is it illegal to make a punk or a rock cover of a pop song without the original artist's permission?? i'm just curious
Equipments:
Fender American Telecaster N7
Yamaha CG150
Line 6 Tonecore Echopark
Behringer VAMP 2.0

"There's only two colors around the world. That's pink and green. Making love and making money." - Blacks20
I think so because they still own the lyrics
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
i had that question too
apparently if u put like "*song* belongs to *band*. I am in no way affiliated with *band*" or something along that line, it gives credit to the artist
to be safe, put that in both the description and in the video itslf somewhere
I'm pretty sure it's only really illegal if you plan on putting it on a CD and selling it. I could be wrong though...
I have too much gear to fit!
Lyrics are copyrighted, if the artist is popular. Playing the music is different, I do know that chord progressions can't be copyrighted (then we'd run out of music to write!). Pretty much it depends if anyone important is going to hear it. Small bands do unauthorized covers all the time.

Although once I had a buddy play a show at a venue, and later the venue contacted him to say someone was cracking down on people playing covers without paying royalties, so they had to speak to him. However, he was quickly off the hook when they learned he played an all-original set.

EDIT: Like others said, I wrote what I wrote assuming you'd make money off it (ticket sales).
Last edited by KwikKopy at Dec 9, 2008,
Only if you profit from it!
If you don't profit from playing that song then they can't sue for damages 'cause there are no damages!

Like Coldplay making a soft **** version of that Satch song! if it didn't make millions they would have gotten away with it!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by gunners fan
If you don't profit from playing that song then they can't sue for damages 'cause there are no damages!

Like Coldplay making a soft **** version of that Satch song! if it didn't make millions they would have gotten away with it!

Of course not, because nobody would have heard it and he wouldn't have found out. How many shitty local bands have you ever heard playing Enter Sandman? Meanwhile, a multi-million dollar empire like the WWE wanted to use it for a year and Metallica tried to charge them $13 million.
CoB has made covers of pop songs many times. I doubt that they seek permission from the real artists, they just name them in the credits. But Im not sure.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote by gunners fan

Speaking of which, if it goes through and satch wins, that means coldplay has to remove its album from stores and itunes and give all the profits to satch, right???

itll be a proud day for metalheads everywhere
Quote by sporkman7
Speaking of which, if it goes through and satch wins, that means coldplay has to remove its album from stores and itunes and give all the profits to satch, right???

That's why Satch doesn't want to settle outside of court!
Go Satch!

Potentually the end of Coldplay!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
It's not illegal.

Check out the Dead Kennedys' Cover of Rawhide.

But, did they pay roylties for it?

also on the Dead Kennedys' covers check out "I Faught the law"!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Quote by gunners fan

also on the Dead Kennedys' covers check out "I Faught the law"!

Viva Las Vegas!
Quote by gunners fan

Yes, they would've done.

There was a hoohah a few years ago when a TV program used their cover without paying them a performance royalty, which was subsequently corrected.

EDIT: D'oh! I was thinking about Viva Las Vegas. That's what the hoohah was about. But all the covers would've paid royalties on studio release.
Quote by gunther_sucks
Only if you profit from it.

This. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. If you record one and release it yourself independently then the artist would only mind if they were a huge dickhead, they don't need your royalty money. If you are just planning on playing it I REALLY wouldn't worry about it, people do that all the time. When was the last time you saw a bar band that only played public domain stuff like 3 Blind Mice and The Wheels on The Bus?
what about CDs such as "pop goes punk"etc.
Equipments:
Fender American Telecaster N7
Yamaha CG150
Line 6 Tonecore Echopark
Behringer VAMP 2.0

"There's only two colors around the world. That's pink and green. Making love and making money." - Blacks20
Quote by sporkman7

No they would just have to give a portion of the prophets to Satch. God I love Satch but he is being a dickhead about this. The melody that sounds similliar is like 30 seconds in If I Could Fly, Jesus.
Quote by vanshaya
CoB has made covers of pop songs many times. I doubt that they seek permission from the real artists, they just name them in the credits. But Im not sure.

Wow, they better watch themselves. I doubt they make enough money to get sued for infringement and save enough for nail polish.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Ask Coldplay
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
you can legally cover whatever you want usually, as long as you credit it properly and pay royalties.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Beakwithteeth
When was the last time you saw a bar band that only played public domain stuff like 3 Blind Mice and The Wheels on The Bus?

A metal version of The Wheels On The Bus? You, sir, have given me a great idea and for that, I shall consider sharing any potential profist I make from this idea with the hobo down my street.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Beakwithteeth
No they would just have to give a portion of the prophets to Satch. God I love Satch but he is being a dickhead about this. The melody that sounds similliar is like 30 seconds in If I Could Fly, Jesus.

Speaking of wich, I'm istening to the Mash-up on Youtube right now & If Coldplay & Satch had a brain they would just re-release Viva La Vida/If I could fly as a mash-up & split the profits! It sounds awsome! If you haven't heard it yet,
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=w3kytzHrKpo&feature=related
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Playing it live you shouldn't have to worry because you aren't profiting from the song sale itself but for playing the show. Recording it and selling is where you have to give credit and pay royalties.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.