I've been considering getting some pedals for bass this christmas. I've already got some guitar pedals but no bass pedals. What are the possibilities for bass pedals? I know about chrous pedals, but I was thinking bass overdrives and distortion pedals. Also do we bassists get stuff like Flangers, Delay and Phasers and stuff like that?
Pretty much any pedal for guitar will have a bass version for it unless its something like the Boss Delay which is used for both bass and guitar. What kind of things are you interested in?
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Ey yea im the same pretty nooby to bass pedals, i got my Bass Cry Baby Wah not long ago i love it, but now i need more. What exactly will a chorus pedal do?
Pedal virgin? Mmmm... yous gonna be sore...

Because I'd recommend the Sansamp BDDI or the MXR Blowtorch, both fine bass distortions
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
make it sound like more than one bass.

check out some subtler overdrives Pizza, I can't be asked to conjure any up.
and tuner pedals are always useful.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by mountaindew88
Pedal virgin? Mmmm... yous gonna be sore...

Because I'd recommend the Sansamp BDDI or the MXR Blowtorch, both fine bass distortions

I've actually tried the blowtorch and I have to say I wouldn't recommend it. It can produce some good sounds, but it's not very versatile and it's a tad weak overall. I'd choose the Boss bass overdrive over it any day.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
I have the GT-10B. Bow down before me.

my singer/bassist (different bands same person) has one and I have a GT8 they rock, I wanna get a GT10 now lol
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
AVA_Plus44_182, if you would choose the Boss Overdrive over the Blowtorch, that thing must be really bad. I personally think the best overdrive is the Sansamp Bass Driver.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
There are many guitar pedals that double on bass, but sometimes things like distortion will suck out the low end. A great distortion/fuzz is the EHX Big Muff Pi, a decent range of sound and not much low-end suck (depending on version). As stated before delay works for pretty much anything, chorus also seems to work for both. I have a flanger specifically for bass because it lets more of my normal tone come throuhg. The most fun I've had is with the EHX Micro POG octave pedal, one octave up and one octave down lead to crazy thick sound.
Quote by druz15_UG
my singer/bassist (different bands same person) has one and I have a GT8 they rock, I wanna get a GT10 now lol

Yea, dude, it's awesome, it's quite a lot easier to use than the GT-8 and you can use the advanced features more easily too. Plus the flashing lights are just plain awesome lol.

Quote by CNC-Digity
AVA_Plus44_182, if you would choose the Boss Overdrive over the Blowtorch, that thing must be really bad. I personally think the best overdrive is the Sansamp Bass Driver.

Well, yea, the sansamp is probably the most classic bass overdrive there is, and it's damn near the best one there is, but it isn't THE best cause it's not that versatile. It can't get the nice fuzz that the muff can, and it can't get quite get the really aggressive sound that the Boss can.

And the Boss overdrive isn't that bad, I think it's pretty good. The fundamental sound quality isn't as good as the muff or the sansamp, but its capabilities are pretty good and it's tone control is nice.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Dec 9, 2008,
I disagree with your statement about the aggressiveness of the Sansamp. My tone is pretty damn aggressive. The Sansamp can really push out some hard hitting sounds. It's also possible it could just be my setup. Sansamp Bass Driver + Boss GEB-7(with mids being boosted) + mids from my active preamp on my bass full + 2x12 speakers + single coil pickup soloed. Then again I think the Boss Overdrive sounds kinda cheesey.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Last edited by CNC-Digity at Dec 9, 2008,
Best effects for bass, in my opinion, are..

Octaver
Chorus
Envelope or auto-wah
Fuzz

You can have fun with other effects but i think the above are most likely to be used.

Compressors and EQ's are not effects, guys.
Auto-Wah
EQ
Fuzzlyrz *Taste the sound*

Or just get a multi effect and get this over with... Can't recommend one right now :< Maybe later hehe.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Applehead
Best effects for bass, in my opinion, are..

Octaver
Chorus
Envelope or auto-wah
Fuzz

You can have fun with other effects but i think the above are most likely to be used.

Compressors and EQ's are not effects, guys.

That's about the core list of pedals I would recommend. I tend to use my chorus and fuzz/distortion pedal quite a bit.

On Delays. I really love my delay pedal, but tbh, I don't use it a tonne in the groups I play with--its a wonderful effect, but I wouldn't consider it a must have one, esp. if you are just starting to foray into buying pedals.
chorus
octave
wah

those are good places to start with.

Also, try out some of your guitar pedals on your bass, you can get some cool stuff that way. though you usually loose alot of the bottom end of your sound
What about a synth pedal? I don't really know what that fully is, but it is an intriguing prospect...
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Last edited by NakedBassist at Dec 9, 2008,
I have a Delay, Chorus, Overdrive, Phaser.

I use the delay occasionally. I really haave ended up using it more for guitar, then I do for bass.

The Phaser is fun effect, I can just never find a place to use it. But something about making jet engine sounds just seemed like a really great idea to me at the store.

