So I've had said mg30dfx for about 2.25 years now, and it's been a reliable, decent practice amp. Until now....

Lately, I've noticed that I'll turn it on and everything is fine, but after a while, it gets noticeably quiter and sounds... worse. If I turn it off then turn it on again, then it goes back to normal. But then the volume just dies over time again. Like it'll go from decently loud (bedroom-wise) but I'll come back and it'll be barely audible.

Why could this be? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
in b4 the amp IS the problem.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Its an MG?

One must deal with the consequences of the terrible amps he buys.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Hm, I was expecting these answers....

It's a PRACTICE amp, and yes i'd rather have gotten a Micro Cube, but oh well.....
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

was the amp new when you bought it? (dispite the "wonderful" reviews for the mg, I'm aware that it is decent at low volumes and most people just bash it because it gets fuzz and s#!t at higher volumes.)
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
My effects loop mix knob was turned on my MG100, and it started getting crap sound after an hour or so. Turn the thing down except for the bare essentials. Besides, you'll get crap out of it anyway, it's a damn MG.
GTFO my sig
It's an extremely low quality practice amp, did you expect it to last forever?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah, it was new. Uh, I keep the volume relatively low... 1-2. The last time it was at a higher volume was like a year ago.

Eh, guess I'll need to find a microcube soon.
Quote by SOADrox429

To me it sounds like a bad connection or a capacitor, so if we translate that to ultimate-guitarian: time for a new amp!
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Just the way alot of the lower price SS stuff is now. The MGs and spiders have alot of various electric gremlins that come to light after the warranty runs out. In corporate thinking it means you will buy another one and another one. Only in real life we just move on to more reliable brands after the first one craps out. Not much can be done for it time for a new amp.
Quote by thsrayas
To me it sounds like a bad connection or a capacitor, so if we translate that to ultimate-guitarian: time for a new amp!

I rather like the idea of a language for this site. Maybe not Ultimate-Guitarian, though. How about UGeenglish? Or Ultimate-Guitarese?

At any rate, as nobody else is really posting anything other than "l0lz0rz @ UUUU 4 h4zing t3h MG!! NUB!!!" , I agree with the above quote. Something messed up in your amp. You can either get a new one (recommended), or find someone who can maybe fix it.
Just thinking out loud as a fellow MG'er and someone who works with overheating computers and routers.......

why not try blasting cool (not cold) air in through one of the inputs to keep it cool?

Mine is 7 years old and other than the pots getting dusty (easily cured) I've had no problems with it, but unfortunately it does sound like you may need to put up with it for a while and save for a new amp.

Paying for it to be repaired would be chucking money away

Does it happen on headphones/line oput as well?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Hi all. I guess this goes in the 'wish I read it yesterday category' but I picked up a cosmetically perfect MG30 dfx. (Looked so nice I didn't expect an issue.)

When I start turning knobs, getting noisy, fuzzy sounds at low volume, I jumped online to find out all the typical problems. Yep, same thing.

The good news is that I already have a tiny boatload of the capacitors I saw recommend, and the IC's are cheap. Should be about an hour on the bench. Good cleaning, new caps and chips!! Perhaps a perfect example of polishing a turd.
Last edited by ECB1970 at May 29, 2017,
Quote by ECB1970
Hi all.  I guess this goes in the 'wish I read it yesterday category' but I picked up a cosmetically perfect MG30 dfx.  (Looked so nice I didn't expect an issue.)

When I start turning knobs, getting noisy, fuzzy sounds at low volume, I jumped online to find out all the typical problems. Yep, same thing.

The good news is that I already have a tiny boatload of the capacitors I saw recommend, and the IC's are cheap. Should be about an hour on the bench.  Good cleaning, new caps and chips!! Perhaps a perfect example of polishing a turd.

Hey friend, this thread is 9 years old. It would have been smarter just to make a new thread.

With that stated, I would not bother with it at all. Maybe you want to at least hear the amp "proper" considering you just bought it, but its proper sound is not worth hearing.
Yes, thanks. Problem is I'm a noob and wasn't sure how. Plus, unaware of the age of the thread, it's the source of ALL the info that helped with troubleshooting, etc.

UG has proven a valuable asset in just a few days!!