Hey guys I've been wondering why the Line 6 Spider 3 is put down so much. It doesn't seem to sound too bad from what I hear on youtube videos(and I know it wouldn't sound exactly the same as real life, but I can't see how it would sound worse irl as opposed to a video recording).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9k6wq_B8nw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSDac4In9ho

A few examples of players with Spider 3's that have what I think is a pretty nice tone, not the best, but not horrible.
So.. What's so bad about it?
there is so much better fora cheaper price like a peavey vyper
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
It's a low-quality solid state amp with some very badly recorded and sterile digital modelling.

I think the Marshall MG series is worse, but only because the Marshalls cost more and so are ripping people off further.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
In comparison to other amps, they sound like crap. However, a lot of people run into the problem of being able to afford something better. Hell, I'd be playing into a Mark IV or VHT if I could afford it.
no
Quote by Felttoaster
there is so much better fora cheaper price like a peavey vyper

So the only reason is that there is better amps for the same or less? I'm just looking for HOW they are better. No one has yet to actually explain why it's not as good. The Vypyr is the same price as the Spider im pretty sure, by the way.
The roland cube series is easier to use, has a wider range of tones based of real roland amps and boss pedals and the tone is just higher quality.
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by Frosted Flakes
So the only reason is that there is better amps for the same or less? I'm just looking for HOW they are better. No one has yet to actually explain why it's not as good. The Vypyr is the same price as the Spider im pretty sure, by the way.

the vyper has more option and better sound.
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
Loads of people in these threads act like they're the gods of taste and choice. Not necessarily people here but.. in general. No one is. You have to decide FOR YOURSELF what you like the sound of. God forbid, but I've been playing for years and I, so far, have in general liked solid state amps better than tubes.

I have a spider II (Bought it four years ago). Yeah, it's probably more of a beginner amp, but that can be good. It gets you used to several effects, as well as how to deal with overall different tone. It doesn't take any modulation at all. It's an amp. A playable amp that's reasonable for the price. I don't even dislike the tone.

I say go for it. People can flame me or you, but.. never give much notice to what people say from behind a screen. It's your choice. I love mine like a child.
My Rig:
Schecter 006 Diamond Series (Discontinued) Flat Black
Jackson JS30RR Metallic Blue
Line 6 Spider II 210
Boss TU-2
Sennheiser E835-S

Current Top 3:
Between the Buried and Me (Always)
The Faceless
Murder By Death
I have the Spyder II HD 175 and I love it I have tried the IIIs and they are nice as well. Yesterday I actually tried the Roland cube just because people here rave about it and recommed it they say how great it is. WTF ???? It is horrible IMHO talk about a fake digital crappy cheap sound. I'll stick with my Line 6 thanks you. I have tried the Vyper before and I wouldn't say it's better but equal to the Line 6. Before I got my Line 6 I had an MG 100 full stack and it is the worse setup I ever owned or played thru no matter what I did I just couln't get a decent sound out of it even using a boat load of pedals. Long ago I had a Marshall 100 watt tube head and full stack that I got in the 70s I sold it off and later when I got back into guitar I got the MG 100 ful stack I figured it would at least be decent being a Marshall for some reason it sounded a lot better in the store. POS as far as I am concerned.

People IMHO are lazy they just don't want to experiment with these amps I do have to say the presets are useless but they are useless on any brand amp I have tried you need to find the right combination of settings that fit your needs and I swear people just don't try.

John
i guess spider III's are good for what they are intended for, inexpensive practice amps. I find the effects on them to be basically worthless. And the gain to be quite muddy on them. But i guess its better to have a spider than no amp at all.