Hey, I'm primarily learning acoustic, started on electric but sticking to my own acoustic stuff for now.. my friends band need a bassist and I toyed with the idea of buying a cheap one and giving it a go.. one that will perform and small concert level.. (pub, town hall sorta standard.. mostly pubs or gardens though)

My two concerns are... I don't have much money to spend, and the amp I have for my electric seems ****e. I will have to cut back on bells and whistles until I'm sure i'll persue it, and also wonder if I would REALISTICALLY have time to learn both instruments (how else do people learn.. piano, guitar, drums, bass.. etc.. all these multi talented people..?) I don't really desire to become a GOD at one, or both, for me that's not what it's about.

My other concern is they are big and I am small.. also my knowledge is incredibly little, I'm sure learning guitar will have helped me but.. not sure I'll be dextrous enough..

so... I was HOPING to not have to spend much more then 100-120 pounds.. I don't know what determines the sound quality of a bass, or how it plays, the weight.. I know nothing.. so any tips please enlighten me.. and is it easy to teach yourself, or possible. Thanks
Accidents waiting to happen
Go to a local music shop and try one out. Look into buying a used one, it's how I buy my gear 'cause I'm cheap.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I chose bass over guitar. I play both, but my guitar is just to mess around with.

I don't like how close the strings are on a guitar or how small the frets are compared to bass. Bass will give your fingers a better workout as you'd probably be playing with your fingers too.

Check eBay for cheap basses, and I'm pretty sure Fender has some pretty good cheap beginner basses.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
what will be the difference between cheap and expensive though? I am told not much.
of course, cheap basses will be made of cheap material and parts. expensive basses are made of expensive materials and parts.

expensive basses usually do sound better too

although ALWAYS do as much research as possible before buying gear.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
my tip for you would be to stick with your acoustic. im a bass player for four years and love it, and i have very small hands, but it is easier for me to play. my first bass was a cheap ebay bass, and it plays great still, i now have a fender stingray 5 string, and it is a great bass
Defintely give bass a go.

Unfortunately for 100 pound, you really cant get much. Maybe just a bass, and you will destroy your guitar amp if you use that. For 200 pounds you could get one of the Squier or Ibanez starter packs, which are pretty decent.

Believe it or not the size thing is really a non-issue. I've seen girls who are 4' 8" handle a 34" scale bass just fine. I'm only 5' 6" myself with pretty small hand and I don't have problems. If you learn proper technique, you won't have any problems either. And if anything I think playing both bass and guitar helps you as a muscian. Knowing how both work, and knowing how to implement them and figuring out how they compliment each other, just amkes you better.
Quote by Easy-Lucky-Free
what will be the difference between cheap and expensive though? I am told not much.

Materials, hardware and build quality are the main differences. The higher end basses are usually built better which makes them nicer to play, or at least that is the case in my experience.
However a lot of your sound will be coming from your amp.

Edit: Also, what Captain Insano said.
Looks like it might have to be put on hold. I'm not that willing to spend a lot given it's a bit of a gamble.. however my friends do need a bass guitar and I don't think I'd have an issue selling it slightly cheaper to them some day. It's possible. My friend Jack plays electric acoustic and can play some bass, he's an excellent musician. There's a high chance I'll work on my own... so having a bass to make up my own songs wouldn't be too shabby either.. I really can't think of other things I want to spend money on right now, that's the good thing..
150 is probably the max I'd spend. I saw someone recommend Ibanez in their sig. The GSR200, which is around 150 pounds.
£100 can get you an amp and a bass these days. All you gotta do is search and wait on forums.

Ok, I spent 2 minutes looking for a working bass and a working amp for £100-£120.

Encore P Bass

Ashdown Five Fifteen

That's a 100W amp and an ok-ish P bass for £105.

One of them is sold (the amp) but it's just an example. Go second hand, check out your local Gumtree website or a large forum (like the one i've linked you to).

Ibanez GSR200 for £80.

Gahhh look at that price.
Quote by Starkie
i now have a fender stingray 5 string

I'm sure Fender might be tredding on some other big company's toes if they released a stingray.

If you can convince yourself you'll stick with it, then I'd spend up to £200. You don't want to get into the position where you hate everything about your bass when you're starting out, as it is not very motivational.

Ibanez and Yamaha do some good starter packs for under £200.
signature