ok, im starting a punk band, and in a song i wrote theres screaming in it, but im no good at screaming, and i was wondering if someone could give me tips on getting better at it.

what an odd request, huh?
how about don't
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
The way you "yell" is to raise the volume of your voice. The way you would normally speak, only louder

screaming is an entirely different matter in and of itself, and only professional advice should be sought
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
If you're yelling... it's pretty much just getting loud. If you want to scream, get Melissa Cross': The Zen of Screaming, it gives you a lot of pointers and helps you do it without murdering your vocal cords.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
yea the best idea would be to not do it. thats about the best advice you can get on the subject.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
hook up some steel clamps to yourself. two to your nipples and one to your ball sack. get a little handheld button you can push when you need to scream.
Quote by racman92
If you're yelling... it's pretty much just getting loud. If you want to scream, get Melissa Cross': The Zen of Screaming, it gives you a lot of pointers and helps you do it without murdering your vocal cords.

^ this

worked for me. but i do more of the deathcore stuff. i'm not sure how dificult it is to master a full voice yell, but do some research and don't hurt your self.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Yelling isn't always bad to your throat. You can learn to yell in a safe way. Just look at the numerous big hardcore acts, such as Hatebreed who have been active since 1994. Jame Jasta's (the vocalist's) voice almost hasn't changed at all since he started out. That is technique!

However, as many have written before me, screaming isn't very easy to grasp. Many who try to explain it does it in a rather unclear manner. Screaming really is somewhat hard to teach people!

I would suggest that you don't watch The Zen of Screaming, as it deals too much with correct breath techniques (don't misunderstand this, breath techniques are crucial, but some of the ones in TZoS isn't really relevant to the beginner), and general tips for people who already know how to scream decently. Instead, try the "Growling Thread" here at UG. It offers a lot of useful information for the aspiring growler/screamer/yeller/whatever. You also may want to search youtube for tutorial videos. Some people there may be able to help you, but far from all of them. Many who say they know how to scream don't.

Good luck!
Last edited by Fettot at Dec 12, 2008,
^Spot on.

ONLY one thing...do give the ZoS 2 a look. It has a lot of helpful things, I'd reccomend it.

There's a guy on here that I got my first screaming lesson from, this guy's good too. Not sure if he wants the attention though, so I'll leave it at that.

EDIT:

\/ That guy.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Last edited by valennic at Dec 12, 2008,
listen to my audio instruction on my profile, it apparently has helped quite a few people (its gotten more hits than any actual music) if you have any questions let me know. peace out
I'll second this. Of all the screaming/yelling/growling advice I have read on this forum, this is the *only* source I can think of that hasn't made me want to pound my head on my computer desk, subsequently bemoaning the prospect of our youth inheriting the earth....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by uk.mace
Why did you write something for you to do, that you can't do? Seems kinda ilogical...

+1

pig squeals all the way

STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Yeah i agree with most stuff on this thread. Im also in a punk/hardcore band and when im playin and singin i step away from the mic and shout, it can mess your voice up though so dont do it constant.
turn your amp up and your PA down and scream to try and be louder than the guitar.. then once you get that numbish feeling in your voice, turn the PA back up and you're all set...

you only need to do that once, and then you just taught yourself how to do it.

for me, i sang the first 2 words of "walking is still honest" by Against Me! at a band practice and have been singing that way ever since
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.