So i'm thinking of buying a used car from a listing on craigslist, it's a 2000 Toyota Celica GT with some mods done to it (including newer motor at about 70,000mi and wing lambourghini-style doors). Now, the price isn't bad imo (500-1000 cash down and finish paying owner's loan of a bit over 5,000). The only problem is that he told me that the transmission needs some work. For some reason it grinds when shifting up to 3rd.

Now... does anyone have any idea of what the problem might be and how costly it could turn out? I really really like this car and will check it out this week. But i really want to know whether i should just avoid it or try to fix it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
So i'm thinking of buying a used car from a listing on craigslist, it's a 2000 Toyota Celica GT with some mods done to it (including newer motor at about 70,000mi and wing lambourghini-style doors). Now, the price isn't bad imo (500-1000 cash down and finish paying owner's loan of a bit over 5,000). The only problem is that he told me that the transmission needs some work. For some reason it grinds when shifting up to 3rd.

Now... does anyone have any idea of what the problem might be and how costly it could turn out? I really really like this car and will check it out this week. But i really want to know whether i should just avoid it or try to fix it.

You should be shot for even thinking about buying it.
Avoid it. With the kinda ricey mods done to it who knows how the previous owner drove it. I would look somewhere else. However it's up to you in the end.
Who needs 3rd gear?
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Jericho114
Who needs 3rd gear?

my bike hits 100mph in 2nd gear so I don't really need the other 4 gears.
Quote by TestMan6
my bike hits 100mph in 2nd gear so I don't really need the other 4 gears.

i pooped a little.
the answer to all Car questions is

"THE TIMING BELT GODDAMN IT ITS THE TIMING BELT!!!"
or thats what any mechanic will say about anything
the grinding for 3rd gear is probably a bad synchro. Its a common problem for 3rd gear cause its kinda an odd throw for most people. Unofortunately you have to take the trans apart to fix it so it will be quite expensive.
Also if you think your good enough at driving stick that you dont need a clutch to shift then theoretically you wont grind it into 3rd anyway. Or as someone posted earlier, just rev 2nd up higher and go right into 4th.
Quote by Flying Couch
I wouldn't go for one with such silly mods, but Celicas FTW.

Ironic.

Quote by dj12488
Also if you think your good enough at driving stick that you dont need a clutch to shift then theoretically you wont grind it into 3rd anyway. Or as someone posted earlier, just rev 2nd up higher and go right into 4th.

That'll be hard on the engine in the long run
Either of them.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Dec 9, 2008,
Thats true, all im saying about the clutchless shifting is that if you know enough about when to shift that wouldnt need the clutch then you would know when you could shift and not hit the syncro or grind the gears.
Quote by hwangm
Avoid it. With the kinda ricey mods done to it who knows how the previous owner drove it. I would look somewhere else. However it's up to you in the end.

the man speaks the truth
"Ladies and gents."

That concludes our tour of the toilets.
Quote by dj12488
Thats true, all im saying about the clutchless shifting is that if you know enough about when to shift that wouldnt need the clutch then you would know when you could shift and not hit the syncro or grind the gears.

No one's that good.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by Artema
the man speaks the truth

This man speaks the truth about the previous man speaking the truth.
Really thats kinda strange cause the only time i use the clutch is when im starting from a stop and have done so for 4 years. Never broke an engine, trans, and have never replaced a clutch in 80,000 miles
^ 80K might not do it, but it's still hard on the gears. It will catch up with you at some point.

TS, the problem is likely a bad synchro...not too terribly difficult of a fix, but it's no filter change either.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by dj12488
Really thats kinda strange cause the only time i use the clutch is when im starting from a stop and have done so for 4 years. Never broke an engine, trans, and have never replaced a clutch in 80,000 miles

What are you driving?
Quote by handbanana
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ 80K might not do it, but it's still hard on the gears. It will catch up with you at some point.

TS, the problem is likely a bad synchro...not too terribly difficult of a fix, but it's no filter change either.

That's what i thought. However it would still require to take apart the tranny wouldn't it?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.