I'm looking for a new acoustic. I've been working hard and I feel like I really deserve a nice acoustic. I've gone to guitar center and tried a whole lot of them out, and I found a very plain little takamine had the most amazing tone I've ever heard. It was the EAN10C and I would love to own it. However, I do not want to spend 1000 dollars on one guitar. If I can cut down the budget to half that, I would be very happy. Can you suggest an alternative to the EAN10C with a cedar top? I have a feeling that and the mahogany sides and back were the main reason that takamine sounded so good.

I found this guy http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EGS330SC-AcousticElectric-Cutaway?sku=516301&src=3LTAWXX1 which seems promising, but I haven't even heard of Nato wood. How would that compare to the mahogany? I would prefer a NEW acoustic electric with a cutaway if possible. Plain jane is my style too. No abalone junk please.

Any suggestions?
If I remember correctly, Nato is almost exactly the same as mahogany.

Part of the reason that acoustic sounds so good is probably because the EAN10C is all-solid. The under $1000 Taks, the G Series, are all solid top and lam back and sides. However, there really isn't a brand out there that sounds like a Takamine. Bright, chimy highs and nice deep smooth lows. It's a combination I really haven't found in any other brand, but that is limited knowledge from me. If you really really like the EAN10C, I would save up for it. With Takamines, once you get out of the G Series, the guitars get absoluetly AMAZING. The G Series guitars are good, but beyond that to the all solids...there is a reason Takamine has such a good reputation as a top acoustic brand.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
If I remember correctly, Nato is almost exactly the same as mahogany.

Part of the reason that acoustic sounds so good is probably because the EAN10C is all-solid. The under $1000 Taks, the G Series, are all solid top and lam back and sides. However, there really isn't a brand out there that sounds like a Takamine. Bright, chimy highs and nice deep smooth lows. It's a combination I really haven't found in any other brand, but that is limited knowledge from me. If you really really like the EAN10C, I would save up for it. With Takamines, once you get out of the G Series, the guitars get absoluetly AMAZING. The G Series guitars are good, but beyond that to the all solids...there is a reason Takamine has such a good reputation as a top acoustic brand.

Not the same as mahogany. nato is a cheap lumberyard variant.

As far as cedar tops, Walden makes a bunch, Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, A used Taylor could be up your alley as well.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. I was able to find a used EAN10C for a much better price, and I'm debating if I should snag it up right now or not.
i recently got a Seagull guitar with a cedar top and I love it. was $479 from GC.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Quote by Mecler
Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. I was able to find a used EAN10C for a much better price, and I'm debating if I should snag it up right now or not.

If you can play it and see it in person first to make sure everything is in good order, go for it!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i love cedar tops i got a masterbilt all solid dr500r and i went and bought a takamine gs330s solid cedar top and nato back and sides and now all i play is my takamine lolz .. and its as plain jane as it gets
take it easy man .. its just a thread
If you don't need acoustic electric, look for Takamine N series, or AN series.

I have the AN-10, which is the non-electric version of the one you are looking at.

I've seen the prices on these two series range between $400-700.