I like to play blues, but whenever I try to solo in another genre it always sounds bluesy and doesn't fit the song I'm trying to solo on. Any ideas on how to make them less bluesy for when I'm not playing blues?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Just play with feel and make it your own. I play everything bluesy and make it fit, make it your own style.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
yeah it happens to me too even thought it can be fun to play blues on the pentatonic
just look on an article on here or something about modes and try those in that key
I think certain modes lend themselves to the blues, though in 17 odd years I have managed to get away without really knowing them that well

Check out the mixolydian - that's supposed to be good for blues
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Learn the solos of players who are not very bluesy at all, this will help you break out and give you more ideas that aren't blues.
Start with the major scale. It's damned near impossible to sound bluesy using a major scale. Nothing like forcing yourself out of the box.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
As said, different scales are important, but a huge part of blues is style: think of how bends and vibrato effect the sound for a 'bluesy' feel. Often I feel blues tries to get the guitar to 'sing', to give it a more human tone. So avoiding the stylistic aspects of blues will also get you the sound you're seeking.
Don't overthink it. I did once and it ruined my soloing. tried jazz scales, half-wholes, tried being clever, the whole lot. Ruined me for absolutely years. I listen back to the tapes i had before and really like my bluesy freshness and spontaneity and burn.
Now I do play bluesy and just play for me, and it does a great job. It sounds like you have a voice, and you end up sounding like you. Don't lose that. People will like you for what you are if you are genuine.
If you want to branch out, listen to SLIGHTLY different players still in that blues range like Allman, Santana, Zack Wylde, I mean, Listen to Babylon By Bus (Bob Marley) and there is great great lead playing and you know what? Its all bluesy, pure blues, but it sounds good and sounds like reggae.
So just be you, enjoy being you, and dont beat yourself up.
Freepower has a good point in change the way you make your phrases. If you listen to pink floyd or allman brothers they have many great phrasings off the same scale that your probably used too but they do not sound bluesy all the time. You havent even come close to trying every possible phrasing with the pentatonics so expirament and try new things.

I find myself using lots of the same licks and sometimes its easy to burn licks into you brain and pull them out instead of playing what you feel. So expirament and use your ears and focus on playing what you want to hear not what your fingers remember.

Learning some other peoples solos that use pentatonics that dont sound bluesy could give you more ideas as well.

All those ideas and you havent even learned a new scale.

Now if you learn other scales too you can do even more. I want to get better at using minor and harmonic minor scales myself. Can anyone suggest some songs that have solos clearly and obviously dirrectly off the harmonic minor to recomend to me and the TS?
Focus on using the full major and minor scales, rather than just the major and minor pentatonic.

LISTEN to the genre that you're trying to play. In Jazz, there's not so much bending going on, whereas it's a necessity in the blues (if you want to truly sound bluesy).

It'd really help if you gave an idea of some of the other genres you'd like to play in. Are you aiming for metal or jazz? You can really get away with bluesy solos in most other styles and feel comfortable doing it, whereas in those two genres, I never feel comfortable playing bluesy stuff.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Thanks for all the help, I will be sure to try all this out. I play alot of bluesy stuff, but then when I want to play a solo over an alternative song alot of times it gets way too bluesy. I play all sorts of genres and all my solos sound alike so I am trying to get out of that rut.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
plenty of good tips in there....i think the best one is to try a harmonic minor scale...you're probably playing mostly minor pentatonic, right? so, this should be similar but different enough to sound less bluesy. also, consider trying some of the minor modes (like phrygian and dorian).
^
Just be sure that if you start branching into different modes, you're using them properly. You can't just say, "I'm going to play the Harmonic Minor here" on a whim. If there isn't something in the harmony that uses the natural 7 in place of the flat 7, it might sound like you don't know what you're doing.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by lbj273
Thanks for all the help, I will be sure to try all this out. I play alot of bluesy stuff, but then when I want to play a solo over an alternative song alot of times it gets way too bluesy. I play all sorts of genres and all my solos sound alike so I am trying to get out of that rut.

Stop playing bluesy, simple as that.

The scale isn't your problem - it's the way you're using it. If you keep playing blues licks ina bluesy way then of course you'll sound bluesy, you just need to be more creative with the scale. Start actually listening to yourself play and pay attention to the sounds of thatt scale rather than mechanically following familiar patterns. Also, make sure you know the minor pentatonic scale all the way up the fretboard and get used to moving horizontally as well as vertically.

Exploring the extra two notes that the natural minor scale contains would also be useful but there's no reason to even look at modes yet, they'll only confuse matters. Like I said, the pentatonic scale isn't your problem - it's how you're playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i used to have the same problem...when i would play a rock tune and then solo, it would sound like hyped up SRV, but still too bluesy

us diff licks, diff phrasing
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I wasn't aware that Eric Cartman was a UGer.

He said that about me