Hey guys, so I've been havin' some trouble with band members -

I recently joined a band that consisted of a drummer, lead guitarist and bassist + crap singer, I asked to join on rhythm + vocals and the guitarist and drummer were all for it, so I'm now with em. The guitarist and drummer are both completely capable, but the bassist only took up bass to be in the band, is a terrible singer and is afraid I'm trying to replace him. Which I kinda am. I've got another mate who's an awesome bassist, and I spoke to the other 2 about replacing our current one, which they both support, but theyre afraid that if they kick him out theyll lose him as a friend too etc. Should I try to replace him, leave him in and hope he'll get better, or quit and find a new band? The only reason I'm concerned about leaving them is coz we all have the same music taste, which is hard to find around here.

suggestions?
Gear:

Epiphone 1966 Ltd. SG
Epiphone SG G-400 (RIP)
Yamaha C310P
Kustom Quad DFX100
Roland Microcube (... I use it as an ipod speaker now XD)
Boss Ns-2 Noise suppressor
Boss Md-2 Mega distortion
Boss Dn-2 Dyna Drive
Vox V847 Wah
depends on how long you've been in the band

If it's too early... never know. People get pissy.

Also, try an ultimatum. Unless they get better, they get the boot -type thing. Lessons, lessons, lessons. Practice, practice, practice.

And when that doesn't work, give 'em the boot (because they won't get good enough, fast enough, right?)
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I'd say stay out of it. Since you're the newbie band member the bassist will just get mad that you are trying to kick him out, and nothing good can come from that. If the other two original members want to kick him out, then definitely let them, but I'd say stand on the sidelines and don't get involved. (Maybe have them suggest that he could practice bass and singing and rejoin the band later? It might ease the tension)
yeh the whole me being the newest is my biggest concern, **** goes wrong, I don't want it to backfire. But yeh I guess I'll just have to be passive for now, maybe I could try introducing some funk repertoire to single out his weakness as a way of showing the other 2 why he needs to go?
Gear:

Epiphone 1966 Ltd. SG
Epiphone SG G-400 (RIP)
Yamaha C310P
Kustom Quad DFX100
Boss Dn-2 Dyna Drive
Vox V847 Wah
He's bad at bass in general, and since funk (particularly funk rock like RHCP) really requires a skilled bassist, itll perhaps prove my point to the others
Gear:

Epiphone 1966 Ltd. SG
Epiphone SG G-400 (RIP)
Yamaha C310P
Kustom Quad DFX100
Boss Dn-2 Dyna Drive
Vox V847 Wah
Well, since hes bad in general this doesn't really apply, but just because a bassist can't do funk/isn't funky doesn't mean he's bad at bass, just because you're a bassist doesn't mean you need to be funky, its annoying to be a bassist and some guy says, "Hey play some FUNK" and then you're expected to be able to because you're a bassist.

Though if he is bad in general and not just at funk, you shouldn't have any problems firing him.
Quote by sluffinator
He's bad at bass in general, and since funk (particularly funk rock like RHCP) really requires a skilled bassist, itll perhaps prove my point to the others

Every bassist should be exactly like Flea in my overconfident, selfish, rude opinion.