Chorus and Overdrive, I use all of the time. The Digitech Chorus is great, fairly cheap as well. And I have a Boss OBD-3, it's okay, it gets the job done for me, but there are far better pedals out there. Both the Fulltone bass driver and MXR Blowtorch are lightyears ahead of it.
the Blowtorch is a fuzz more than a distortion or overdrive, it's sounds like something Chris Wostleholme would use to be honest. for fuzz, that, the Attack Goat, and the MB Assmaster are all fine tools. this is best used for grind metal, heavier alternative, but is often refrained from when there are fuzzy or heavily distorted guitars, to prevent the mix from becoming a wall of mud. it is most commonly refrained from in blues, jazz, and country, though numerous forward thinking bassists have tastefully applied it there to add an edge to the mix.

overdrive, I'd say the one I'd use is the old favorite, the Sansamp Bass Driver. this is used to imitate a pumped tube amp, and as such, is often a better choice for replicating older yet heavier styles of music, but it also suits pop rock, rock, lterntive, and metal well.

chorus, stick with the Digitech; Digitech does a lot of things terribly but the chorus pedals are great. chorus is used to add a bit of depth to a bassline, it's used for some jazz, a little bit of acid, but it really can fit in most types of music. if you usually don't like effects, chorus is the weapon for you.

I would suggest others but those ones are the ones I've looked the most into, and as you can see, the fuzz more extensively than the others.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Compression and EQ are pedals and are essentials on any pedal board!

I use the BBE OptoStomp and it's awesome, can't actually play without it now, sounds so loose. Compression shouldn't be an excuse for bad technique but it sure as hell helps cause we all play duff notes and stuff.

Boss GEB7 EQ pedal, great for switching between soft subtle indie and aggressive punk tones.

Im currently looking for a synth pedal to nail some tones im dying to get and possibly a grit-adder, it's not always possible to get the tone from my amp live, and I hate it when I cant A grit adding distortion will let me get the lightly clipped tone from my preamp.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
just remember, if you don't know exactly what needs to be added to improve your sound don't buy anything because that's how money gets wasted
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
just remember, if you don't know exactly what needs to be added to improve your sound don't buy anything because that's how money gets wasted

shhh.

other people wasting money boosts OUR economy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know that I will at least need a good bass disto box at the very least. I have neglected geting pedals for too long and I am too afraid to run my bass through guitar pedals for fear of damage. But If this helps I'm trying to get a FX that are good for a modern prog rock tone along the lines of Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree.
Check out the Sansamp VT bass.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Personally,
I think you would find a chorus pedal the most useful for yourself. Boss makes a really good one that isn't that expensive.

If your looking on not spending a lot of money and still want great quality pedals that sound pretty good, Boss is the company to do it with.

-Zeelod

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
Personally,
I think you would find a chorus pedal the most useful for yourself. Boss makes a really good one that isn't that expensive.

If your looking on not spending a lot of money and still want great quality pedals that sound pretty good, Boss is the company to do it with.

-Zeelod

Wat? I always thought that while Boss had the best quality, they were still ridiculously over priced

Maybe not, I havent checked out there stuff in a few months
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I've been considering getting some pedals for bass this christmas. I've already got some guitar pedals but no bass pedals. What are the possibilities for bass pedals? I know about chrous pedals, but I was thinking bass overdrives and distortion pedals. Also do we bassists get stuff like Flangers, Delay and Phasers and stuff like that?

Tried them ALL!!! and the absolute best for bass are the EBS pedals!

www.ebssweden.com
Quote by yingyangthang
Wat? I always thought that while Boss had the best quality, they were still ridiculously over priced

Maybe not, I havent checked out there stuff in a few months

Nah dude, I've taken apart many boss pedals and digitech pedals,

and the digitechs are definitely of a poorer quality.
Boss is good for the money that you pay for it.

my 2 cents
-Zeelod

Love the Low end
I recommend:
Octave
EQ
Wah
Overdrive
Chorus
Compression
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Hello, I'm Zacc and I'm a Pedal addict.

At the moment I have,

A Boss bass overdrive (nice fat overdrive that really really keeps the low rumble of your bass)
Sovtek Big Muff (the green 70's one, aaw yea!)
Vox Wah (kind of Low sucking, but sounds great with a boost pedal)
Boss Bass Chorus (very nice spacey sounding effect, alot of cynical bastards who know's the sound definition will just go, say, it just sounds like, "repeat definition" usually probably it draws away from them,)
and I have an 80's Boss Heavy Metal Pedal, (thick distortion, the clip pedal I use least so I usually leave the volume cranked with least gain and a bit more high's than lows for the volume boost in solo's, still gives me a little bit of crunch/grit, I kind of dig it)

on MY list, I need

a good compression pedal.
and a Tuner pedal

and I want

An Octave with a selectabe expression pedal :P
Phaser
Flange
Envelope
Synth
Delay
another Chorus
Volume pedal.

I suggest you maintain your pedal virginity.
its alot harder to quit than to start.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Sansamp Bass Driver FTW, Gallien-Krueger Diesel Dawg rocks too.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
This has nothing to do with this thread but how do you pronounce envelope as in envelope filter.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
like the thing you put a letter in, an envelope. Same word, sorta same meaning.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Thats what i thought except a friend of mine keeps saying it different. Just wondering.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul