I'm kinda worried about myself. In music theory class, I'm really slow, I get the theoretical stuff and I'm good at listening to intervals and I get perfect grades on those two things, but whenever I have to transcribe a melody (melodic dictation) or sight sing, I'm way behind everyone else. But, I write classical music that people have told me is very unique and that they haven't heard anything like it. I'm writing a symphony right now and I just finished a string quartet. My first composition ever just won a contest so this is why I'm confused. Why can I hear this intricate music in my head (I can write a full original symphony in my head with all the parts), but I can't sight sing or do any melodic dictation? I feel retarded in that class because I'm so far behind everyone in those two things, but ahead of everyone in my compositions. Does one have to do with the other? Will my melodic dictation and sight singing problems hold me back or will they improve with practice?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Your problems will hold you back to an extent, but they will also improve with practice.

It's important to be well-rounded in all aspects. Just focus on improving your weaknesses and you'll be a better musician for it.
Quote by KwikKopy
Your problems will hold you back to an extent, but they will also improve with practice.

It's important to be well-rounded in all aspects. Just focus on improving your weaknesses and you'll be a better musician for it.

I know they'll hold me back, because half the stuff I hear I can't get down because of my problems. Part of it might be nerves too. I'm much better at everything alone in my house than in a classroom. Everyone in the class knows my compositions so I feel like if I mess up at all there is a lot riding on it.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I know they'll hold me back, because half the stuff I hear I can't get down because of my problems. Part of it might be nerves too. I'm much better at everything alone in my house than in a classroom. Everyone in the class knows my compositions so I feel like if I mess up at all there is a lot riding on it.

Maybe this is why so many musicians write while under the influence of mind-altering substances.
I envy the fact you have the musical ability to transpose the stuff in your head onto paper. I would kill to be able to do that.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Blow Me
I envy the fact you have the musical ability to transpose the stuff in your head onto paper. I would kill to be able to do that.

I use Sibelius, so when I put the notes in I hear whether I'm right or wrong right away. I can't compose directly onto sheet music paper.
I feel like I have little to no song writing ability but I've been playing for over 10 years, I don't know what to do. I can play fine I just don't feel I'm as creative as I should be. Not trying to hijack or anything just thought it might be a similar problem
i know a lot of really, REALLY good guitarists who don't know theory, and can't read tabs, much less sheet music.

there are many different approaches, but it's often best to do it by ear. no amount of mathematics will ever sum up how something sounds more than listening to it.

and technical skill comes with listening, and mindless practice
Quote by StrokeMidnight
I use Sibelius, so when I put the notes in I hear whether I'm right or wrong right away. I can't compose directly onto sheet music paper.

Isn't Sibelius great? Coming from exactly the same place, I wrote a ton of really good stuff with it. Then my compy got infected and I had to wipe the hard drive....

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by ShivaSteampunk
i know a lot of really, REALLY good guitarists who don't know theory, and can't read tabs, much less sheet music.

there are many different approaches, but it's often best to do it by ear. no amount of mathematics will ever sum up how something sounds more than listening to it.

and technical skill comes with listening, and mindless practice

Not true

you should be very focused on what you are doing and how if you are learning for example the constant motion solo

You don't get technique from playing scales, but from pushing yourself beyond and not mindlessly

are you trying to say: technical players are stupid or what?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
the key to writing is hitting the ENTER button once in a while, so people like me can read your text.

after you've done this you might get an answer
you are autistic, its obvious thats what the problem is here
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Quote by Blow Me

Why don't you learn?
I don't understand how you can transcribe what you hear in your head to paper but have trouble with melodic dictation. These are pretty much the same thing. Perhaps you're just not very good at reading/writing musical notation.
I get what you mean. Vocal chords need some work if you want them to follow the instructions you give them. I can have a very basic melody in my head consisting of very simple whole and half tones, but when I try to sing them, some intervals and pitches are waaaaaaay off.

To remedy this, just practise singing the major scale on a pitch you are comfortable with, referring to an instrument when you are stuck. Do it daily for an hour or so, and your sight singing and ear will improve.

And you write symphonies? Dude, we should totally do a collab...
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
I think technical ability helps a lot. If look at really great bands, a lot of them know their theory inside and out. So I'd definitely work on it.
Creating music is a process of emotion, which no amount of technical skill can compensate for if you don't have that emotion. It seems you do, so I suggest not worrying and just working with what you got.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Creating music is a process of emotion, which no amount of technical skill can compensate for if you don't have that emotion. It seems you do, so I suggest not worrying and just working with what you got.

then again, all the emotion in the world wont help your playing if you know jack**** about theory and have crap technique.
Quote by CoreysMonster
then again, all the emotion in the world wont help your playing if you know jack**** about theory and have crap technique.

:goldclap:

I hate the "emotion" argument...
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by BlueAltitudes
:goldclap:

I hate the "emotion" argument...

its nothing more than an excuse of people who think that you have to be selftaught and play nothing but blues to be an awesome guitarist and thus dont feel the need to practice or learn theory

look at mother****ing ray charles, the guy was a beast at the piano! he had to be able to shift any song to any key instantaniously to be able to work as a bar pianist back then.

and dont tell me he didnt have feeling.
Quote by gun4hire
you are autistic, its obvious thats what the problem is here

I don't think it's Autism, unless he's a Savant