17 68%
JEM first
1 4%
Save up 3 grand and buy both at once
3 12%
Amp + Different guitar
4 16%
Voters: 25.
Alright im in a bit of a pickle, guys. Lately ive been really trying to improve my tone, and one gutiarist really stuck out in my mind when i think of awesome tone. Steve Vai. i asked on here a few weeks ago if the Legacy was any good, and everyone seemed to agree it was a great amp for leads. Another vai thing ive always loved was his JEM Now, im thinking ill be getting money at christmas which should jumpstart my saving, so...

Which do i go for first? The Legacy (2x12 combo) or the JEM (7v, not the 555) The JEM is around 2 grand (a little more i think) and the legacy is just over 1 grand.

Also do you guys even think the JEM is worth it? It seems like a really nice guitar, but as all signatures are, its pricey. Cant beat that look though!

I want a really warm tone for my leads, because my current amp is a trebly disaster I dont need an extremely good metal/hard rock rythm sound, as i will use a pedal for rythms too.
Get the amp first. please note that sig models are usually overpriced and you can get simaliar ones for cheaper. Don't copy anyone's tone. Find your own.
amp first, but sorry whats the first song you're playing in the video on your profile. I should know it gdit this is killing me.

EDIT: NVM figured it out lol.
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Dec 8, 2008,
Amp first. That will have the biggest difference on your tone. Also, check out his new Distortion pedal from Ibanez.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
well the amp gives the majoriety (sp) of ur tone so i say new amp
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Shinozoku
Amp first. That will have the biggest difference on your tone. Also, check out his new Distortion pedal from Ibanez.

I was going to ask for it for christmas, but its a tad bit pricey for a pedal. I thought the money would be better put towards getting the amp/guitar. Its a very nice pedal though, maby down the road after i get the other stuff

@ King - If its the solos video, then the first song is Nothing Else Matters
A new amp is goin to make a world of difference as opposed to a new guitar. My general rule of thumb is: 50% fingers, 40% amp, 10% guitar. I dont know how accurate that is but thats according to the differences I have noticed. Get some money together and get a good amp first.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
"Also do you guys even think the JEM is worth it? It seems like a really nice guitar, but as all signatures are, its pricey. Cant beat that look though!"

Like a pair of shoes...Try 'em on and see how they fit.
Quote by BeerChurch
"Also do you guys even think the JEM is worth it? It seems like a really nice guitar, but as all signatures are, its pricey. Cant beat that look though!"

Like a pair of shoes...Try 'em on and see how they fit.

Hopefully will be on saturday, if the shop still has one. Doubt they have the legacy though