
9. A stand.

Some of these are personal preference, really you only "need" 1, 2, 5 and 6, but I recommend getting all 9 if you can.

Yes. Except the metronome, you can simply google 'metronome' and you'll have one too

Quote by DuctTapeNinja

This too.

Only thing maybe to add is a teacher, but you can already play acoustic so you'll be fine right ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
im going to add a distortion pedal. You don't need it....and it can mask some bad habits, but the look on my face the first time I stepped on that thing and heard the sounds.......its almost orgasmic.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Quote by DuctTapeNinja

true, if i had started on acoustic i would probably have quit very fast, acoustic sounds so boring, and is boring to play
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard